Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
‏@BradBiggs

An NFL source just told me #Bears will hire Marc Trestman as the next head coach

Brad Biggs

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Re: Source: Bears to hire former NFL asst/current CFL HC Marc Trestman as head coach

i like this move. ALOT better then the Browns hire lol

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Source: Bears to hire former NFL asst/current CFL HC Marc Trestman as head coach

This was written before. For those wanting to know more about him.

Trestman right guy for Bears job

Knowing what we know about the candidates, which is always tricky unless you've covered them, my favorite is Trestman, who was famously given Jimmy Johnson's congratulations in a tweet last week. Maybe Johnson wasn't premature. The 57-year-old endured the grinder's lifestyle as an assistant coach in the NFL to get here -- eight NFL teams, nine if you count his second stint with the Vikings, from 1985 to 2004 -- a stint at North Carolina State and his current gig as head coach for the Canadian Football League Montreal Alouettes.

Save the "Kids in the Hall" jokes. He's the real deal. Ask Steve Young. Trestman coached him in 1995-96 -- the latter year, Bill Walsh was brought in as a consultant -- and Young raves about the bespectacled Trestman, noting on the "Waddle & Silvy" show on ESPN 1000 that if Cutler is willing, "you could make some good music."

"Marc Trestman is not just an offensive coordinator," Young said. "He's a head coach."

Some have focused on his last five years as head man in Montreal, and that reminds of the local opposition to John Groce at Illinois. Groce wasn't a Mid-American Conference coach, as some billed him; he was a Big Ten assistant who bused through the MAC to be a head coach for a few years.

Trestman is an NFL guy and, by all accounts, a gifted offensive mind and the kind of teacher that might correct Cutler's faults. He will hire guys like himself, Young said, and give the team the innovative offense it has lacked. You figure he might keep Rod Marinelli, still under contract, as the defensive coordinator. That would be the smart move, reminiscent of Mike Tomlin keeping Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

I'm sure Emery sees the coach as a kindred spirit, a guy that's smart, organized and largely overlooked in the celebrity culture of the league. Trestman, who would likely use some kind of Walsh-influenced offense, had his brief bouts with public relevance as offensive coordinator -- two years with San Francisco before George Seifert was axed, some time in Arizona and a solid run in Oakland with a Super Bowl appearance.

Trestman, who went to law school and wrote about a book about perseverance, went back to coach in college after the 2004 season, looking for stability for his two daughters, according to a 2010 Montreal Gazette story, before a coaching change pushed him toward Montreal. Two Grey Cups later and here we are.

"We plan, and the universe changes," Trestman told the Gazette.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts

Jimmy Johnson‏ @JimmyJohnson

Looks like 2 of my guys getting NFL jobs..Chud Cleveland and my QB coach at U Trestman to Chicago
I guess he is one of the most reliable sources now, tweeted this four days ago :laugh:

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts

Damn, thanks Jimmy!

Don't know anything bout this dude -- but it's funny he's coming from the CFL tho

·
Premium Member
17,902 Posts

Seems like a culture change in Chicago going from a defensive mind to an offensive mind.

·
Premium Member
19,652 Posts

Seems like a culture change in Chicago going from a defensive mind to an offensive mind.
The last Bears head coach with an offensive background was actually Mike Ditka.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Marc Trestman and the Alouettes were a powerhouse his entire tenure in the CFL. They were serious threats to win the grey cup every year behind their amazing offense. Whether or not this translates to the NFL I don't know, but from what I've seen him do in the CFL, I'd be comfortable with him coaching my NFL team.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

He has like 20 years of NFL experience too, thinking of him strictly as a CFL coach is just a fundamental lack of knowledge about his background.

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I'm waiting to form an opinion... it was a given that we'd go with an offensive guy, hopefully we got the right one. From what I've heard it sounds like he is open to keeping Marinelli as the defensive coordinator but Marinelli apparently has other offers and may take off. We'll see. I wouldn't mind some continuity on defense... we were 2nd in the NFL in points allowed last year, I believe.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts
I'm well aware of that but lots of people aren't. He was on the Raiders coaching staff when they made the Super Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Verticalsports.com Free App
Never said you didn't know, I'm sure you're more in tune with his recent production anybody else would be since you actually watch CFL from the sounds of it. Just speaking to the narrative about players maybe not having total respect for him since he's coming from the CFL (sports radio banter).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts