Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who would you guys pick ? Rondo? Brown?

Personally I'v watched Dee brown play everygame this season because im from Ill. I dont know i mean rondo would be a very good pointguard for us because hes athletic and lebron WANTS to run , so if we got an athletic guy at the 1, well theres one more reson lebron should resign. im sure he will anyway but you get what im saying. So now if we can get a PG like rondo or dee that opens up the fast break alot more then having snow... or even damon.

Most of the time cavs get a rebound we almost NEVER push it, only when lebron wants to, Well IMO we need one more person who WANTS to push the ball everytime down the court, i mean i know tahts not the system mike brown wants us to run, but runing translates into points. Rondo is also a good defensive presence , or so I hear. Havent seen him PLAY but i'v done my reaserch on him, then again stats are desciving.

Just wondering what you guys think

( btw im new to these forums i hope i can contribute by posting here daily =) GO CAVS!)

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
Rondo by far: we need someone who can guard straight up other PG's which we don't have right now.

Dont really need the offensive minded, playmaking PG at this point in time

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
We need a defensive demon period. We need a guy who is an athletic freak and won't let every quick PG in the league burn us to the ground.

I'm on the Rajon bandwagon. Some sites have him at 19 (updated today), others still say he could fall to 30.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
does anyone know any good sites that break down this year's crop of international players? You know Danny is going to be looking all over the world for the best player available. Would like to know what he's looking at. Is there a Beno Udrih out there for the taking?

We've got a high second round pick again.

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
futuristxen said:
does anyone know any good sites that break down this year's crop of international players? You know Danny is going to be looking all over the world for the best player available. Would like to know what he's looking at. Is there a Beno Udrih out there for the taking?

We've got a high second round pick again.
Just go to draftexpress.com they cover everybody and they appear to be reasonable in there predictions

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
^ The report looks good. But it's a little different than Rondo in the fact that Rondo is an athletic freak, while this guy has "good" athleticism but not great ability. Also if Dragic is truly 6'4, he's a good deal taller and would be one of the bigger PG's in the league.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
backup center is another position ( nazr ) But PG is a priority, but if Rondo is available when we're picking then I doubt danny ferry would double guess his decision. Someone just told me we dont have a first round pick this year? i was positive we did.

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
I hope more of the smoke clears when it comes to the PF situation on the team. If things seem murky, even as the draft nears, there are a few decent prospects in the second round in terms of big men. Guys who might need some time to get stronger and play in the NBDL like Martynas, but who could also wind up panning out if given attention. Hard call to make. If the PF situation settles without much hassle, Cleveland wouldn't have to draft a PF (PF covered but C position still a need).

2,289 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
Rondo by far: we need someone who can guard straight up other PG's which we don't have right now.

Dont really need the offensive minded, playmaking PG at this point in time
But with Rondo I think we just have a younger more athletic Eric Snow. The kid cant shoot jumpers, which leads us right back to the problem we have with Snow on the floor.

·
Premium Member
18,791 Posts
LBJ to LJ for 3 said:
But with Rondo I think we just have a younger more athletic Eric Snow. The kid cant shoot jumpers, which leads us right back to the problem we have with Snow on the floor.
The problem with Snow is not only his jumper but he is just slow and can't finish in the lane anymore. But the bigger issue in term of team weakness is we have no one who can guard a quick PG: huge hole right now.

A version of Snow who can defend the quick PG and be quick in transition (i.e. get on the break and finish) is good enough. We have Jones for 4 more years already to provide shooting

2,289 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
The problem with Snow is not only his jumper but he is just slow and can't finish in the lane anymore. But the bigger issue in term of team weakness is we have no one who can guard a quick PG: huge hole right now.

A version of Snow who can defend the quick PG and be quick in transition (i.e. get on the break and finish) is good enough. We have Jones for 4 more years already to provide shooting
Agreed... I guess we cant get the best of both worlds with someone like Chris Paul. It would be nice to see what our offense looks like with a PG that pushs it with his head up and his eyes on the court, instead of backing the defender down the length of the floor. Maybe we can see glimpse's of it with Flip as PG and Hughes/Lebron streaking down the court.

** Also updated category on my sig ** lol

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Don't you think Sasha can fill that role? He's still young and needs a bit of time to develop, he's got the athleticism to become a good defender and as far I'm concerned, he's the most reliable outside shooter on the team after Damon Jones. I really don't want to give up on him...unless we manage somehow to get a PG who plays excellent defense and can be a threat from deep.

Graham is also a cheap option off the bench, he's big and strong, and could do IMO a nice job coming off the bench for Bron for 5-10 Minutes a game. Maybe I'm the minority here, but I think it's crazy to give up guys just because they haven't played much (Sasha, Henderson) or gone undrafted (Graham).

Why look for a backup when we have more important needs?: a PG and eventually a enforcer a la Dampier/Fortson to backup Z adequatly! In my opinion, these are the only true needs we have right now. Flip/Larry/Sasha is good to go, Lebron/Newble/Graham is alright, Gooden/AV/Marshall is alright (IF Brown decides to give AV more of Marshall's minutes, thus limiting him to around 15 a game).

Damon Jones has been excellent lately, and has even played decent D. But Snow isn't a starting caliber PG anymore, we need a quicker guard who can shoot it from deep. Too bad D Jones is still prone to being abused by stronger PGs at times...

AV/Gooden can somewhat provide enough inside presence when playing together, and when Z is out, but I would trade Donyell for someone like Danny Forston/Eric Dampier in a second. That way, AV/Gooden could pair up more often when the matchups are favorable, and get back to stricly splitting PF minutes when Z/Backup are in.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,231 Posts
yOU ALways want to get better. So even though we're happy with a lot of aspects of the team, the team does need help off the bench. I like Sasha, but he's not good enough IMO to take a chance on a wing player in the second round. The best thing would be to draft some euros in the second round that can stay over there and develop without being on the Cavs payroll.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
LBJ to LJ for 3 said:
Eric Snow is garbage along with his contract. Rondo is considered the top PG in this class, which is saying alot depending on who declares.

Rondo is a major upgrade over Snow in my opinion.

Rondo set the Kentucky record for steals in a season as a freshman. He is quick as well as fast and can definitely lead a fast break, something Snow can not do.

2,289 Posts
TucsonClip said:
Eric Snow is garbage along with his contract. Rondo is considered the top PG in this class, which is saying alot depending on who declares.

Rondo is a major upgrade over Snow in my opinion.

Rondo set the Kentucky record for steals in a season as a freshman. He is quick as well as fast and can definitely lead a fast break, something Snow can not do.
No kidding Rondo is an upgrade at PG than Snow, DJ is an upgrade compared to Snow and DJ isnt even a good point guard. I was just saying we need a PG that can do more than just play defense. We need a PG who can attack the basket and atleast be respected as a scorer. And as of right now i could see teams doin the samething they do too Eric as they will do to Rondo let him shoot 17 footers.

Obviously Rondo is an upgrade, anyone with fresher legs than Esnow is an upgrade. The way Lebron is playing and with Hughes back we could get away with a athletic defensive point guard. But we all know as fans before we had Flip and Larry was injuried it was like pulling teath out there because no one besides Lebron could creat for themselves and score. And At that time It looked like we needed a PG that can take someone off the dribble and creat for himself and for the team.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.