Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Dr. Freeman Hrabowski was on NPR today and said that they believe campus will be open this Fall. However, he wasn't sure how it would look yet as there's a significant residential student presence. I think he said 70% are residents now?

So it's TBD but the goal very much appears to be having some proportion of students on campus if they can.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Furman University announced several moves Monday to address the financial impact of the coronavirus. The biggest two: The school is discontinuing its baseball and men’s lacrosse programs.

Furman is also cutting the salaries of the president and senior administrators and implementing furloughs and budget reductions, the school announced. The university is planning to have classes in person this fall.
. . .
The college, located in Greenville, is believed to be the first in South Carolina to make a decision to cut athletics programs in response to the coronavirus’ impact on school finances.
Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/article242819861.html#storylink=cpy

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
South Carolina starts earlier ....no fall break...in person classes done by thanksgiving. Then after thanksgiving all online with finals online dec 7-14.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Ithaca College, Private Div 3 college in upstate NY is not opening campus or starting their Fall semester until Oct 5.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,714 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
"I believe that Furman has one of the smallest enrollments of any D1 school, which will exacerbate the financial effects the virus has unleashed."

-Alumni96 5/19/2020

Sorry - couldn't resist the urge to quote you on this.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Couple of Power 5 schools have mentioned football and the start of the school year.

In short, Michigan has said that "no students on campus, no football".

Iowa State said they fully expect to be playing football in the fall, but that they will limit attendance to 30,000 (capacity is just under 62,000).

I have seen the 20 or so CDC recommendations for public grade schools to open in the fall and I really don't see how many of those can be done realistically. Not to mention economically, logistically, etc. Among them were requiring any child over 2 to wear a mask. I have a dear friend that owns a preschool and she said there is no way she could do what they are recommending. In addition, she said the social, mental, etc issues that kids will develop will be devastating if these were to be made mandatory and implemented.

My head hurts thinking about these past 3 months and the unknown staring us all in the face.

·
Premium Member
33,133 Posts
Everything is going to continue to suck pretty bad, until it doesn’t anymore. That’s just the simple reality of the current situation.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe that Furman has one of the smallest enrollments of any D1 school, which will exacerbate the financial effects the virus has unleashed.
Looks like they have about ~2,700 students. I'm pretty sure Wofford, Colgate and Saint Bonaventure are all smaller. Probably quite of few of the Patriot League schools (and NEC like Mt St Mary's....actually Saint Mary's CA too) are smaller than that. Bonaventure is smaller than most NESCACs and is the exact type of tuition-dependent, under-capitalized school that will be absolutely whacked in this pandemic.

Come to think of there are a lot of tiny D1 private colleges that must be supporting D1 athletics by the skin of their teeth. There's going to be a reckoning and this is why I'm glad the AE--aside from Hartford--is largely made up of well-capitalized public research universities. Our schools will not be spared, but we'll come out of this a lot better than most midmajor conferences will.

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Come to think of there are a lot of tiny D1 private colleges that must be supporting D1 athletics by the skin of their teeth. There's going to be a reckoning and this is why I'm glad the AE--aside from Hartford--is largely made up of well-capitalized public research universities. Our schools will not be spared, but we'll come out of this a lot better than most midmajor conferences will.
So, I was bored and this got me curious. Appears as though Furman has 2,754 undergraduates (roughly). I did some looking around and here are the ones I found that look to have fewer:

2,689 - St. Mary's (CA)
2,642 - Lafayette
2,423 - St. Peter's
2,406 - Mississippi Valley State
2,363 - St. Francis (NY)
2,321 - Houston Baptist
2,256 - Canisius
2,243 - Evansville
2,111 - St. Francis (PA)
2,028 - Gardner Webb
2,005 - Mt. St. Mary's
1,843 - Davidson
1,812 - St. Bonaventure
1,762 - Wagner
1,720 - Wofford
1,080 - Presbyterian

I didn't look up every single school so there could be some omissions. Of course, there are many, many more that are within a few hundred above them as well, such as Colgate, Siena, Iona, Niagara, Coppen State, etc.

This pandemic will undoubtedly have a major effect on most of these schools now and in the future.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Not sure if this was posted anywhere else. It is 9 days old, but I don't recall seeing this on the forum already. State/local restrictions could limit this for some schools, but a step in the right direction.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts