Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My source just got finished talking to Fran Dunphy. Dunph wants to remain at Penn but if Penn officials fail to contact him and let him know he is still wanted then Dunph will jump to Temple.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Dunphy is a big boy. If he wants to stay at Penn then he should tell Temple he is not interested, not waiting until his current employer pats him on the back and gives him a hug. If he is concerned about money then he can forget about staying at Penn.

By the way, why the hell is Temple taking so long to get this done. It this was a major concern to the school then the president should get his a$$ back to campus to sign-off on this hire. Lets get it together Temple.

·
Registered
367 Posts
When Dunphy's name was bandied about for the LaSalle job last time, didn't he play it cute and string his Alma Mater along for a while? No press statements, no nothing...as I recall.

Could be he's trying to see how much Penn will cough up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Explorer Steve posted yesterday:
There is a 1pm News conference scheduled at Temple tomorrow although Dunphy denied he would be at the news conference.
Still waiting for that presser to happen, Mr.Insider. Is this the same source who is now telling you that Dunphy wants to stay at Penn but won't unless they show him some love?

And bobber, yes, Dunphy strung LaSalle along for 3 weeks while Ed Rendell (Gov.of PA), David Montgomery (Pres.of Phila.Phillies) and other influential Penn alums pulled together the money to bribe Dunphy to stay. Dunphy was making approx. $140k at Penn (hard to believe it was that little after being there 14 years) and they were able to bump him up to a reported $340k per year. LaSalle supposedly offered him $400k to coach and also assume sole responsibility for the men's basketball program. Dunphy has always wanted to become an Athletic Director, and this would have been a way to ease him into that role.

He's a good coach, he's supposedly a very nice guy and comes across very well when dealing with the media, but as far as I'm concerned, Temple can have him. He's all about the $$$$. When La Salle needed him, he snubbed them. As it turns out, I think we made out a lot better by getting Dr.G. The job needed a younger guy with a lot of energy, and G fit the bill and has done an outstanding job so far.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The funny thing is that Penn's endowment is friggin' enormous compared to LaSalle or even Temple. If they really wanted to pay him, they could. I'd like to see him go to Temple. I might actually root for them when they're not playing SJU again.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Bilsky and Dunphy don't get along. Apparently Penn did not up Dunphy's salary after LaSalle courted him. He got the increase through influencial alumns is the rumor. So he gets a paycheck from Penn for 200K or so and another 150K-200K from Louis Katz, Dave Montgomery. Ed Rendell and the boys.

Is that even NCAA compliant? I guess other coaches get paid from radio and TV stations as well as sneaker companies so why not?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There is also pressure coming from Temple alums in the NBA, like Aaron McKie, who have supposedly said they will donate millions but only if Brunson is chosen. Temple has said they do not consider outside influences but if a couple million is on the table they might just be a little slower in making a decision.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mik said:
Bilsky and Dunphy don't get along. Apparently Penn did not up Dunphy's salary after LaSalle courted him. He got the increase through influencial alumns is the rumor. So he gets a paycheck from Penn for 200K or so and another 150K-200K from Louis Katz, Dave Montgomery. Ed Rendell and the boys.

Is that even NCAA compliant? I guess other coaches get paid from radio and TV stations as well as sneaker companies so why not?
Remember Rollie Mass' secret salary bonus that he was to receive from UNLV? I think he got burnt because it was a state school issuse.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
ExplorerSteve said:
There is also pressure coming from Temple alums in the NBA, like Aaron McKie, who have supposedly said they will donate millions but only if Brunson is chosen. Temple has said they do not consider outside influences but if a couple million is on the table they might just be a little slower in making a decision.

A million here, a million there - its the NBA. I'd kind of doubt that one. Better save their coin for other pursuits, obligations, etc...

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ever wonder why there was NEVER a hint at a negative newspaper article on Ed Rendell when he was mayor?
Quid pro quo...
He forgave over $300k in back taxes to PNI (owners of Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News) in exchange for all positive articles. I think Rendell spends more time at sporting events (Penn hoops, Phils games and Eagles games including post game show on tv) then he does working as the Governor.

When Rendell was mayor of Philly he did the city right by getting the Republican national convention here and fixing up center city but he also allowed the public schools to go bankrupt forcing state intervention. He also was with more women then Clinton had in his governors mansion. He tries to portray a "nice guy" image but underneath there is a lot of slime.

Dunph should reach a decision by tomorrow but he may drag it out another week or two. Bruiser would appear to be the fall-back guy with Brunson as an assistant and eventual successor.

·
Registered
177 Posts
ExplorerSteve said:
Ever wonder why there was NEVER a hint at a negative newspaper article on Ed Rendell when he was mayor?
Quid pro quo...
He forgave over $300k in back taxes to PNI (owners of Philadelphia Inquirer and Daily News) in exchange for all positive articles. I think Rendell spends more time at sporting events (Penn hoops, Phils games and Eagles games including post game show on tv) then he does working as the Governor.

When Rendell was mayor of Philly he did the city right by getting the Republican national convention here and fixing up center city but he also allowed the public schools to go bankrupt forcing state intervention. He also was with more women then Clinton had in his governors mansion. He tries to portray a "nice guy" image but underneath there is a lot of slime.

Dunph should reach a decision by tomorrow but he may drag it out another week or two. Bruiser would appear to be the fall-back guy with Brunson as an assistant and eventual successor.
Ah, Steve is back with this typical political BS.....

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was very impressed by LaSalle's squad this year. I thought they got jobbed by the NIT this postseason. Dr G seems like a very good fit. Will be interesting to see how the program progresses with S Smith departing.

I think Temple should have been more aggressive as well this past 2 weeks in getting their man. The league will feel strange next year without coach Chaney around.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I was very impressed by LaSalle's squad this year. I thought they got jobbed by the NIT this postseason. Dr G seems like a very good fit. Will be interesting to see how the program progresses with S Smith departing.

I think Temple should have been more aggressive as well this past 2 weeks in getting their man. The league will feel strange next year without coach Chaney around.

·
Registered
367 Posts
LaSalleFan wrote about Dunphy:

He's a good coach, he's supposedly a very nice guy and comes across very well when dealing with the media, but as far as I'm concerned, Temple can have him. He's all about the $$$$. When La Salle needed him, he snubbed them.

Then I'd say screw him. Temple can do better than a money grabber.

·
Registered
33 Posts
bobber said:
Temple can do better than a money grabber.
Would that it were so. Their interviews have been with Dunphy, Gonzales, Demopolis, Flint, Bibby, and Brunson. Dunphy and Gonzales were the only two plausible candidates among that group, and Gonzales has now taken the Seton Hall job. If Dunphy turns them down at this point, we could very well be looking at Rick Brunson as the next coach of the Temple Owls.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
AH said:
Ah, Steve is back with this typical political BS.....
It is not political, credit was given for the good, and it is NOT BS. The truth is out there if you seek it.

As for the press conf. not happening - it was scheduled but canceled to "throw off the ignorant jerks".

The lack of trust and communication between Bilsky and Dunphy could be the final factor in pushing Dunph to jump to Temple... assuming the $ is equal of course.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.