Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/222sd2.htm

more rehashing. i wonder if this cat has actually caught The Fat Man in action yet? so is being 4-5 more "forgettable" than 0-9? paul, you're killing me with this stuff!

The two NBA teams that made the deal are off to forgettable starts.

One side is steamed that it was all but forced to trade a player after he refused to take a genetic heart test, and said player remains bitter that his career didn't turn out better in his hometown. Even their respective head coaches have exchanged jabs from a distance.

It may be too early to write off the Eddy Curry trade as a lose-lose situation for the New York Knicks and the Bulls only three weeks into the regular season, but, to say the least, the early returns don't bode well for either side.

According to one team source, Bulls management is peeved that Curry did not accept its contract offer, which included a $20 million payment over 50 years if the results of a genetic test brought an end to his career. The team also was less than thrilled that Curry could not be contacted for several weeks before the trade was finally consummated last month.

What's more, the Bulls believed they would be able to re-sign veteran forward Antonio Davis after the Knicks released him as part of the trade. But Knicks general manager Isiah Thomas had second thoughts about it because he feared the league could come down hard on such a preconceived arrangement. Or so the story goes.

Bulls operations chief John Paxson did not return phone calls last week.

Statistically, Curry has given the Knicks about what he gave the Bulls the last four seasons. In the first 10 games, he averaged 12.6 points, 6.5 rebounds and 1.3 blocked shots per game.

"I feel like if I play every night, the (Madison Square) Garden will be the best place in the world to play," Curry said.

New York also can be the worst place to play for an athlete who doesn't live up to a six-year, $56-million contract, which Curry signed after the trade.

While Curry has hardly been a bust at this point, he hasn't made anyone forget Patrick Ewing yet. As was the case in Chicago in recent years, Curry already has started to hear media criticism about a lack of aggressiveness and stamina and weaknesses as a defender and rebounder.

"Eddy Curry may be the softest player to play the position," said Mike Francesa, who co-hosts a popular radio show in New York. "He's Mel Counts. He can catch it and shoot it, but that's all."

The problem is, Knicks head coach Larry Brown has a preference for defenders and rebounders.

Much like Curry and Skiles were here, Curry and Brown have been oil and water.

·
Premium Member
9,836 Posts
I liked the part where Pax didn't return his calls.

Although he was out scouting, I like to think he didn't want to talk about any of this ever again. Or just didn't want to talk to Paul.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
There wasn't anything new in that article that hasn't already been beaten to death around here, outside of Pax not returning Southtown Paul's phone calls.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
mizenkay said:
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/dssports/pro/222sd2.htm

more rehashing. i wonder if this cat has actually caught The Fat Man in action yet? so is being 4-5 more "forgettable" than 0-9? paul, you're killing me with this stuff!
Yeah, its a lot of rehashing, but he does mention Wide Load in the article:

If there is a positive to the trade from a Bulls standpoint, it is the recent play of Sweetney, who at 6-foot-8, 270 pounds is a sawed-off Curry of sorts.

"I have confidence in Mike," Skiles said. "He's a very skilled guy. There's not much he can't do. He can shoot it. He can put it on the floor. He can score a little bit in the low post. He's a good passer and a low-turnover player.

"He has been a little bit better defensively every game, so there's not much not to like.
He just has to work on his condition and get in better shape."

The one thing Sweetney can't do is grow three inches. As a result, he doesn't answer the need for a scorer to complement Tyson Chandler at the position, which is at or near the top of the Bulls' wish list at the moment.

While the Bulls (4-5) are off to a so-so start without Curry, the Knicks (3-7) have been worse with him.
As to the bolded part: So you mean, he's like a "sawed off Curry" in that he can score -- and unfortunately, could use better conditioning, but is otherwise completely different than Curry, in that he can shoot, put it on the floor, play solid defense, pass the ball and not commit turnovers?

I know McGraw browses our boards sometimes. I wonder if Paul is aware he's been given a nickname that has stuck?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts