Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know its unfair to play the "you could have drafted this player, instead" game for lower picks, but when I see the way some of the Wests power-houses have retooled without reaching rock-bottom I got ill. Case in point- the two late games yesterday. Gerald Wallace is a stud. Soumaila Samake is a more than adequate back-up. The Spurs have a yound exciting foreign backcourt of Ginobili and Parker... and all of these players were lower picks or undrafted. Here we are being forced to watch Bagaric play, and develop into what... a backup center. I often get convinced the Bulls would be better of cycling through undrafted players and FA's instead of sticking with the One headed monster.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
I agree. Great point(s).

Besides Soumaila Samake, Boston and Miami each have a 7' foot European center picked up off of waivers that are probably better than Bags.

A lot of teams have found scrappy defenders that helped the team off of the waiver wire (Raja Bell, Greg Buckner, Ira Newble, etc). This beats having a bunch of unhappy lottery picks upset about bench warming.

Teams have used their second round picks on foreigners to great success. Krause started this trend with Kukoc. What happened? I am still shocked that we did not go this route at least once in 2000 or 2002 when we had multiple second rounders - 5 picks in the 2 years.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I agree, we have already seen the 23 yr. old Cezary Trybanski (Griz) at the RMR. He definitely is decades closer to starting in the NBA than Bagaric... and Bagaric isn't even happy with his bench time.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!
I agree. Great point(s).

Besides Soumaila Samake, Boston and Miami each have a 7' foot European center picked up off of waivers that are probably better than Bags.

A lot of teams have found scrappy defenders that helped the team off of the waiver wire (Raja Bell, Greg Buckner, Ira Newble, etc). This beats having a bunch of unhappy lottery picks upset about bench warming.

Teams have used their second round picks on foreigners to great success. Krause started this trend with Kukoc. What happened? I am still shocked that we did not go this route at least once in 2000 or 2002 when we had multiple second rounders - 5 picks in the 2 years.
Great post J797 (and everyone else thus far in this thread).

Post Kukoc, Jerry K has really struck out on the foreign players he acquired/drafted.... Dragan Tarlac, Dalibor Bagaric, Kornel David, Roberto Duenas, etc.

As well, though I like Trenton Hassell (universally regarded as the one above average defender on our team).... we could use a Raja Bell, Bruce Bowen, Ira Newble type on this squad. We have simply too many young players wanting to 'prove' themselves in the NBA (including Hassell). This makes for a bad formula for winning games.

VD

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Love the tread!

Give me guys that are used to the CBA bus. Let me rotate in guys on 10-day contracts that are fighting it out just for another second 10 days.

Look at the great attitude of Rick Brunson. We have 14 guys with inflated expectations and 1 guy that will do *ANYTHING* the coach asks for.

Is a 13\2 or 12\3 ratio too much to ask for?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Originally posted by <b>C.C.C.P</b>!
I know its unfair to play the "you could have drafted this player, instead" game for lower picks, but when I see the way some of the Wests power-houses have retooled without reaching rock-bottom I got ill. Case in point- the two late games yesterday. Gerald Wallace is a stud. Soumaila Samake is a more than adequate back-up. The Spurs have a yound exciting foreign backcourt of Ginobili and Parker... and all of these players were lower picks or undrafted. Here we are being forced to watch Bagaric play, and develop into what... a backup center. I often get convinced the Bulls would be better of cycling through undrafted players and FA's instead of sticking with the One headed monster.
Not only could we have drafted him, Samake was actually a Bull for about 2 days last year (we acquired him from Phoenix for Jake Voskuhl and then cut him)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Another brilliant move, but I do think we only did the trade to get him to get rid of Voskuhl and get a draft pick. Samake is
now much better than then, but he probable always was better than Bags.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Re: Soumaila Samake- the anti Bagaric

Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

Not only could we have drafted him, Samake was actually a Bull for about 2 days last year (we acquired him from Phoenix for Jake Voskuhl and then cut him)
Jesus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts