Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it has been mentioned that there may not even be a basketball season, let alone an in-person school year at many schools across the country. Here is a list compiled by The Chronicle of Higher Education that contains 16 pages of schools of all levels and what their current plan is, updated as of May 11th. I believe the other day I saw that every SEC school planned on opening up on time in the fall while a few of the Big Ten schools had also made that comment. Of the schools they have information on, it looks like 73% are currently planning on opening up in the fall with in-person classes, 14% are holding off on making a decision (most say by June 1st).

At any rate, here is that list: Alphabetical list of school/universities with Fall 2020 plans

UMaine appears to be planning on opening.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Schools have to reopen. 1) Half will become insolvent if they can't (nationwide enrollment at traditional 4-year colleges is projected to decline 15-20% under a "best case" scenario). 2) This lock-down is unsustainable. We need to learn to live with the virus until there's a vaccine. We can not stay in hibernation mode for an additional12-18 months.

Now, the Cal State situation is concerning. Will the NCAA allow fall sports to proceed if some schools remain closed? I'm worried the fall sports season will be called off, at which case it' very unlikely there will be a winter sports season.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is just way too much money at stake for those conferences and the NCAA to have no football. The schools, conferences and NCAA would not be able to financially handle losing all that TV and advertising revenue.

That said, I have no idea what it will look like if some states or conferences cannot play due to government restrictions. I gotta say, there is no way the SEC will cancel football just because the Big West decides they can't because of a couple of schools not being able to play. Then again, not sure a conference will cancel their season either regardless if a member school is told they cannot play by their state. The other members most likely would not want to do that.

I don't know. This is going to be very touch-and-go for a while here and will be interesting to follow.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I'm not trying to get political, nor am I trying to be an epidemiologist. But I think it will be very interesting watching Georgia, Texas, Florida and the other states that have been easing restrictions. If those states continue to loosen up over the next month, and life there returns to a "new normal" (not saying concerts or even arenas-with-fans will occur)--as in deaths don't spike to New York/Western Europe levels--it will be very interesting seeing how the rest of societies and the "blue states" (I think it's safe to say the AE is a "blue state" conference save for NH) respond.

I think it's good we have a federalist situation right now with some states pushing ahead. Know one seems to know how this virus behaves (it has ravaged places like Italy and New York which took draconian lockdowns), yet Sweden gambled and their mortality is not noticeably worse. If these southern states succeed this summer it could be the most encouraging sign we have yet for schools returning to a degree of on-campus operations and intercollegiate athletics (without fans of course).

The virus has become so political you effectively have Democrats rooting against Georgia and these states that started opening up, purely for the sake of political vindication in the event thousands of Georgians die so Democrats can pin that on Georgia's GOP governor and Trump in an election year. I'm no fan of Trump but it's pretty disgusting seeing how both sides are politicizing death.

·
Registered
447 Posts
"it's pretty disgusting seeing how both sides are politicizing death. "

Understatement of the decade. Possible the century.

But your comments are dead on with regard to watching what happens in those states vs. states that stay in lockdown/quasi-lockdown. We loosened up here in Colorado a bit 2 weeks ago and no noticeable spike in cases. At least not yet.

The Cal State situation has the mountain west conference up in the air. There apparently is talk of the SEC going SEC only in their football games (ie - no out of conference) which even further clouds the Mountain West as 3 of their member teams might not play football at all and there were a fair number of MW teams playing SEC teams in out of conference matchups.

·
Premium Member
33,133 Posts
Of course the SEC and Big Ten want to play football in the fall; but are they going to be playing when the NFL is not? That would be...interesting.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,714 Posts
What makes you think the NFL is not going to play?

·
Realist/A-hole
5,714 Posts
The more interesting question is how the student athletes will respond to not playing? Do the elites transfer and petition for immediate eligibility?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Schools have to reopen. 1) Half will become insolvent if they can't (nationwide enrollment at traditional 4-year colleges is projected to decline 15-20% under a "best case" scenario). 2) This lock-down is unsustainable. We need to learn to live with the virus until there's a vaccine. We can not stay in hibernation mode for an additional12-18 months.

Now, the Cal State situation is concerning. Will the NCAA allow fall sports to proceed if some schools remain closed? I'm worried the fall sports season will be called off, at which case it' very unlikely there will be a winter sports season.
This week the University of Arizona announced it will open in the fall. They will be testing and helping students, through their own facilities. One dorm is being set up as a Virus recovery center, no Students in that one. This may be something that other Universities may look into if they have the medical capabilities.
We may see some Universities have dorms for those who are going into fields where they need to be on campus. the medical field is definitely one. There are others I am sure.

·
Premium Member
33,133 Posts
What makes you think the NFL is not going to play?
That’s what I’m hearing right now. Of course, could change but we’re only 2-3 months away from training camp dates and beginning of season but a tremendous amount would need to happen in order for it to operate.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,714 Posts
I think the start could be delayed to get players a reasonable training camp. I think that their will likely be no preseason games. I think their is almost no chance, barring a full blown resurgence of the virus, that they won't play at all.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Denver radio host and voice of the Broncos Dave Logan basically said yesterday on air that the NFL is going to play. The CA teams might be looking for new homes as they might not be allowed to play in California.

·
Premium Member
33,133 Posts
Anyone involved in the media at this point or relies on continuation of professional sports for their livelihood has to be pretty heavily discounted.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Anyone involved in the media at this point or relies on continuation of professional sports for their livelihood has to be pretty heavily discounted.
I don't dispute this but there is a LOT of $ involved with the NFL and NCAA football (esp. SEC). I would expect them to play unless things take a serious downward trend. Been wrong before, though.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I don't dispute this but there is a LOT of $ involved with the NFL and NCAA football (esp. SEC). I would expect them to play unless things take a serious downward trend. Been wrong before, though.
I've been thinking a little about this when it comes to college sports. Is it possible money will play a factor not only in whether college sports come back, but which college sports come back?

We know there's plenty of cash to be had in Power 5 football, even with empty seats. TV numbers would be huge. But how far does that trickle down? Non-P5 schools? I-AA? D-2 & 3? If there's no gate revenue, are they worth playing?

Further down, we all know there are sports that are basically money drains as soon as they take the field/court/pool. If they're basically cash losers anyway, is this the right time to lose cash?

·
Premium Member
33,133 Posts
Absolutely, my point is you can't really rely on media/journalists to make this call and there's going to be a plethora of articles/opinions exploring how professional and college sports might look when they resume, but it's all hopes and dreams at this stage. The reality is other then preventing a hospital surge when this all broke, nearly nothing has changed since mid-March in respect to combating COVID.

·
5,947 Posts
Another casualty, as Bowling Green cuts baseball. The MAC has decided to eliminate conference postseason except its football championship and basketball tournaments for four years.

I've been thinking a little about this when it comes to college sports. Is it possible money will play a factor not only in whether college sports come back, but which college sports come back?

We know there's plenty of cash to be had in Power 5 football, even with empty seats. TV numbers would be huge. But how far does that trickle down? Non-P5 schools? I-AA? D-2 & 3? If there's no gate revenue, are they worth playing?

Further down, we all know there are sports that are basically money drains as soon as they take the field/court/pool. If they're basically cash losers anyway, is this the right time to lose cash?
I personally think schools were looking to cut a number of programs even before all this, but didn't want the negative PR. The G5 schools get virtually nothing from the football TV deals, and their non-revenue programs were suffering the most. I think once the new college football playoff TV deal gets renegotiated in 2026, the G5 conferences need to be more forceful in demanding a bigger share of the pie. The biggest chip could be CBS, since they're ending their 30 year partnership with the SEC in a few years; I think the AAC will look to snap it up, putting them in a better position on the national stage. If the other G5 conferences aren't assertive and settle for crumbs like they've been doing since the formation of the CFA in the 1970's, then they might as well drop down to FCS or eliminate football altogether.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Another casualty, as Bowling Green cuts baseball. The MAC has decided to eliminate conference postseason except its football championship and basketball tournaments for four years.

I personally think schools were looking to cut a number of programs even before all this, but didn't want the negative PR. The G5 schools get virtually nothing from the football TV deals, and their non-revenue programs were suffering the most. I think once the new college football playoff TV deal gets renegotiated in 2026, the G5 conferences need to be more forceful in demanding a bigger share of the pie. The biggest chip could be CBS, since they're ending their 30 year partnership with the SEC in a few years; I think the AAC will look to snap it up, putting them in a better position on the national stage. If the other G5 conferences aren't assertive and settle for crumbs like they've been doing since the formation of the CFA in the 1970's, then they might as well drop down to FCS or eliminate football altogether.
Interesting.

Binghamton competes in the MAC for Men's Tennis. Or maybe that will become "competed"?

I wonder if this finally starts the ball rolling towards more crossover between conferences and increased regionalization for the non-revenue sports.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts