Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Jamal is going to learn to drive to the hoop. And when he does, that killer crossover, lights out J, and excellent athletic ability will net him 25 points a night.

He's incomplete right now, true. But look at all he's got, and while I won't say he's a lock, I've got to ask how anyone could feel it's waste to give him a full season to see if it happens.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
And if only Jason Kidd could shoot. It would be nice, but to have the complete package is rare in any player.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
good post gettinsum

how do we know that jamal didnt drive to the rack in SUMMER LEAGUE to prevent any further injuries? why would he risk his body like that in SUMMER LEAGUE? maybe he is saving his next injury(cross fingers) for the regular season

i wouldnt be suprised at all if jamal starts driving to the rack when the regular season comes rolling, when it would be worth the risk to attack the basket

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by gettinbranded
I think Jamal is going to learn to drive to the hoop. And when he does, that killer crossover, lights out J, and excellent athletic ability will net him 25 points a night.

He's incomplete right now, true. But look at all he's got, and while I won't say he's a lock, I've got to ask how anyone could feel it's waste to give him a full season to see if it happens.
For the record, I'm not giving up on Jamal.

But its rare (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that a jumpshooter EVER turns into a great slasher. Slashing is something that happens early on the in the 'development' of a baller. I guess there may be some exceptions, but I can't think of any.

Though, there have been plenty of slashers that turned into effective jumpshooters (MJ, Kobe, STack, even Vince to some degree)

I don't know if Crawford can ever be a great finisher, but he doesn't need to be. As long as he can dish to big boys, he'll be fine. But this season will be a nice litmus to see if this can take place.

VD

·
Registered
593 Posts
JC drove to the basket on plenty of occasions when the defense gave him a path. He simply didn't finish over anyone with a ear rupturing dunk. He did the silent but deadly floater J... swish... It's nearly as effective, only it doesn't draw contact and send him to the line. Another asset JC brings is his ability to pass the rock. I'm hoping his interior ball passing gets better because if he can start wrapping those long arms of his around defenders coming over to help, he'll find Curry and Chandler waiting patiently under the basket every time.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by BCH
And if only Jason Kidd could shoot. It would be nice, but to have the complete package is rare in any player.
Where did I say he was a complete player?

Where did I say he was a rebounder, shot blocker, team leader?

You're putting words in my mouth and you're baiting, just like the old days.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Excuse me, but....

Originally posted by BCH

What does this post have to do with what Gettinbranded has posted concerning what HE believes JC's potential is? He was not comparing his abilities or potential to any other player; he was just giving his opinion. Lets not stray from what the thread is originally planned to be about, it leads to arguments and we do not want them here, right? thanks.:grinning:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I think you and Gettinbranded AND MYSELF..

Originally posted by settinUpShop
JC drove to the basket on plenty of occasions when the defense gave him a path. He simply didn't finish over anyone with a ear rupturing dunk. He did the silent but deadly floater J... swish... It's nearly as effective, only it doesn't draw contact and send him to the line. Another asset JC brings is his ability to pass the rock. I'm hoping his interior ball passing gets better because if he can start wrapping those long arms of his around defenders coming over to help, he'll find Curry and Chandler waiting patiently under the basket every time.
.....are on the same sheet of music when it comes to JC. I love his athleticism and at this point, all we have is time to wait and see, IF he has a whole season to prove himself, what his true worth will be. Remember he IS young, younger than JWill and remains to be seen, in my opinion what all this kid can do on the court. This should be an exciting season with JC, JayW, Jalen, Tyke and BABY SHAQ!!! LETS GO BULLS~~~:yes:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Re: Re: Somewhere, somehow...

Originally posted by Vin Diesel

For the record, I'm not giving up on Jamal.

But its rare (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that a jumpshooter EVER turns into a great slasher. Slashing is something that happens early on the in the 'development' of a baller. I guess there may be some exceptions, but I can't think of any.

Though, there have been plenty of slashers that turned into effective jumpshooters (MJ, Kobe, STack, even Vince to some degree)

I don't know if Crawford can ever be a great finisher, but he doesn't need to be. As long as he can dish to big boys, he'll be fine. But this season will be a nice litmus to see if this can take place.

VD
.....hey VIN BUDDY...hehehehe...did not want to leave you out of my comments but your next to last line bothers me somewhat. He would not HAVE to be a great finisher, however, being one, would put more pressure on the defenders attempting to keep the passes away from tyke and curry and allow JC to DRIVE the lane on occasion, huh? Also, IF in fact, the "floater" is AS SUCCESSFUL a shot as the dunk, JC would not have to dunk it....the dunk is just a momentum building more than the floater, (eeck sounds disgusting!) you agree?:yes:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Somewhere, somehow...

Originally posted by BamaBull

.....hey VIN BUDDY...hehehehe...did not want to leave you out of my comments but your next to last line bothers me somewhat. He would not HAVE to be a great finisher, however, being one, would put more pressure on the defenders attempting to keep the passes away from tyke and curry and allow JC to DRIVE the lane on occasion, huh? Also, IF in fact, the "floater" is AS SUCCESSFUL a shot as the dunk, JC would not have to dunk it....the dunk is just a momentum building more than the floater, (eeck sounds disgusting!) you agree?:yes:
Sup BamaBull,

When I talk about finishing, I guess I'm talking more about layups and dunks. Nothing against the 'floater', but I can't remember a modern NBA player that successfully used that move, and in clutch situations. Maybe that's Jamal's pet move in the paint, and in that case, its not all that bad if he can make most of them.

I was however referring to a more traditional view of 'finishing'. And for a guy who is 6'6" I don't know if the 'floater' will cut it. At this point he is a bit skinny and may lack to heart to take a pounding in the paint.

So the point I was making was that JC may not have to be a great 'finisher', just get past his man (which he has already reasonably shown)... and distribute the ball first or score second.

VD

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Re: Excuse me, but....

Originally posted by BamaBull

What does this post have to do with what Gettinbranded has posted concerning what HE believes JC's potential is? He was not comparing his abilities or potential to any other player; he was just giving his opinion. Lets not stray from what the thread is originally planned to be about, it leads to arguments and we do not want them here, right? thanks.:grinning:
Bama,

You are welcome to PM me and explain to me how this is off topic.

gettinbranded made a post about Crawford's lack of ability to drive. He went on to state what he thought Crawford is incomplete. I implied Jason Kidd is a comparable player becasue he lacks a jumpshot, and is incomplete as well. I went on to state that it is rare to find the complete package in a player, meaning that I doubt JC will "learn" to drive but it would be nice if he did.

I am sorry if you were not able to read into it like that, in the future please PM me if you do not understand what I am trying to say.

BCH

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Crawford HAD the ability. His college days were filled with a lot of slashing, penetration kick type player. I don't know if anyone ever deemed him a heavy duty dunker, but he could slash to the lane. It's not a lost ability, it's just one that he's not been able to pull off against NBA players yet. Who can blame him. If I looked like JC, I'd be scared to take it in on Jerome James or Jahidi White... don't even think about David Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, Shaquille O'Neal...

He's suffered two tough injuries and he's skinny as a stick. Mentally, I'd say he would have to be Iverson to want a beating like that.

All the penetrating, slashing, finishing guards I know of are pretty strong, or short and fast enough to not get beat on. There's the Darrell Armstrong/Travis Best/Avery Johnson/Steve Nash type of penetrator that can basically sneak into the lane. Then there's Baron Davis/Paul Pierce/Bonzi Wells type that MUSCLES his way into the lane. The Michael Jordan/Kobe Bryant/Tracy McGrady type of lanky penetration and versatility (Jordan could fade, dunk, or pull up; Kobe can basically do the same thing; T-Mac is more of a height and handles type of guy that makes it so that he can put up a shot in traffic) is probably more what Crawford's type of player is, and honestly, that's a tough billing to live up to.

He's going to have to get a LOT stronger, be able to take a lot of damage, and have enough moves on the drive to psyche out opponents. I just don't know if I see that, but the one thing he's already got is the quickness. Players all around the league will testify to that, from Jordan to Terry to many others.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
In the one game of the RMRI watched JC did penetrate a few times. He finished once with a pretty floater, the other times he kicked for the most part. I'm not sure what the knock is on JC not finishing at the rim, I think because his shot of preference at this point is the floater instead of the monstrous slam people assume he can't finish.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Re: Excuse me, but....

Originally posted by BCH

Bama,

You are welcome to PM me and explain to me how this is off topic.

gettinbranded made a post about Crawford's lack of ability to drive. He went on to state what he thought Crawford is incomplete. I implied Jason Kidd is a comparable player becasue he lacks a jumpshot, and is incomplete as well. I went on to state that it is rare to find the complete package in a player, meaning that I doubt JC will "learn" to drive but it would be nice if he did.

I am sorry if you were not able to read into it like that, in the future please PM me if you do not understand what I am trying to say.

BCH
Starting a post off with "And if only..." makes it sound as though what I was wishing for were a dream and a fairy tale---which would be rather insulting to any serious Bulls fans intellect.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Showtyme
Crawford HAD the ability. His college days were filled with a lot of slashing, penetration kick type player. I don't know if anyone ever deemed him a heavy duty dunker, but he could slash to the lane. It's not a lost ability, it's just one that he's not been able to pull off against NBA players yet. Who can blame him. If I looked like JC, I'd be scared to take it in on Jerome James or Jahidi White... don't even think about David Robinson, Dikembe Mutombo, Shaquille O'Neal...

He's suffered two tough injuries and he's skinny as a stick. Mentally, I'd say he would have to be Iverson to want a beating like that.
If he's going to be a scorer, then yes, I'd agree that he had to develop some Kobe and young MJ type resistance to taking a beating. But all he needs it for now is to keep defenders respectful. If they know he can get past them and into the heart of the defense and be a threat to pass OR score down there, he'll get the J a lot more often.

I'd bet he's doing it in practice...it's just taking a while for it to come out in the real games.

Once he gets it going, I bet it doesn't stop either...

Ok---enough irrational exuberance. I need to be concentrating on the Bears. Camp doesn't start for the bullies for another 2 months.

·
Premium Member
6,118 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Excuse me, but....

Originally posted by gettinbranded

Starting a post off with "And if only..." makes it sound as though what I was wishing for were a dream and a fairy tale---which would be rather insulting to any serious Bulls fans intellect.
I happen to believe it is a dream and a fairy tale, and I expressed it in a way to show that he does not need to drive to be a player in the NBA. Jason Kidd is not a complete player yet he does just fine. There are numerous other people that hold the same opion as I do that Crawford has never shown the aggressiveness or the ability to be effective at driving and dishing in the lane. Jason Williams on the other hand has shown a willingness to do this in RMR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts