Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I watch the NBA this year, and having watched basiclaly evey team at this point, it still baffles me how we didnt sign more shooters this offseason Now before you guys start screaming Webster....i cant count him for this year cause he jsut isnt ready. He probaly will be a decent down the road but Im talking about THIS YEARS TEAM. I mean looking at some of the guys drafted like Salim Stoudamire or the euro SG on the Pacers, how did we miss these guys? When you think about our major weakness which is guard/perimeter/shooting its insane to know we took a PG when we had bassy already. I love Jack but i just dont see how even through a rebuilding situation, Dixon was the only guy brought here. In all honesty, we are without a doubt the worst shooting team in the NBA with the worst backcourt wether its starters or depth. Infact I wonder if our guards would play on most teams as backups.

Monia is not a close to a starter in this league and neither is webster. It is simply not fair to the rest of the Blazer players and their fans to have watch this joke of guard play wether its rebuilding or not. even when you rebuild you have decent professional players starting....we dont. I try and give nash the benefit of the doubt but simply cannot when i see this team play lately.

Im sure someone will probaly post a backcourts numbers that are worse then ours but to be honest i cant think of one backcourt in the NBA i'd pass on over ours right now.

Theres rebuilding.....and then theres this garbge the Blazers put on the floor.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Portland tried to sign Jasikevicius... I read at least one report that indicated he turned down more money from the Blazers to sign with the Pacers.

Ed O.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ed O said:
Portland tried to sign Jasikevicius... I read at least one report that indicated he turned down more money from the Blazers to sign with the Pacers.

Ed O.
I heard that he wanted a lot of money. And nobody offered him near that except Pacers.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
i'd take the potential of webster/telfair/jack over a lot of other teams' guards. obviously we have to look to the future right now and not harp on the present. that's been the plan all along.

if we want to win what we really need to do right now is give darius more minutes at the 2 and get him even more involved. that will open things up more for whoever is at the point, and should put more pressure on the other team not to double-team zach. seems like we've been successful the few times he's slid there this year.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You may be right about playing Miles at the two, but he is prone to turning the ball over if he has to dribble under pressure, hence Dixon.

It would be nice to see if Miles at the two and outlaw at the three would work. They could combine for some awsome D if they put their mind to it. If they create turnovers they would make for a spectacular duo on the break. They both play long and could bother some outside shooting I think.
Just a thought.

gatorpops

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
why would we want Jasikevicius? are we trying to win right now? and why would he want to play here? He wants to win not play with a young team. Salim is a small undersized SG i dont see why u complaine about Juan when he is much better then Salim and in my oppinion just as effective.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Patience Grasshoppa! The season is young, and so is the team! I think one of the young guys will grow into the role. Martell is at least starting to get some PT the last few games, but his problem so far has been what he hasn't been doing, not what he has been doing. As soon as he learns to do the little things Nate ask for (team defense, moving without the ball, and blocking out) he will be ok. His individual defense is ok, his shooting is solid. Its just when he does things like let a guy he is guarding get 2 offensive rebounds in a row, twice in a row, he will get yanked out of the lineup in no time. Monia is getting more comfortable as well, and getting more agressive offensively. Although he gets schooled every once in a while defensively, it is happening less often now.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
I wonder if we would ever trade Zach? Lately he seems to be lacking effort and doesn't seem to care about anything team realated except for himself.I would like to trade Zach but i just dont know who for.With our current guards of Juan he seems alright to me that being under sized if he makes shots and plays d thats all i care about.if u harp on juan why not harp on bassy too he's like Damon 2.0 cept he has talent and skill.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
This current team is not built with the intention of it making, or competing in the playoffs.....only to play our young players and give them playing time.

Your fixation with the SG position has me worried about you, mixum. Michael Jordan could be playing the SG for Portland and you'd find a way to complain.

Please look at the development of Monia and Webster and consider that they are both 12 game into long careers. The glass is half-full!!

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
My biggest concern is the PF position, not just the Backup, but the starter.

PG, we have 2 young PGs that look to be very solid NBA PG's in the making.
SG 2 Rookies one of which is starting, the other right out of HS but already known and guarded like a loong bomber.
SF...A whole glut of SF's take your pick.
C...Really in todays NBA a Journeyman position, I doubt Joel is leaving and Theo is adequite.

PF We have Zach, and while his numbers are nice I don't see him as a PF that will be the focuas of a good team...Beyond Zach we have_____Nothing.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
mixum said:
Monia is not a close to a starter in this league and neither is webster. It is simply not fair to the rest of the Blazer players and their fans to have watch this joke of guard play wether its rebuilding or not.
While this may very well be true. It requires patience like it or not. Yes I said the P word... Its unfortunate that we have no quality starting SG right now. But I remember vividly watching Clyde Drexler sit on the bench in his early years as a Blazer. Ramsey sat him. I am sure the stat gurus can remind me I am wrong here. But almost all great players do not start out playing 40 minutes a game and making an all-star impact. Even MJ. Webster or Monia are not projected to be Drexler or Jordans either.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
ThatBlazerGuy said:
I agree. I want LaMarcus Aldridge in the draft as our new PF.
lol, I don't know, the way the Sonics are playing, they might bypass the Blazers & get him in the draft. I have only seen one Blazer game, the ESPN one vs Detroit, but your team IMO is playing to win more games than the Sonics this year.

It wouldn't be the worst thing, we have NO TOUGHNESS or DEFENSE on the Sonics right now, & Fortson is injured.

·
Registered
568 Posts
myELFboy said:
It wouldn't be the worst thing, we have NO TOUGHNESS or DEFENSE on the Sonics right now.
That's because it signed with the Blazers this offseason.

But of course I don't need to tell you that.....sorry, I coudln't help but rub it in just a little bit

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry guys, i disagree strongly. Nobody on this team can even think about guarding the other teams top peremeter player like a Kobe. Look what Wade did at will in the 2nd half of the Heat game. Im not asking for an all star SG....just someone to keep us in games and make some shots when we need it so we avoid 7 minute periods of not scoring. I totally agree that webster could contribute but hes not ready this year and might not be ready next year. Monia is not an NBA starting guard IMO.

With that said, i also agree we need a PF, but Zach is fine as long as he is healthy. You guys want zach to be something hes not and thats a defender...hes a pure scorer and wether thats good or not im not sure, but he can hold the spot down and be a very solid starter IMO. How the hell did we all go from talking all star about zach to him not being the future with this team? Nash messed up not getting a solid backup PF....dont blame Zach, afterall the man had a huge surgury in the off season and has no backup everynight....thats alot to ask Tim Duncan no less Zach.

This is the reason i hate nash......there is no excuse in the world for him not signing or trading for a quality backup PF or SG. We are talking about 2 major HOLES not to mention one of them is a starter who just had micro fractrure surgury. Sorry but theres no excuse whatsoever. Rebuilding or not, you have to fill every position and Nash has left 2 major holes ona roster that people pay to see.....thats NBA-DL type Gm-ing not NBA quality.

:cry:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts