Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of former Red Sox are reuniting in another American League East city.

The Tampa Bay Rays have agreed to one-year deals with free agents Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez, sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

Damon agreed to a one-year deal worth $5.25 million plus incentives and Ramirez one year at $2 million, according to SI.com. Both deals are pending physicals. Damon will likely play left field and Ramirez designated hitter.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=6045200

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Dont really get the moves since it rebuilding time for the Rays...Maybe they think the 2 can bring in fans?

·
**** the clippers
16,459 Posts
Everyone's acting like the Rays are sinking to the Orioles' level. Not the case. They still have a good team there. Crawford and Pena leaving hurts, but they're replaceable players. Damon and Manny don't replace them but they're good bats to add to a lineup. I'm not even that concerned about their bullpen either... relief pitching is unpredictable, they may very well be able to tread water there by plugging in five or six Joe Schmoes. Tampa's in a bridge year anyhway, they're going to be pretty scary in 2012.

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Yeah, rebuilding in baseball isn't like rebuilding in other sports. Draft picks are rarely ready for the majors in less than three years, so you're better off not being the Pittsburgh Pirates, trying to keep the major league club good and investing your money in scouting/drafting.
I was thinking more that Tampa Bay should be trying out their Young Players...And would you really want your Young Players looking up to Manny as their Veteran leader? No i dont think so

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I think they'll end up around .500 on the season. They also lost Garza via trade in addition to Pena and Crawford. They need to find a closer. But David Price should win 15+ games this year. Desmond Jennings is supposed to be a heck of a player, but with these signings it sounds like he's not ready yet.

They tried losing for the kids before, and Lou Pinella went insane.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts