Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's so frustrating. This team goes out there and gives everything they have but they are always short. They are missing something. They need a real sf that can ease the scoring burden and play some solid defense in the worst way (Posey anyone?). It seems that every game no matter how hard the Bulls play they aren't going to win. Eddy Curry & Jamal Crawford absolutely went off last night. They even played solid defense. And I don't want to hear that Jamal couldn't contain Allen, he's just one of those guys that if he's having a good game he can't be stopped. Eddy played like a man, he played with some fire and some aggression and I loved it! Jamal had several nice drives inside. He had one where he made a little jump stop in the middle of the lane for the lil shot that was beautiful. He had another that was similar to the play he had last year against Seattle where he bounced it off of the backboard for a dunk. I'm depressed for the kids. They are going into a gun fight every night with a little .22 while other teams are busting out uzi's. Our vets are horrible. Ad needs to retire, Gill is good for spot play only, E-Rob shows some promise but he's far from an all star and very inconsistant and injured, Brunson is a third string pg at best, Pippen isn't doing anyone any good. The only solid vets this season have been JYD (who isn't playing that great right now), Blount, and Gill to a degree. Dupree and Hinrich are both rookies! The team NEEDS a better supporting cast.

I say keep Curry, Crawford, Hinrich & Chandler. Try to keep JYD but deal him if you have to. Same thing with Dupree. See if you can deal any of the vets to a team making a playoff push. I doubt they would take them but it is worth a try. At least the team showed a flash last evening of HOW they can eventually come together. Now we just need to get them some help.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I agree.

I think they should trade their pick no matter what. Adding youth isn't helping. I'd like Pax to go for something big in the off-season.

Antoine Walker

Why not? Everyone will be focused on Kobe. If Pax can use the lottery pick (possibly #1) to trade Davis then the Bulls would have some flexibility.

I don't know. I'm still wasted.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The SG and SF spots are huge liabilites for us right now I agree. I actually am okay with AD and JYD as long as they are backing up Eddy and Tyson and only playing 18-20 minutes a game. The main problem is someone who can consistently give us 35 minutes a game at SF. Dupree/Pip could cover backup minutes there. Gill once he is healthy is very solid as backup SG for 15-20 minutes. A backup PG is a desperate need. Kirk is wearing down in a hurry. I love him as starting PG at 32 minutes a game or so. We need a solid backup to him ASAP. Problem lies in who do we have to acquire them. Maybe Fizer for the backup PG spot(Jaric?). Maybe our draft pick for starting SF(but who will be available?) Then again we may use MLE on a starting SF like Eric Williams. But if we do that can we afford to also spend big money on JC? The answer is no. Hence the problem Paxson has right now.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I'm not ok w/ a back-up center playing 18 minutes and making 12 million dollars. We shouldn't have to lose our starting sg b/c Davis and Williams are making 19 million a season.

I like the idea of a back-up pg for Kirk that isn't Rick Brunson. Travis Best, Antonio Daniels or someone like that would be cool.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think JC is perfectly fine backing up Kirk. We do need another solid vet pg though instead of Brunson. And we need a wing badly.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Here is how I see it, basically this is what we have:

Hinrich,???
Crawford,???
???,???
Chandler,JYD
Curry,Davis

That is 4 spots that need to be filled. We have a draft pick,Fizer,and Erob as bait. Will not get everything we need with those assets. For someone to take JYD,ERob or AD they will want JC. Out of those 3 contracts ERob is the one that needs to go the most. Some disagree but I think this is the truth. Including JC is only way one of those contracts gets moved. Face facts that is the truth. Fizer/Gill for Jaric/Ely. JC/Erob for Daniels/Frahm/Potapenko. Trade draft pick for a SF(Tim Thomas?) and sign a vet SG to go with Jaric. This are the kind of moves we have to make.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by <b>basghetti80</b>!
Here is how I see it, basically this is what we have:

Hinrich,???
Crawford,???
???,???
Chandler,JYD
Curry,Davis

That is 4 spots that need to be filled. We have a draft pick,Fizer,and Erob as bait. Will not get everything we need with those assets. For someone to take JYD,ERob or AD they will want JC. Out of those 3 contracts ERob is the one that needs to go the most. Some disagree but I think this is the truth. Including JC is only way one of those contracts gets moved. Face facts that is the truth. Fizer/Gill for Jaric/Ely. JC/Erob for Daniels/Frahm/Potapenko. Trade draft pick for a SF(Tim Thomas?) and sign a vet SG to go with Jaric. This are the kind of moves we have to make.
Moving Crawford just opens up another spot. Besides, Crawford is primed to break out. Could be late this season, could be next season, could be tomorrow. IMO, trading him for anything short of a star would be a huge mistake. I think Gill can work as a back up sg. I think JC can work playing the pg minutes that Hinrich doesn't. I do think we need to add another solid vet pg. We DEFINITLEY need a solid sf, thats the most glaring need. If we added one of them then we could use Gill/DUpree as sf backups. This roster is just a mess. In any case, I don't see where moving JC is going to make things any better.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'd have to pretty much agree with what's been written here. This has been one frustrating season.

This team does really need some backcourt help. Jamal and Kirk are a nice backcourt tandem but there's nodoby to back them up. Jamal can play 40+ minutes a night and score in bunches but it sure would be nice to have a decent vet to come in and play backup minutes and provide solid defense. We also need a backup PG in the worst way. I think that after this season, Kirk will be in better condition both physically and mentally to play 35-40 mins a night but right now he's toast. We've got nobody of any quality to play spot minutes at the PG and SG slots. Brunson? Gill? Yech.

The SF spot is simply non-existant. JYD is nice but he can't even make a layup. He's purely a hustle off the bench guy. Pip was a gamble that failed. E-Rob has played pretty well and he can at least make an 18ft jumper with regularity but he's got absolutly no ball handling skills and is incapable of breaking a defense down off the dribble. Dupree is a great hustle guy but he really is 12th man/IR material.

Up front we really need a true backup center. Curry looks like he's finally rounding into shape but we've got no backup. I don't like AD playing the center spot simply because he's not big enough. Hopefully in a week or two Chandler will get his wind back and can start to take the bulk of the minutes at the PF spot. He'll help. Bount is a solid vet and for what he makes I think he's a valuable player. I no longer cringe when he's taking that 18 foot shot near the top of the key.

There are still quite a few holes to fill and I wouldn't be heartbroken to see some of our "vets" gone after this season (or before feb 19th) and replaced with somewhat younger vets who can contribute more.

The interesting part will be the draft. Do we keep the pick or trade it? Are we going to continue to stink enough that we'll get a top-3 pick or will we play like last season where we finish pretty strong and end up with a pick in the 5-9 range. Right now, if it's a top three pick, I'm inclined to trade it either for that SF that we don't have right now or at least trade down, pick up a valuable vet and still have a pick to fill a hole. I know this, I don't want any more projects out of the draft.

At this point, I'm just looking at our players and trying to see what they've got. I'm hoping that the 19th passes rather uneventfully for us. Keep Jamal and let's see what he's got. Get Tyson up to speed and get him out there with Jamal, Kirk and Eddy and put them thru their paces. If these guys are supposed to be our future, what better time than the present to find out if they are?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
a couple of random thoughts of mine

Not only are we going to finish with the worst record in the NBA, it wont even be close

No one on this team is untouchable, including Kirk.

Curry has shown that when motivated or whatever that he can score on anyone, the problem is that he doesnt wake up til Feb, not in November. If anyone stays its him cause of his tremendous upside

The Bulls shouldnt build around Skiles over players. We are not talking about phil jackson or jerry sloane here. There are guys without jobs right now who are a better coach then he is

Pray, and i mean pray, for Okafor or Deng as a late June Xmas gift

If the Bulls want to find a sleeper, sign Arvydas Macijauskas to a FA contract this summer. I havent seen a kid improve his game more from one season to the next. Think Drazen Petrovic. This kid is pouring in high 20s every night in the Euroleague with fearless drives and outside shooting not seen in a long time. But do we even scout Europe?

·
Registered
112 Posts
You guys who are proposing that we trade our lottery pick, obviously haven't seen Emeka Okafor play. The guy is the real deal, a defensive monster with a nice stroke. Watch for him.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by <b>Bullwhip</b>!
You guys who are proposing that we trade our lottery pick, obviously haven't seen Emeka Okafor play. The guy is the real deal, a defensive monster with a nice stroke. Watch for him.

He plays a position the Bulls have already filled and there's only a slim chance of the Bulls getting the #1 anyway. Trading the pick for a sf is a great idea IMO.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
It's so frustrating. This team goes out there and gives everything they have but they are always short. They are missing something. They need a real sf that can ease the scoring burden and play some solid defense in the worst way (Posey anyone?). It seems that every game no matter how hard the Bulls play they aren't going to win. Eddy Curry & Jamal Crawford absolutely went off last night. They even played solid defense. And I don't want to hear that Jamal couldn't contain Allen, he's just one of those guys that if he's having a good game he can't be stopped. Eddy played like a man, he played with some fire and some aggression and I loved it! Jamal had several nice drives inside. He had one where he made a little jump stop in the middle of the lane for the lil shot that was beautiful. He had another that was similar to the play he had last year against Seattle where he bounced it off of the backboard for a dunk. I'm depressed for the kids. They are going into a gun fight every night with a little .22 while other teams are busting out uzi's. Our vets are horrible. Ad needs to retire, Gill is good for spot play only, E-Rob shows some promise but he's far from an all star and very inconsistant and injured, Brunson is a third string pg at best, Pippen isn't doing anyone any good. The only solid vets this season have been JYD (who isn't playing that great right now), Blount, and Gill to a degree. Dupree and Hinrich are both rookies! The team NEEDS a better supporting cast.

I say keep Curry, Crawford, Hinrich & Chandler. Try to keep JYD but deal him if you have to. Same thing with Dupree. See if you can deal any of the vets to a team making a playoff push. I doubt they would take them but it is worth a try. At least the team showed a flash last evening of HOW they can eventually come together. Now we just need to get them some help.
Well said Ace:yes:

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Bullwhip</b>!
I'm not questioning Okafor as a player. I just don't think we really need him and he might be of more value to us in a trade. When I look at NBADraf.net, they've got three HS kids in the top 4 with Okafor. I like NBADraft net if only to get an idea as to where a player is likely to get picked. If this team is going to suck the rest of the year, we really don't need Okafor and another HS kid is the last thing Pax and Skiles are gonna want. Maybe you make a trade with Pheonix. Trade our top-3 pick for Joe Johnson and their two picks (they got the Knicks pick this season). I'm not real sure. I'm sure that once the draft order is set and if we've got a top-3 pick, there are going to be plenty of GM's calling Pax to gague his interest in moving the pick. Also, do we have three second round picks again this year? Our own, Miami's and Toronto's? I suppose if we keep piling up these second round picks eventually they'll get one right!

·
Registered
63 Posts
yea im with you just like those of you that said trade the pick if we got james or mello last year look how bad they turned out.. i mean not imidate impact at all. kirk neither. picks suck trade them all.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
The way I see the draft is if we get the #1 pick you take Okafor and keep him. This kid is a stud that you do not pass up. Figure out which big man to move and move him for perimeter help(a stud SF). I assume Deng will not be in draft, if he is and you get the #2 you pick him and keep him. Basically if we get the #3 pick or lower you trade it.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lizzy</b>!

I don't know. I'm still wasted.
The Super Bowl was 2 days ago. Musta been some afterparty. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts