Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
115,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
link

The Portland Trail Blazers have verbally agreed in principle to a contract extension with forward LaMarcus Aldridge, a source close to the process told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

The extension is for five years and $65 milliion and will go into effect next season, the source said.

If Aldridge achieves certain hard-to-reach incentives, his contract could ultimately be worth as much as $70 million.

The deal comes after a summer of angst between the Blazers and their two young potential free agents -- Aldridge and Brandon Roy. The Blazers, after some verbal sparring, reached an agreement with Roy on a five-year, $80 million dollar max contract. Aldridge was searching for a similar contract from the Blazers but after several months of negotiation settled on a deal worth roughly $15 million less.

General manager Kevin Pritchard drafted both players in 2006 and they have become the centerpieces of the Blazers' youthful, up-and-coming team.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
I'm very happy this was finally taken care of. I didn't really doubt it would, but as it got closer to Oct 31 I was starting to wonder if there was going to be a problem.

Oden next year. We're going to have a lot of money invested.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
that's actually kind of expensive for aldridge. he's a nice young player but i think it's about 2million per year too much. unless aldridge improves his rebounding and take matter into his own hands on offense instead of always being so passive, he would be worth it.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
Yeah I'll agree in terms of individual worth it's more than ideal but that never matters. It's about a player's worth to a team, that's all relative.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
WOW! It's clear that this team doesn't care about the Salary Cap and the Luxury Tax threshold going down next season. It would have been good value at 5-years $40 mil. It would have been fair at 5-years $45 mil. Anything over 5-years $50 mil is overpaying, IMO. I guess I'm old fashioned, though. I don't believe in paying your starting PF an 8-figure per year salary when he gets less than 10 rebounds a game, shoots under 50%, and doesn't even block a shot-and-a-half per game.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Great move to get both of these guys locked up now.

Seeing how good Oden is playing in the preseason, and with the addition of a solid PG like Andre Miller, I actually think the sky is the limit for this team.

It'll be the best Blazers squad in quite a while, that's for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts