Rehab of the Damned

Quote:
From Greg Oden’s Report of Findings September 24, 2008:

Based upon the analysis, our recommendation is the following:

• Increase Overall Hamstring Strength
• Increase R hamstring and Glute Strength
• Improve R leg explosiveness
• Increase L Gastroc, Soleus, Glute, Hamstring and Quad Flexibility
•Consider a more efficient shoe designed to lift the entire foot to improve normal leg stride.

In Greg’s case, every exercise or target area needing improvement on his list required slow, yet focused repetitions. If Greg was asked to walk, run, squat or jump, he placed more of the load on his left leg than his weaker right leg. I informed the medical staff that this overload would put Greg at risk for a major acute injury to his left leg. Greg’s imbalance was so distinct that I even advised that staff that if he didn’t improve the weaknesses in the short-term and continue some of the rehab-like exercises for the entire season, his career could be at risk.

And you can believe it or not, but the medical staff laughed off my recommendations. In fact, we spent nearly two hours at dinner with the medical staff questioning my results and looking for reasons to discredit the results rather than search for solutions to keep the team’s multimillion dollar athlete on the court. At one point, one member of the medical staff informed me that Greg suffered from a true anatomical leg length shortness on the right side. As a result of that diagnosis, Greg had been prescribed, by physicians, to wear a heel lift in his right shoe. Well doc, I hate to be the one to tell you again, but the heel lift actually increases the load and the amount of anterior/posterior shear (forward/backward sliding) on Greg’s right knee, contributing to his need to undergo several micro-fracture surgeries.
Much more at the article. A very interesting read.

I have looked a little more into the story and the Blazers deny what the author was saying and accused the author of writing the story in the interest of self-promotion. As with all of these he said/she said type cases, the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

·
Self-Proclaimed Expert
4,841 Posts
Considering the insane amount of injury problems the Blazers have faced over the years with all their players, I really don't doubt the validity of his claims. At a certain point, you have to put some of the blame on the people taking care of the players.

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
This article certainly would explain a lot. Were the same trainers advising Bill Walton?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The Blazers record looks bad on the surface but you have to remember "post hoc ergo propter hoc" so I'm not so sure it is their fault.

Roy and Oden had injuries that I don't think can be pinned on the medical staff.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
I say fire the whole medical staff and start new.

I'd comment on the crazy car guy posting above me, but after his post is deleted I'd look crazy.... wait...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts