1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
New career high for Yao! Time to celebrate!!! :djparty: :jump:

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Go Yao, good to see the big guy explode like this! This is what he needs to do every night, come out with this aggresiveness and will to score. He has the abilities to average a lot of points, he could be a dominant player in this league...

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Am I seeing things or does Mark Jackson have 10 assists in 12 minutes???
No, that´s correct!!! That is just insane...

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow it was great to see Mark Jackson playing so well, some of his behind the back and no-look passes were pretty phenomenal, nice to see the Rockets didn't get Ward and took MJ instead.

As for the game, the Rockets pulled away in the 4th quarter so Yao only played 4 minutes but has a new career high at 37 points. I think the West could soon have a big 6 (if Stevie starts playing more consistent now). Also... Eric Piatkowski has been booted from the rotation to make way for Boki Nachbar. Has been playing great defense but now needs to hit those open jumpers.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I started a thread on this a little while back, how players or teams keep getting career highs againt orlando. LOL heres another one, congrats yao...

Orlando :|

·
Tru Warier
13,699 Posts
If this is going to become a permanent trend with the team, I can not be happier. Keep putting up those big numbers Yao! :D

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Confidence and Mark Jackson = Yao Ming Superstar

Actually Jackson had 10 assists after about 20 minutes, either way he put on a point-guard clinic today... getting Yao and MoTay easy shots.

Yao was in a real groove tonight, was confident and had a spring in his step... he never looked timid and when he got the ball, you could feel how confident he was with it. Declercq or Pachullia had their hands full all night... there was this great move that Yao did that got me going in the first half...

Yao gets the ball in the post, turns right, feels contact, spins left (as Andrew Declercq falls down) and jams it with one hand... it was monsterous. It'll be on Sportscenter tonight for sure.

Final stats 37pts, 10rebs 2 blks... 15-23FGs 7-7FTs... he was amazing tonight.

Sidenote: The Rockets have won 6 of their last 7 with Yao averaging 22.8pts, 11.3rebs, 2blks, during that stretch. He is also shooting 64.5% from the field (62-96), and 85.7% from the line (36-42) the last 7 games.

Stuart

·
Registered
505 Posts
Yao's last 7 games:

21 pts 11 reb 2 blk - win
21 pts 15 reb 4 blk - win
22 pts 15 reb 2 blk - win
13 pts 6 reb 2 blk - lost (against Grizzlies, only take 7 shots...)
29 pts 10 reb 1 blk - win
17 pts 12 reb 1 blk - win
37 pts 10 reb 2 blk - win

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Hey sabas11, Confidence PLUS Jeff Van Gundy PLUS Patrick Ewing PLUS weight-training program and Mark Jackson = Yao Ming Superstar.

Forget Lebron and Carmelo. Yao Ming is THE story of the NBA right now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think tonight's game proves that for optimal results, Steve Francis has to be traded or that he has to move to the off-guard spot. I mean, Houston has been doing just fine with Francis running the offense, but Yao is the man in Houston, and the Rockets need more of a pure point guard like Steve Nash, Eric Snow, etc. feeding him down in the low post. I love the unique talent of Steve Francis as much as the next person, but he needs a distributor in the backcourt with him a la Iverson. I think the Rockets are at their best when Francis is at shooting guard and Mark Jackson is at the point. In the offseason, I think an ideal signing for the Rockets would be Brent Barry.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Knicks Junkie</b>!
I think tonight's game proves that for optimal results, Steve Francis has to be traded or that he has to move to the off-guard spot. I mean, Houston has been doing just fine with Francis running the offense, but Yao is the man in Houston, and the Rockets need more of a pure point guard like Steve Nash, Eric Snow, etc. feeding him down in the low post. I love the unique talent of Steve Francis as much as the next person, but he needs a distributor in the backcourt with him a la Iverson. I think the Rockets are at their best when Francis is at shooting guard and Mark Jackson is at the point. In the offseason, I think an ideal signing for the Rockets would be Brent Barry.
You know, there's so much Knicks influence on the Rockets right now, Knicks fans might as well root for them.

I agree with everything you said. Francis is an elite guard, but he's at best a combo guard in terms of his point skills. At this stage of his career, I don't know if he can improve his point abilities. In any case, it's not fair to him or the team to expect him to run the point full-time.

It's too bad Mark Jackson isn't 6 years younger so he could play 35 MPG. Barring injury, he could realistically turn out to be one of the top player acquisitions of the season.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I feel so much safer when the ball is in MJ's hands... whereas with Francis you know there's a high chance it could be going back the other way. Otherwise Francis is a great PG when he doesn't try to do too much with the ball. He won't log big minutes at SG because MJ is old, very slow and not big enough to guard quicker, stronger PG's.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Franchise</b>!
I feel so much safer when the ball is in MJ's hands... whereas with Francis you know there's a high chance it could be going back the other way. Otherwise Francis is a great PG when he doesn't try to do too much with the ball. He won't log big minutes at SG because MJ is old, very slow and not big enough to guard quicker, stronger PG's.
I don't think strength will be a problem. Jackson has always been a strong point guard with a post game.

'Situational' would probably be a good way to describe Jackson's likely role, but I suspect Van Gundy will prefer to use him more rather than less, and will occasionally take his chances on a mismatch. Jackson may give up some things, but what he adds may be too hard for a discipline-oriented coach to pass up when execution is a must.

Also, it's not like Jackson honed his game as an uber-athlete. He was never a quick guard, and has always had to find ways to be a productive NBA PG despite not being quick or fast. At this stage of his career, he probably has a nice handful of veteran tricks to combat his athletic disadvantages.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
As much as i hate Andre miller, i like the houston team but would rockets fans or denver fans agree to a trade something like

Carmelo and Dre
Francis and Mobley, (optional pick)

Seems like Yao thrives with a half court passing point guard, and as good as Jason kidd or Nash are they really like to push the ball up every rebound.

I really dislike Dre but would be be a good fit (as jackon is getting old).

would denver fans do the trade?

Only thing is, this year, we havent seen much "passing" from dre.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.