Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Derek Fisher, Devean George, Slava Medvedenko and Jamal Sampson for Theo Ratliff and Stephen Jackson (Atlanta):

I’ve been trying to promote Ratliff to LA for a couple of seasons but I need to credit this specific one to Lakerboard posters Sky and II_Cleva._ The struggles of Derek Fisher this season are well documented._ Derek has a lot of good will within the organization and is look upon as a leader in the club house._ Still, his game hasn’t been up to par._ Devean has shown great flashes but without the open shots he gets when surrounded by All-Stars, his offense is very inconsistent._ His athleticism and defense would be missed._ Slava can hit that open shot, but as this stretch has proved, he has a limited upside._ His defense and decision making are questionable._ Sampson is included to make the salaries match.

Theo is one of the top shot blockers in the league, can defend and is way overpaid._ He has one year left after this season at almost $11 mil._ Stephen Jackson is getting paid pennies after rejecting a much higher contract by the Spurs._ He makes under a mil and would love to make San Antonio pay._

Atlanta is in rebuilding mode and may be interested in a young player like Devean while dumping Ratliff’s big salary._ Derek Fisher can opt out of his contract after this season and even if he doesn’t, he’s relatively cheap at $3 mil._ Slava and Sampson are in the last years of their deals.

The Laker payroll would go up by about $4 mil next season, but they could always trade Ratliff if he doesn’t work out._ An $11 mil expiring contract would be excellent trade bait.

If it were up to me, I’d make this deal today.

Derek Fisher, Slava Medvedenko and Bryon Russell for Scot Pollard and Jamaal Tinsley

This may need to include Sampson, but depending on your source should work under the CBA._ This is a bit more controversial._ The Lakers are familiar with Pollard’s game from his day’s in Sacramento._ Concern’s regarding his back injury and long contract probably kill this deal, but he’s a defensive minded power forward which clearly the Lakers lack._ Tinsley is a young point guard who until just recently has been languishing on the Indiana bench._ LA could have Indiana agree to waive Russell so he could quickly return to the Lakers.

Other random ideas (with help from Sky) – some are good – others are not:

Fisher/George/Slava to

Houston for Kelvin Cato/Eric Piatkowski/Mike Wilks.

Memphis for Stromile Swift/Earl Watson/Jake Tsakalidis

Other players in trade without figuring out the numbers:

Lorenzen Wright (Memphis)

Bo Outlaw (Memphis)

Othella Harrington/Mike Doleac/Frank Williams (NY)

Etan Thomas/Christian Laettner (WAS) – believe me I don’t want L8ner

Nazr Mohammed (Atlanta)

Jerome Williams (Chicago) – contract waaaaaay too long though.

Elden Campbell (Detroit)

Sign Dennis Rodman or Anthony Mason outright (blech)

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_6734.shtml
_

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Derek Fisher, Devean George, Slava Medvedenko and Jamal Sampson for Theo Ratliff and Stephen Jackson (Atlanta)
We would have to sign a backup PG, and we would be pretty thin in the frontcourt. Phil would destroy Stephen Jackson. He is a SF version of Slava: Talented, but makes too many mental errors, no defense.
Derek Fisher, Slava Medvedenko and Bryon Russell for Scot Pollard and Jamaal Tinsley
I don't like this deal. Tinsley is not all that great, and I can't stand Pollard. Why would Indy do this?

Fisher/George/Slava to
Houston for Kelvin Cato/Eric Piatkowski/Mike Wilks.
This I might do. But, would Houston accept it?

Memphis for Stromile Swift/Earl Watson/Jake Tsakalidis
Memphis wouldn't do it.

Lorenzen Wright (Memphis)
Bo Outlaw (Memphis)
Othella Harrington/Mike Doleac/Frank Williams (NY)
Etan Thomas/Christian Laettner (WAS)
Nazr Mohammed (Atlanta)
Jerome Williams (Chicago)
Elden Campbell (Detroit)
None of these guys really interest me.

·
Registered
800 Posts
:D :D :D

I think you are slightly overrating LA players! Out of the great four LA doesnt have any other player with trade value! You have to give something to get something back!

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Ya i agree, LA has never had any trade value, other than their superstars, theyve never been able to make any trades... Even Malone and Payton have no value...

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I dont think we should trade Fish or Devean, they already know the triangle, and bringing in somebody else will just interrupt that. I dont think any of the players you mentioned know how to play in the triangle.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Sounds like the trade fetish posters are bored...

Really any trade right now would set the Lakers back. Contenders don't make midseason trades. Last team to win a title when making a mid season trade? 95 Rockets.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
George, Fisher and Slava are all major contributors to this team. We don't want to trade them for crap like Cato, Piatkowski and Wilks. That is just a horrible, horrible trade. The rest of those trades aren't very good either. The Lakers wouldn't accept any of them.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
There's really no Laker deal that would be great at this point in time. None of their role players have much (if any, depending on the player) trade value, and they already know their roles and the system in LA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts