Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 90% of this board that endlessly mocked Kahn eat crow? The Rubio doubters already have I take it.

I watched them play yesterday without Rubio, Kirilenko or Love and didn't realize how deep they were. Their strength is obviously in the frontcourt, but their backcourt is vastly improved. Ridnour and Roy are both serviceable starters. Shevid (?) and Barea are perfect off the bench and can make things happen on both ends of the floor.

I'm not even sure if Martell Webster is still on the team (man I really didn't follow the comings and goings this offseason) but I even forgot Derrick Williams existed until he checked in. While I still think he's another year away from being a contributor, he'll have a couple breakout games here and there.

If they can stay around 500 without Rubio I don't see any stopping them from getting into the postseason.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Kahn is joke, always will be. How about the way he lied and made himself look foolish during the nic batum negotiation? No amount of winning will erase that. Or when he f's up the Love trade that is coming. Or when he used two top draft picks in the same year on PG's lol. He is a dogshit GM and any future moves that are good I will give aldelman all the credit.

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
Kahn's earned his ridicule with a litany of bad drafts and personnel choices - and scraping into the play offs isnt going to change history

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Where do you get off saying Roy is a serviceable starter, when is the last time that was true? Until he does it, he isn't.
Um, he averaged 22 points per game in his third year, and in the playoffs he was a very clutch player for the Blazers in games 3 and 4 against Dallas. He's clearly a serviceable starter.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
Um, he averaged 22 points per game in his third year, and in the playoffs he was a very clutch player for the Blazers in games 3 and 4 against Dallas. He's clearly a serviceable starter.
last time he was a serviceable starter was 3 seasons ago. Lol So what the hell are you judging this on? One preseason game? you're a damn homer

·
Registered
10,500 Posts
dude you do know that Roy has suffered a series of injuries to his knees and didnt play last season (and in fact kind of retired) - so I'm not sure what his 22ppg 4 years ago has to do with anything - I dont think anyone on the board would argue that Roy circa 2008 wasnt a serviceable starter

but as for this season I guess it depends on how you define 'serviceable starter'

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
3 years ago the Wolves 8 best players were Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, Randy Foye, Mike Miller, Animal Smith, Sebastain Telfair, Corey Brewer and Ryan Gomes.

The only guys on that roster he was able to salvage anything for were Foye and Miller, which he traded for Rubio. Rubio is the closest thing the league has seen to Jason Kidd and the other two are bench players.

He is in probably the second least desirable NBA city after Milwaukee and he realizes he's never going to get home run free agents. So now he got a great core of role players around Love and Rubio and none are breaking the bank outside of Kirilenko (who is on a pretty short term deal).

To go from dead awful to where they are now in 3 years is pretty impressive. Teams like Detroit or Golden State on the other hand are exactly where they were back then.

·
2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
26,553 Posts
Kahn is easy to ridicule because of the Jonny Flynn pickup (and the 1,000 other PG's he drafted), Wesley Johnson over DeMarcus Cousins, and the Manna from Heaven chat...but honestly he has done some solid work over the past 2 offseasons.

If the Wolves do make the playoffs this year, that'd be a great story. Been a long time since Minny was even relevant - so hopefully this is their year to make some strides. Great young duo in Rubio and Love, a solid C in Pekovic and some vets that can produce (if healthy) in Roy and Kirilenko, they'll be one of the more interesting teams to watch this year.

Like Jamel said also: they've got some good depth with Ridnour, Barea, Williams, Shved...

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
They're a fun team. I was actually able to catch a game live last season when they came to Atlanta, Love missed I buzzer beater if I recall correctly but they put on a fun show. Rubio is one of those players that everyone should see live at least once.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
dude you do know that Roy has suffered a series of injuries to his knees and didnt play last season (and in fact kind of retired) - so I'm not sure what his 22ppg 4 years ago has to do with anything - I dont think anyone on the board would argue that Roy circa 2008 wasnt a serviceable starter

but as for this season I guess it depends on how you define 'serviceable starter'
And yet he was able to get a new kind of surgery on his knees, the things that were holding him back. If he can get past those injury issues, expect to see some of the old Brandon Roy, not the 22 points per game Roy but he will definitely be a serviceable starter, and by serviceable I mean someone who's able to be a very valuable starter for a team (well...that's how I view it anyways).

·
Lifetime Member
24,723 Posts
I watched more Timberwolves games than any other teams last year, aside from the Heat obviously. They're a fun team to watch, the Rubio/Love combo is brilliant, and Kirilenko is a great pickup if the Olympics are anything to go by. I've also always been a big fan of Brandon Roy's game so that's just more reason for me to watch them again this year. Fingers crossed he stays healthy.

Is there a rough date set for Rubio's return? Will we see him before the new year?

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
I don't think I was ever too vocal about Kahn, although I have stated once or twice I fully expect things to somehow wind up going south with this squad. Kahn got off to a pretty shaky start and made some poor decisions, but in the last several years he's done a very solid job of putting a good young team out there. I expect Roy to be more of a designated hitter type of guy for stretches where you NEED to get buckets, and to see some mixture of Shved and Barea playing most of the minutes at the two (if they want Roy healthy for the playoffs, at least).

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
so is Derrick Williams going to be playing out of position his entire career with the Timber Wolves?
What do you think his position is?

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
If this team is ever at full strength, Derrick Williams will be their back-up PF. AK-47 will likely start with Chase Budinger backing up at the 3-spot.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts