Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know who said they were trying to groom Travis Outlaw to be a SG but Nash tells me otherwise in an email. Nash went off to say Outlaw's natural position is SF and him playing SG isn't much of a possibility.

He said he has seen Gerald Green and says he is very athletic.

He also states that they DESPERATELY need help at the SG position. He thinks Monia will come to make an impact next season though.

He will explore trading the pick for a veteran, moving up, moving down and if nothing comes about he will draft the best player available, not on position.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Thanks for the update, Sambonius.

An emailer (I think it was actually Hap) brought up the Travis Outlaw at shooting guard thing last night on Courtside. The reply on courtside was that shooting guards are forced to make too many decisions with the ball, and Travis isn't ready for that yet. They said the team has every intention on keeping him at the 3.

-Pop

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
SodaPopinski said:
Thanks for the update, Sambonius.

An emailer (I think it was actually Hap) brought up the Travis Outlaw at shooting guard thing last night on Courtside. The reply on courtside was that shooting guards are forced to make too many decisions with the ball, and Travis isn't ready for that yet. They said the team has every intention on keeping him at the 3.

-Pop
actually, what I brought up was that Outlaw at SG would be better than Derek Anderson at SG...hehe

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
I'm anti-Gerald Green.......

Draft Rudy!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
I'm anti-Gerald Green.......

Draft Rudy!
[STRIKE]No, you're just pro-light skin.[/STRIKE] Morrison and Rudy, the future.

Saying a person likes only light skinned players is calling them racist and a personal attack. Personal attacks aren't allowed here. If you have any problems with this or questions, send me a PM - gambitnut

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Sambonius said:
[STRIKE]No, you're just pro-light skin.[/STRIKE] Morrison and Rudy, the future.

Saying a person likes only light skinned players is calling them racist and a personal attack. Personal attacks aren't allowed here. If you have any problems with this or questions, send me a PM - gambitnut
No, I love Outlaws game and other dark skinned players, but me need to mix our athleticism with some actual skill type players.....

How many teams full of strictly athletic players do you ever see win the championship.....

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zagsfan20 said:
No, I love Outlaws game and other dark skinned players, but me need to mix our athleticism with some actual skill type players.....

How many teams full of strictly athletic players do you ever see win the championship.....
Agreed to a certain extent, but when you have a chance to acquire a potential super-star talent like Green who has been compared to McGrady you have to do it. Rudy has been compared to Ginobilli which is great and all but obviously T-Mac is the guy you'd have to go with. Not that either of these players will certainly reach those levels, but you go with the one that has the higher ceiling. If anything, you can draft someone like Green and start someone like Viktor at SF, a better balance of athleticism and smarts. I don't think there is any question that you have to take someone like Green over Rudy, Green can really shoot the ball and handle the ball too, by all accounts.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got another email from John Nash, saying he is likely to move one of our small forwards in the off season, I suggested Darius Miles and fillers to New York for Penny, Sweetney, Ariza or pick. Also said Theo has been injured ALL season and his play has been compromised all season because of it. More to come...

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Sambonius said:
Agreed to a certain extent, but when you have a chance to acquire a potential super-star talent like Green who has been compared to McGrady you have to do it. Rudy has been compared to Ginobilli which is great and all but obviously T-Mac is the guy you'd have to go with. Not that either of these players will certainly reach those levels, but you go with the one that has the higher ceiling. If anything, you can draft someone like Green and start someone like Viktor at SF, a better balance of athleticism and smarts. I don't think there is any question that you have to take someone like Green over Rudy, Green can really shoot the ball and handle the ball too, by all accounts.
And Qyntel was once compared to T-Mac too......

I dont think GM's draft players based on what a mock draft site compares players to.....

I have seen a couple websites that label Green as the next James Posey as well.....

This team is lacking fundamental players and I think it would be a good decision to go after a player like Rudy....

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zagsfan20 said:

I dont think GM's draft players based on what a mock draft site compares players to.....

I have seen a couple websites that label Green as the next James Posey as well.....

This team is lacking fundamental players and I think it would be a good decision to go after a player like Rudy....
Well a lot of players are compared to other players, doesn't really mean anything. There was a reason Qyntel dropped from a top 5 pick to a 20+ pick. I think you forget Monia is coming over in the summer, who is a very fundamental player. I'm not opposed to drafting Rudy, but if you were going for strictly a SG, then I think Green would have to be it. If Nash thinks there is a better prospect than both, that isn't a SG then he should take them, and perhaps trade for a mid or late 1st rounder to take Rudy. By the way, James Posey isn't a bad player at all.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
zagsfan20 said:

How many times have you seen Fernandez play?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
There was a reason Qyntel dropped from a top 5 pick to a 20+ pick.
And theres the same chance that Green might fall to that kind of a pick too....Both are physically gifted, but both are headcases.....

There is still alot of time between now and the draft...

I still think that Nash might trade up for Bogut or Williams.....

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Spoolie Gee said:
How many times have you seen Fernandez play?
I have seen him play several times on NBA TV, a couple games in the Olympics and I have about 6 or 7 games of his downloaded on my realplayer.....

I have a good grasp of what Rudy is all about.......

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Spoolie Gee said:
Ok, and how many times have you seen Gerald Green play?
A couple of times......Enought times to see that he is a good high schooler in a weak high school class.....Him and Brandon Rush (Kareems lil brother) have played twice this year and both times they have played pretty evenly against each other.....

Why go the skinny, high school T-Mac route......When this team already lacks fundamental smart players....

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
zagsfan20 said:
Why go the skinny, high school T-Mac route......When this team already lacks fundamental smart players....

I will take your word for it about Rudy Fernandez being the better prospect since I havent seen either play other then a few flashes but calling Green skinny is a bit silly since Fernandez is a stick.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I wonder why Monia would be more equipped to play the 2 long-term than Outlaw. Certainly the Blazers have seen him a TON more than I have, but Sergei's played almost exclusively the 3 as I understand it.

Ed O.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ed O said:
I wonder why Monia would be more equipped to play the 2 long-term than Outlaw. Certainly the Blazers have seen him a TON more than I have, but Sergei's played almost exclusively the 3 as I understand it.

Ed O.
I've seen Monia play the 2 for CSKA, he can play it well. I wouldn't think there is a problem with Sergei playing the 2 in the NBA.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Spoolie Gee said:
I will take your word for it about Rudy Fernandez being the better prospect since I havent seen either play other then a few flashes but calling Green skinny is a bit silly since Fernandez is a stick.
FWIW, Green's being listed at 6'7", 210. Fernandez is listed at 6'5", 185.

How accurate those are is questionable, of course (I've read that Fernandez is closer to 6'4" and that Green is only about 200 pounds), but I agree that calling Green out for being skinny seems strange considering Green is over 7 months younger than Rudy.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts