Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- With one quarterback change, the New York Jets may have affected the future of two quarterbacks -- Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.

The Jets will explore all options with Sanchez, including a trade, and the team plans to part ways with Tebow after the season, league sources said Wednesday.

It would be difficult to trade Sanchez because of an $8.25 million guarantee in 2013 in his contract. However, the Jets, who benched Sanchez this week in favor of the unproven Greg McElroy, are taking an open-minded approach and may be willing to start over at quarterback.

Responding to the trade speculation, Sanchez's agent and older brother, Nick Sanchez, said Wednesday night: "Mark is a Jet and he's going to support the Jets any way he can through the remainder of season."

Nick Sanchez declined to comment on next season.

Meanwhile, a clearly miffed Tebow, no longer masking his season-long frustration, left no doubt he's unhappy with his role. He will seek to play elsewhere next season, and the Jets appear willing to accommodate his wishes.

Upset he was passed over for the starting-quarterback job, Tebow spoke of the Jets in the past tense Wednesday, admitting he doesn't understand why they traded for him last March. Asked if he envisions returning to the team in 2013, he said: "I'm not sure. It's something we'll talk about after the season."

The backup quarterback is expected to ask out, clarifying, "I haven't asked for a trade yet" -- the word "yet" hanging in the air. He's signed through 2014.

Sanchez said "of course" he'd like to remain with the Jets, but he declined to discuss his future in any detail. At some point in the offseason, he'd like to meet with the front office and the coaching staff to discuss his role and the direction of the offense, sources said. If he doesn't like what he hears, it's possible he, too, may want a fresh start on another team.

Because of severe cap ramifications, the Jets would be hard-pressed to cut Sanchez, who received a contract extension last March. The cap charge for such a move would be $17.1 million in 2013, although the Jets can spread it over two seasons if they designate him a June 1 cut.

If the Jets trade him, they'd have an $8.9 million cap hit. The Jets also probably would have to pay a large chunk of his $8.25 million guarantee to convince another team to take him, and that total would be added to the $8.9 million charge.

Sanchez told a crowd of reporters at his locker on Wednesday that he disagreed with coach Rex Ryan's decision to bench him. A handful of cameramen fled Sanchez's locker and sprinted across the room when McElroy appeared, creating a commotion that caused Sanchez to stop mid-sentence and look up -- another vintage moment in the Jets' three-quarterback circus.

Sanchez went from starter to likely third string in a New York minute. He did a better job of hiding his emotions than Tebow, who "looked furious" upon receiving the news Tuesday morning from Ryan that McElroy would start this weekend, according to a team source.

Tebow has been listed as the No. 2 quarterback from the first day of training camp and felt he deserved the shot, but Ryan, making the first quarterback change in his four-year tenure, opted for the inexperienced McElroy.

"Obviously, I'm a little disappointed," Tebow said.

Tebow, who has played in only 70 offensive snaps, was at a loss to explain why the Jets wanted him in the first place.

"Some things are hard to understand," he said.

For nearly five months, Tebow stuck to the company line, showing little candor under constant questioning about his desire for a bigger role. Finally, he revealed his frustration.

"All you can ask for, all you want is a chance -- a chance to go out and play the game you love and help this team win football games," he said. "That's all I wanted. I tried to make the most of every opportunity I had. I would've loved to have had more."

Ryan, who spent the summer crowing about Tebow's expected impact in the Wildcat package, appeared utterly flummoxed Wednesday as he tried to explain what has gone wrong.

"For some reason, it hasn't panned out to my expectations -- and maybe not Tim's, either," said Ryan, who has insisted the Tebow trade wasn't forced upon him by ownership.
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/sto...sanchez-part-ways-tim-tebow-according-sources

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
Re: Sources: Jets to shop Sanchez, dump Tebow

Smh what a joke of an organization. I can't imagine McElroy is the answer for them -- they should be using a draft pick or going after Vick or Alex Smith this off-season.

·
Premium Member
21,879 Posts

Vick has had zero offensive line help this year, it's been pretty brutal. I've always been a fan of his, so I may be clinging a bit, but I think he still has some game left in him despite how horribly this year has gone. Get him out of Philly and I think his numbers normalize a bit...that being said, I don't know if New York is where I'd like to see him end up either.

I could see somebody scooping up Sanchez for pennies on the dollar, and Tebow will find another home if he gets cut/dumped.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

Probably has negative trade value if he has any. You'd probably have to throw in something pretty good to get another team to eat that moronic contract

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts

They can't trade Sanchez, b/c his contract extension has starter-type pay, and anyone who wants him will want him as a backup. They are going to have to waive him and eat the 8+ MIL that's guaranteed. Vick would be a decent fit, but they can't afford a veteran QB after eating Sanchez's 8M. They could draft a QB, or trade for a rookie-scale QB.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts

Kirk Cousins?

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts

Kirk Cousins?
Him or Alex Smith i want. Vick is a terrible choice for this team and city

But it not just the QB we need. We need 2 WRs,a RB that can start, some depth on the oline,Pouha getting old, Bart Scott needs to be replace, we need 2 new LB that can rush the passer and some depth at CB

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts

I could see somebody scooping up Sanchez for pennies on the dollar, and Tebow will find another home if he gets cut/dumped.
The Sanchise has something like $13 million guaranteed. So in his case "pennies on the dollar" means "Crapcakes and a second rounder for a seventh rounder". Otherwise I think he won't get picked up unless the Jests cut him.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

I dont see how they can possibly trade sanchez with that contract...they will probably be better off just swallowing it and cutting him loose.

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts

So let’s make sense of the cap situation, from three perspectives: (1) if Sanchez stays on the team; (2) if he’s cut; and (3) if he’s traded.

If Sanchez stays on the team, the Jets will owe him a guaranteed base salary of $8.25 million and a workout bonus of $500,000 in 2013. His total cap number of $12.853 million for next season includes a $2.5 million proration from a guaranteed payment made in 2010, along with a $1.6 million proration from the $8 million signing bonus Sanchez received in March.

If the Jets cut Sanchez before June 1, they can designate the move as a post-June 1 transaction (each team can do that with two players per year). This would defer $4.8 million in dead money from the March 2012 signing bonus to 2014. Because, however, Sanchez’s base salary for 2013 is fully guaranteed with no offset, the cap charge for 2013 would still be $12.353 million, with only the $500,000 workout bonus avoided.

Cutting him before June 1 without the post-June 1 designation would result in a cap hit of $17.1 million. He would then be off the books for 2014.

A trade before June 1 would trigger an immediate cap charge of $8.9 million, along with any portion of the $8.25 million in guaranteed salary that the Jets would have to pay in order to make the trade happen. If, for example, the Jets ship Sanchez to Arizona and the Jets agree to pay $5.25 million of the base salary while the Cardinals pay the remaining $3 million, the total cap hit for the Jets would be $14.15 million.

Perhaps the best outcome for the Jets would be to persuade another team to assume half of the $8.25 million base salary, which would allow the Jets to save some cash while also approximating the cap hit they’ll absorb if he’s on the team but not playing in 2013.

Of course, the biggest challenge could be finding a team that would be willing to pay more than $4 million for Sanchez in 2013, especially since his contract carries $11.5 million in compensation come 2014, $14 million in 2015, and $11.25 million in 2016.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/19/making-sense-of-the-sanchez-cap-hit/

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

So they're saying that the Jets are ****ed? I knew that already

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts

The most likely scenario i think is the Jets taking Mike Glennon in the draft. A big strong arm pocket passer

·
Come At Me Bro
6,946 Posts

Kirk Cousins?
The only guy they could afford from a money standpoint if they are looking to trade for a guy. But his stock is at a high and would take at least a second rounder to get him.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts

The most likely scenario i think is the Jets taking Mike Glennon in the draft. A big strong arm pocket passer
Glennon is going to need a great offensive line in front of him. He has tools, but only in the pocket. When he moves it usually becomes disastrous and since he moves very slowly disaster arrives that much sooner. You pair him up with the Jets O-line and you're as bad off as you are with Sanchez IMO. He doesn't take as long to make a decision as say David Carr, but he takes too long for the NFL. He takes way too long to be playing behind a poor O-line.

·
Whiteside of the Moon
9,694 Posts

Shopping him? At Macy's? Surely they don't think anyone is giving up draft picks for that bum.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts

Shopping him? At Macy's? Surely they don't think anyone is giving up draft picks for that bum.
They just need someone to take on his contract. All Arizona needs to do is cough up a sixth-rounder and I bet he's gone, just to be out from under the financial obligation. Now, I'm not saying it's going to happen, but even the Jets know they aren't getting any real value in return.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts