Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Imagine if Webster had gone to UW for a year. Now think about how well he would have done alongside Roy and company.

Grab a mock draft and place Webster given how you think he would have done.

Personally, I doubt he would have been ranked ahead of Roy. Nor ahead of Morrison, or Aldridge, or Gay... I think it's possible he would have been around at the 10 spot or so.

Clearly, there are no right or wrong answers here, but I wonder if most of us think he would have been a clear lottery pick.

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I don't think he would've been a lottery pick. He'd probably have to adjust to the college game and hit his stride midway through the season, but not have a big enough impact to go lottery (or maybe even declare for the draft at all).

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I think your 10 spot is probably pretty close, unless he'd just lit the NCAA on fire. I'm sure that part of his decision to come out last year instead of this year had to do with the small number of good swing men available in 2005 vs. 2006. That said, I'm a whole lot more interested in how good he's going to be in 2-3 years than I am in thinking about his position in any given year's draft. I like what I'm seeing from him so far, but I'd sure like to see him get more consistent with his shot than he's been so far. It would probably help if Nate would actually run a play for the guy occasionally. This thing of having him go stand at the 3 pt line and hope that one of his teammates eventually decides to give him the ball is stupid.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,607 Posts
Wow I totally disagree...the Kid is shooting 37% from 3 at the NBA level. At 6'7" he would have been pretty big for a college level SG.

Think of trying to translate NBA to NCAA. Chances are pretty good that his 3pt% would be a few % higher, say about 41%, maybe more. How much more Pt would he be getting? He would at no worst be the 2nd option, maybe the 1st on UW.

You flat out can't compare what Webster has done in the NBA as to what he would have done in the NCAA, simply because we don't know. Defense is different, offense is different, range is different, everything is different.

My guess is we would absolutely be considered a top 5, especially considering in predraft Mocks (before it was Obvious Portland was taking him) he was rated a top 10, and had shot lights out in the combine. Had he stayed he would have had carry over and have been mentioned alongside, Gay, Morrison, and Adridge, all year long.

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Schilly said:
Wow I totally disagree...the Kid is shooting 37% from 3 at the NBA level. At 6'7" he would have been pretty big for a college level SG.

Think of trying to translate NBA to NCAA. Chances are pretty good that his 3pt% would be a few % higher, say about 41%, maybe more. How much more Pt would he be getting? He would at no worst be the 2nd option, maybe the 1st on UW.

You flat out can't compare what Webster has done in the NBA as to what he would have done in the NCAA, simply because we don't know. Defense is different, offense is different, range is different, everything is different.

My guess is we would absolutely be considered a top 5, especially considering in predraft Mocks (before it was Obvious Portland was taking him) he was rated a top 10, and had shot lights out in the combine. Had he stayed he would have had carry over and have been mentioned alongside, Gay, Morrison, and Adridge, all year long.
I agree with the Schillmiester.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Put him in a Husky jersey and the Dawgs are still dancing at this point (probably should be anyway if Mike Jensen had a brain). He would've easily been their #1 option on offense - imagine if he'd been throwing up all the treys that Ryan Appleby was. There would've been no one in the PAC-10 capable of guarding a 6'7" shooting guard.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting.

One pretty clear flaw in the premise of my question was alluded to earlier: if he didn't kick *** as a freshman, he wouldn't have come out for the 2006 draft. And if he kicked *** as a freshman, he wouldn't slip to the 10th spot in the draft, probably.

Ed O.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
It is an interesting premise...

A lot of course would depend on how he played that 1 year in college....but If POR had the #3 pick and IF Webster had come in and put on the "show" that he did in front of Nash and company....

I wonder if that performance was enough to sway Nash, and outside of a "franchise" player it wouldn't of mattered what other players were there...

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
RipCity9 said:
Put him in a Husky jersey and the Dawgs are still dancing at this point (probably should be anyway if Mike Jensen had a brain). He would've easily been their #1 option on offense - imagine if he'd been throwing up all the treys that Ryan Appleby was. There would've been no one in the PAC-10 capable of guarding a 6'7" shooting guard.
The Dawgs would still be in the tourny if they would have fouled BEFORE UConn got a good look at a 3 pointer. A foul would have put them at the line = 2 points... not 3 to tie it up and force OT.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Webster is shooting consistently in spot minutes. How many young shooting guards in the NBA shoot poorer the longer they're left in the game? Not very many, I'd say. The general thinking is that the longer you're in the game, and the more shots you take, the more of a chance there is that you'll get hot.

Translate this down to college. Webster is playing in a below-average (at least for the majors) conference. He also has another tool at the college level that he doesn't yet have in the NBA: the ability to dribble-penetrate. Because he's a star, he also goes to the line a lot. And defense is an after thought.

And he's 6-7.

And his confidence is sky high.

Webster would be top 5 stuff, easy. This draft is that weak.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,460 Posts
Schilly said:

Good analysis. I agree with you, I think he'd be looking at top-five draft position.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
Minstrel said:
Good analysis. I agree with you, I think he'd be looking at top-five draft position.
I agree with Schilly too. I don't think you can compare how he's done in the NBA to how he would have done in college. Of course he might have struggled but as Ed O said he probably wouldn't have came out after his freshman year if he did.

·
Banned member
28,451 Posts
Draco said:
This draft is the weakest one in quite some time. Webster would have been top 5. Not sure if that makes it right that we took him at 3 last year.
especially since he was taken at 6...;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.