Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ESPN reports

Raptors are looking for a guy who can play somewhere in between the SG and SF position, both as a supporting member of the team and backup for Vince Carter. The coach also stated that he would rather pick the less talented but more motivated player of the more talented but less motivated player. I was thinking that Mason might not fit in the 20 pick, but who knows with that statement.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Originally posted by STING
ESPN reports

Raptors are looking for a guy who can play somewhere in between the SG and SF position, both as a supporting member of the team and backup for Vince Carter. The coach also stated that he would rather pick the less talented but more motivated player of the more talented but less motivated player. I was thinking that Mason might not fit in the 20 pick, but who knows with that statement.
If the raptors indeed do keep their draft pick watch out for Chris Jeffries. He is just what the team needs. A rough hard working SF who plays really good defense. I think he would fit in more than Mason.

·
Moderator/Head Decepticon
7,624 Posts
Re: Re: Some truly kick--- info on the draft

Originally posted by sime

If the raptors indeed do keep their draft pick watch out for Chris Jeffries. He is just what the team needs. A rough hard working SF who plays really good defense. I think he would fit in more than Mason.
Isn't that a little high for Jeffries? They can get someone better at 20, but I guess it's not always about who's the best, but what your team needs most, and that's defense in Toronto's case.:D

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Some truly kick--- info on the draft

Originally posted by devestata

Isn't that a little high for Jeffries? They can get someone better at 20, but I guess it's not always about who's the best, but what your team needs most, and that's defense in Toronto's case.:D
I dunno we'll have to see. In my mind I am thinking Toronto will trade the pick to possibly Milwaukee for 2 second rounders. So Toronto's 20 for Milwaukee's 34, and either 48 or 42. With those picks they can get some decent talent. And it will not be a guaranteed contract under the cap.

They have a choice possibly if Jeffries does fall into the 2nd to take him, Tito Maddox who is an intriguing player, Smush Parker to fill their Pg needs, and/or Mason.

·
7,624 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Some truly kick--- info on the draft

I dunno we'll have to see. In my mind I am thinking Toronto will trade the pick to possibly Milwaukee for 2 second rounders. So Toronto's 20 for Milwaukee's 34, and either 48 or 42. With those picks they can get some decent talent. And it will not be a guaranteed contract under the cap.

They have a choice possibly if Jeffries does fall into the 2nd to take him, Tito Maddox who is an intriguing player, Smush Parker to fill their Pg needs, and/or Mason.

I'd say keep the pick and draft Jiri Welsch or Medlan Sekularak, two rising Euro players. Welsch is a Point Forward, and Sekularak has been compared to Peja and Hedo. I'd try and get on of those, if not Nachbar may slip to 20 also.:yes:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some truly kick--- info on the draft

I'd say keep the pick and draft Jiri Welsch or Medlan Sekularak, two rising Euro players. Welsch is a Point Forward, and Sekularak has been compared to Peja and Hedo. I'd try and get on of those, if not Nachbar may slip to 20 also.:yes:
Welsch won't slip to 20, neither will Nachbar. He will be top 15 pick in my opinion. I know the Hornets won't let Welsch pass by because they need some depth at both guard positions and Jiri will be able to fill those positions with ease. Great defender as well.

As for Sekularac, he is a bit of the unknown. His stock has risen in the past week drastically from going late in the 2nd round, to now late in the first round. I don't see the Raptors choosing him because he lacks in defense and I don't think has enough talent to make an impact on the Raptors.

·
7,624 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some truly kick--- info on the draft

Welsch won't slip to 20, neither will Nachbar. He will be top 15 pick in my opinion. I know the Hornets won't let Welsch pass by because they need some depth at both guard positions and Jiri will be able to fill those positions with ease. Great defender as well.

As for Sekularac, he is a bit of the unknown. His stock has risen in the past week drastically from going late in the 2nd round, to now late in the first round. I don't see the Raptors choosing him because he lacks in defense and I don't think has enough talent to make an impact on the Raptors.
Pretty good points. Dan Dickau was/is an option, but it looks like the Jazz may take Dan Dickau at pick 19. If they wanted to take Ely or Haislip and develop them, or maybe they can afford to take Tito Maddox this high. The Raptors are truly a mystery...:laugh:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some truly kick--- info on the draft

Pretty good points. Dan Dickau was/is an option, but it looks like the Jazz may take Dan Dickau at pick 19. If they wanted to take Ely or Haislip and develop them, or maybe they can afford to take Tito Maddox this high. The Raptors are truly a mystery...:laugh:
that is so true. You never know what GG can pull off. I can expect the raptors to make some moves. Also there is a rumour floating about with Mamadou being dealt to Denver for their 33rd pick this year...so Raps may have a possible 3 2nd round draft picks....

That is good for them. They get a chance to develop them...Maybe they could be ready for next year. While they could bring in Bradley to share some minutes and give Yogi a couple here and there as well.... :yes:

·
7,624 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Some truly kick--- info on the draft

that is so true. You never know what GG can pull off. I can expect the raptors to make some moves. Also there is a rumour floating about with Mamadou being dealt to Denver for their 33rd pick this year...so Raps may have a possible 3 2nd round draft picks....

That is good for them. They get a chance to develop them...Maybe they could be ready for next year. While they could bring in Bradley to share some minutes and give Yogi a couple here and there as well.... :yes:
If they draft eithe Haislip or Ely, they need to trade 2 of these 3: Yogi, Bradley, and JYD. Maybe even AD will be on the block?:laugh: You can get picks or maybe even players if they packaged Yogi and Bradley.:yes:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I dont think they would move bradley. he has a future with the team. last year he didnt get time because Lenny had an 8 man rotation and couldn't put him in because there was just not enough room. If some players leave like Chris Childs, and Dell Curry it will give Michael Bradley some more playing time to develop.

If you think about it .....hes just as much of a bust as Kwame Brown. What did brown show? He still went no.1.

Bradley went 17th...hopefully he will show us what he is made of in summer camps, and training camps.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Chris Jeffries...

Whoever syas Chris Jeffries is not worth the 20th is crazy. He is probably on of the top 15 prospects in this draft. He has NBA caliber defense combined with an improving offensive game(17ppg). He can play the 2 and 3 and occasionally bring the ball up the court. He is the next Pippen and will be one of the best players out of this years draft...

·
A!
9,434 Posts
I agree. Jeffries is definately a very good prospect. However, the reason he has slipped is because of the knee injury and his inability to workout for teams.....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welsh and Nachbar will probably be gone by the time the raps get their pick, maybe grizzard?

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Mason

I don't know why people are saying that Roger Mason Jr. won't be a good fit for the Raptors. He can play the SG and SF and is a very versatile player. He can shoot the three, drive the lane and he was one of the tops in the ACC in free throw shooting last year. In my opinion...the Raptors should definitely draft Mason Jr.:D

·
A!
9,434 Posts
I don't think Mason can play SF. He is only 6'5" 201 lbs. Maybe he could play it in a pinch, but he will probably be mostly a one position guy at SG....

·
Registered
924 Posts
Mr. X???

Roger Mason Jr. is projected top of the 2nd round. Why would they waste thier pikc on hi at 20???Anyays Mason is 6-4 and is a SG/PG.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Sime

Mladen Sekularac wont be avaible at 20. He is NBA ready. Has an NBA body great jumper. Will be available to play this year. Is being compared to Peja Stojakovic. He will go higher than 20.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Re: Sime

Originally posted by IMX
Mladen Sekularac wont be avaible at 20. He is NBA ready. Has an NBA body great jumper. Will be available to play this year. Is being compared to Peja Stojakovic. He will go higher than 20.
I really doubt it. So what if he is compared to Peja. Peja is Peja. He is his own person. Sekularac hasn't proved anything. Have you seen him play?

He will go late in the first round. If anything the Raps will take him at 20. Nobody will waste a pick on him before 20.
You have your opinion I have mine..I will stick to it.

So you are saying basically he will go ahead of Stoudemire, Williams, Welsch, Haislip, Boozer, Dickau, Grizzard, Ely, Logan etc....cuz those are the respectable draft predictions 15-20. So your saying that he will go before them...when he hasnt proven anything....not done workout for ANY team...

Late first round....early second...mark my words

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Re: Sime

Originally posted by IMX
He is NBA ready
so are the 40+ people entered in the draft! In their own minds they feel they can compete at the NBA level....So just because they say hes NBA ready that automatically makes him a top 19 pick as you say?

·
7,624 Posts
I still say draft Dickau or Haislip.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts