Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it strange that an NBA player would go to a college fitness center in the middle of a season and completely dominate a bunch of intermural or worse caliber players (with the exception of a few)? I thought it was. Every so often I'll get to run pick up with a pro player, but never during the season.

Today, I walked into this fitness center at Oklahoma Central University where I was surprised to see JR Smith running pick up games. He was running with John Lucas, who played for the Rockets for a little bit and I think is in the NBDL.

I know this guy doesn't actually get minutes for the Hornets, but is there something in your contract that says you're not allowed to play pick up basketball (or non-team related basketball) during the season? It would actually be alright if he was playing against some players his calibur, but what ended up happening is he just attacked the hoop and dunked so many times that people just started fouling the hell out of him. Pretty high risk for injury, and it couldn't have been that fun considering how much better he was than everyone else except his teammate Lucas.

Anyways, what's up with this guy? He had a promising rookie year and seems to have fallen off the curve of expectations. Is he still going to be a star like some thought or will he continue to fade like he did this year?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
when ur coach says the nba mean NO BABIES ALLOWED when ur name is brought up, i think it means u have an attitude problem

Reactions: Carbo04

·
Registered
12,466 Posts
he is one of the players who i really think would be great in a system like the suns', run and gun.. fly down the court and dunk.
i think he will be moved over the off-season, which i think is a bad move on the hornets behalf... they have a young team, which is only going to get better and they dont play a great athletic player with the ability to be a star.
paul, snyder, smith, west etc.. the hornets future looks bright as they come.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
He'll get traded to a better team and go from there. Byron Scott is kinda a little *****. Just because you don't get along with Byron Scott doesn't mean you have an attitude problem. Hell, it probably means your human. I get an attitude problem just watching him on TV. I can't imagine having to play with him.

Heard he was really close to being a spur. If the Nuggets or Bulls don't make a deal for him this offseason, they are ****ing retarded.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
2,998 Posts
futuristxen said:
Heard he was really close to being a spur. If the Nuggets or Bulls don't make a deal for him this offseason, they are ****ing retarded.
Yeah, I think he's a good fit in Denver. But, I don't think he's jibby enough for Paxson and Skiles' taste. Actually, I can already see him becoming Eddie Basden's Skiles doghouse buddies.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I'll take the mutha****a in Houston!

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
JR smith is actually a pretty good player. future allstar if given a chance...

so did you play with him or what?

Reactions: Carbo04

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
pac4eva5 said:
so did you play with him or what?
Yeah, I played two games against him but lost both obviously. They ran the court for almost 10 games before they left. It was him and John Lucas too and nobody could guard either of them.

I think Byron Scott is right about the attitude problem though.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Yeah, I played two games against him but lost both obviously. They ran the court for almost 10 games before they left. It was him and John Lucas too and nobody could guard either of them.

I think Byron Scott is right about the attitude problem though.
what an experience though. i would have loved to hit a three on one of them...

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
If JR Smith got injured playing a pickup game, the media would say he's stupid.

But I would applaud him. He's got a guaranteed contract. He's not getting play from the team. If he got hurt, he should just blame Scott. "That's your fault for not playing me; I gotta play with scrubs cuz I love this game so damn much!"

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.