Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reinforcements?

The Nuggets' front office has admitted the team could use another big man, and the NBA trade deadline is Feb. 19. One would have helped in their past two games, considering those opposing field- goal percentages.

Asked if he felt the team needs another big body, Anthony replied, "We've been doing pretty good with the big men we've had so far, but I don't like to get into that."

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~90~1915241,00.html

Marcus Fizer's pretty big, if not tall.

I'd love to try and get Rodney White out of them. Despite the knock on White that Detroit gave up on him and then the Nuggets would be giving up on him, there are lots of productive players in this league that go through several teams before finding the right spot- Chauncy Billups, Antonio Daniels, Ron Mercer, Bonzi Wells, Jamal Mashburn, Jim Jackson, Jason Kidd... you get the picture. He's readily available, has got talent and we need talent... this is just the sort of guy Pax should be trying to get.

--------------------------

Since we only trade with the Raptors, it might be worth looking at what they have and need:

The Raptors might be willing to turn over Lammond Murray or Morris Peterson. Hell, they might give us Morris if we'd be willing to take Lammond's contract.

Gill, Fizer, and Jeffries would bring back Murray and Peterson. I know it's not a sexy trade, but it stabilizes our wing spots and gets rid of Jeffries.

The Raptors should go for it too, it'd still give them an adequate rotation at the 1/2/3 with AW, Palacio, Rose, Carter, Gill, Mason, and Jeffries and a little more beef up front.

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
I'd do Fizer for White in a minute... hell, a second. I'd resign White regardless because I think the kid has all the tools, just has never had someone believe in him.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Any reinforcements?

The Nuggets' front office has admitted the team could use another big man, and the NBA trade deadline is Feb. 19. One would have helped in their past two games, considering those opposing field- goal percentages.

Asked if he felt the team needs another big body, Anthony replied, "We've been doing pretty good with the big men we've had so far, but I don't like to get into that."

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1413,36~90~1915241,00.html

Marcus Fizer's pretty big, if not tall.

I'd love to try and get Rodney White out of them. Despite the knock on White that Detroit gave up on him and then the Nuggets would be giving up on him, there are lots of productive players in this league that go through several teams before finding the right spot- Chauncy Billups, Antonio Daniels, Ron Mercer, Bonzi Wells, Jamal Mashburn, Jim Jackson, Jason Kidd... you get the picture. He's readily available, has got talent and we need talent... this is just the sort of guy Pax should be trying to get.

--------------------------

Since we only trade with the Raptors, it might be worth looking at what they have and need:

The Raptors might be willing to turn over Lammond Murray or Morris Peterson. Hell, they might give us Morris if we'd be willing to take Lammond's contract.

Gill, Fizer, and Jeffries would bring back Murray and Peterson. I know it's not a sexy trade, but it stabilizes our wing spots and gets rid of Jeffries.

The Raptors should go for it too, it'd still give them an adequate rotation at the 1/2/3 with AW, Palacio, Rose, Carter, Gill, Mason, and Jeffries and a little more beef up front.
Morris has been flat awful this year. Terribly inconsistent. We're probably better without him. Now Rodney I would be into.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
I've been a Rodney White fan for the longest...

I still can't believe Layden turned down a White for Doleac deal shortly before his termination...

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Originally posted by <b>arenas809</b>!
I've been a Rodney White fan for the longest...

I still can't believe Layden turned down a White for Doleac deal shortly before his termination...
He did???

well,he's not in chair for poor decisions.

Mike,I posted this trade at dec so if u wanna check some replies from back then:

Fizer for White thread

I'd love this trade straight up,or through Raptors,does not matter.

I think the kid has all the tools, just has never had someone believe in him.
reminds me of something,closer to our team maybe...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
If we looking to trade Fizer, don't just trade him for scrubs. His value is that he has an expiring contract. Getting guys like Drew and Augmon from the Hornets doesn't help us. So if we trade Fizer, you should get back either an expiring contrct or a guy who can actually help us with Fizer going to a team looking for cap space/save money.

·
Banned
780 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Benny the Bull</b>!
If we looking to trade Fizer, don't just trade him for scrubs. His value is that he has an expiring contract. Getting guys like Drew and Augmon from the Hornets doesn't help us. So if we trade Fizer, you should get back either an expiring contrct or a guy who can actually help us with Fizer going to a team looking for cap space/save money.
very true but its not a huge expiring contract what like 3.7 or so..i would just let him go and we keep the cap it may come in handy ;)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to be clear, that's not what I was suggesting. The Clippers were reportedly willing to take Drew and Augmon for Jaric and Ely. I was saying I'd offer Fizer for Jaric and Ely.

The only value Augmon and Drew have is as expiring contracts themselves. Guys like Jaric and Ely, however, have real value as players and it'd be nice to get them.

·
Registered
892 Posts
...about Rodney White. We already know what Detroit and Denver think of him.

When Cleveland was shopping Miles, Denver supposedly offered White. The Cavs turned down the offer and took Jeff McInnis (expiring contract) and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje (cap filling boob) instead!

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/7789176.htm

Now, if Cleveland doesn't want him, and neither does Detroit or Denver, don't you think there might be a legitimate reason why? Just because all of a certain player's warts haven't been publicized doesn't mean they don't exist.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!

When Cleveland was shopping Miles, Denver supposedly offered White. The Cavs turned down the offer and took Jeff McInnis (expiring contract) and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje (cap filling boob) instead!

Now, if Cleveland doesn't want him, and neither does Detroit or Denver, don't you think there might be a legitimate reason why? Just because all of a certain player's warts haven't been publicized doesn't mean they don't exist.
Cleveland was specifically looking for a pg so they could move LeBron over to the wing. I don't the fact that Cleveland didn't do that deal means anything much.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by <b>C Blizzy</b>!

So what?

Is Chauncy Billups a crappy player? He's no superstar but we'd be damn lucky to have him- and look how many teams he went through: Boston, Toronto, Denver, Minnesota, and Detroit. He was on his third team in his second year of playing.

How about Antonio Daniels? He went quickly from Vancouver to the Spurs, and then on to Portland before coming to Seattle.

The falacy isn't in thinking these guys don't have warts. Of course they do. No one here is saying Rodney White is going to be the savior if he shows up here. But he might be an improvement over what we've got, and who knows, he might turn into something nice. We pretty much know at this point that Fizer isn't (at least not for us). Given that there is almost nothing to lose by a Fizer for White deal (were it offered), I don't see any reason not to.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen? He sucks, rides out the season on the pine, and then we don't invite him back next year. Exactly what's happening with Fizer.

Of course the guy has warts. But that doesn't mean he's useless and it doesn't mean he can't improve. Since it's a 0 cost transaction and we know that what we have now isn't helping, we ought to move it for something that at least potentially can help us.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

Just to be clear, that's not what I was suggesting. The Clippers were reportedly willing to take Drew and Augmon for Jaric and Ely. I was saying I'd offer Fizer for Jaric and Ely.

The only value Augmon and Drew have is as expiring contracts themselves. Guys like Jaric and Ely, however, have real value as players and it'd be nice to get them.
The point I was making was that in the end, it may just be better to keep Fizer and let his deal run out. For Jaric and Ely, they would give us more than Fizer is but they are 2 relatively inexperienced guys, and we really need proven veterans.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The point I was making was that in the end, it may just be better to keep Fizer and let his deal run out. For Jaric and Ely, they would give us more than Fizer is but they are 2 relatively inexperienced guys, and we really need proven veterans.
But even if Fizer walks at the end of the year we're still over the cap. Jaric and Ely wouldn't, for example, make enough to prevent us from using our MLE on a player this summer as far as I can see. So in truth, I don't see how this forcloses moves to get a vet.

Going into next year under this hypothetical trade, we'd have:

1- Kirk,
2- Jamal, Marko
3- ERob, Pip, Jeffries
4- Chandler, AD, JYD
5- Curry, Blount (Team Opton), Ely

FAs: Gill, Brunson, Dupree, JWill
* Our Draft Pick
* MLE

Also keep in mind that we have the expansion draft where we can only protect 8 players: They'd likely be Kirk, Jamal, Chandler, JYD, Curry, Jaric, Ely, and Blount with Pip, Jeffries, ERob, and AD being unprotected for salary reasons.

I'd imagine Jeffries will be bought out if he's not taken.

That leaves us with 11 guys returning, plus our draft pick (12) and our MLE player (13). Assuming Pip doesn't retire (a very open question it seems to me) we've got two slots left then to bring back 2 of Brunson, Gill, Dupree, and JWill. If Dupree continues as he has, I'd say he's a lock for one of those slots. The other one can go to JWill if he looks capable, or Gill otherwise. (Remember that we won't have second round picks because we owe them to Houston for the Bryce Drew deal).

I have no idea, at this point, what we want to do with the MLE and pick, but this setup seems to offer us plenty of flexibility to go in any way we so desire.

--------------------

Point taken that we could use a vet, but in the short-term we just need someone. With Gill out for at least a couple weeks we're looking at a higher dose of Brunson than I want to see :)

In any case, Jaric has started 41 games in two years Fizer has started 33 in 4. Jaric's played a couple years in Europe before that. That doesn't make him a vet, of course, but he's probably a bit further than the average second year player.

You're right, he's not a vet, but he's pretty close to it. Old enough to not be a raw recruit... young enough that he could fit for more than a year or two.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
If this deal - Fizer for Ely/Jaric is available the Bulls should do it immediately.

Being in Clipperland I have seen Jaric alot and would love to have him. My only real concern is that he might make Crawford expendable if he continues to develop. He would give us a real solid rotation at the 1/2 with Hinrich/Crawford/Jaric

I would rather see Ely playing back up Center mintues than Blount. Blount is better from a defensive positioning stand point, but Ely, when his head is in it, would be a huge improvement and could be our B/U center for many years to come and play real minutes.

Frankly, if you could get Ely you have a potentially great three headed monster with Curry, Chandler and Ely.

I just wish someone would make a SF available - Maybe we can turn some of our excess into White or Posey.

If we can't get Deng in the draft and the HS kid isn't the next Lebron, we are still woeful at our weakest position. Dupree is perfect for the off the bench guy.

Bottom line - Fizer for anything that contributes is better.

Please accept that Cap Room is not something we will have for the next 10 years........Give up the Kobe/TMAC/other Star dream

1 - 15 of 15 Posts