Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From TSN:

"Larry Hughes signed with Washington. Just what the Wizards needed -- another pseudo-point guard who is much more comfortable hoisting shots than running an offense. They have Chris Whitney and Tyronn Lue already, they drafted Juan Dixon and now they sign Hughes for three years and $15 million. Strange doings."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/columns/20020724/freeagentsigningperiodof.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems a touch harsh. 2 questions for Wiz fans.

Is this a bad signing if Hughes can not
a.) Play PG?
b.) Improve over past performance?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
I don't think Sean watched many games last year. He obviously missed out on the fact we needed athleticism and length at the PG spot.

Hate to say it but Whitney and Lue are not starters, and Dixon is a rookie. MJ hasn't said he is coming back yet either.

Hughes makes perfect sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
I smiled when I read Hughes signed with the Wiz.

Of the many GS games I saw last season, Hughes was the one who usually stunk it up big time. It normally goes like this: “…Hughes dribbles, he drives, he shoots… rebounded by…”

He has no J and not as good a finisher as you’d think. They tried to make him into a PG after they realized he couldn’t make it as a 2 or 3. Guess what? Hughes played the point in such a way that he was benched in favor of Arenas. You know, Arenas the rookie…. shooting guard.

I’d play Lue or Whitney ahead of Hughes anyday. At least I know what to expect from them. With Hughes, the only certainty is that he’ll miss a lot of shots.

Why’d anyone want a PG who was outplayed by Arenas? In fact, why’d anyone want a Warrior cast-off?? If he couldn’t help the worst team in the NBA, How’d he help your team?

I’m very intrigued with what MJ will do to Hughes. I smell bust, but I won’t bet against MJ.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,533 Posts
Larry Hughes is still very young and maybe a change of scenery will do him well. Anyone can see how talented this joker is. I think it is a very good signing for the Wiz. The sporting news is a baseball publication they just cover the other sports to sell the magazine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
Originally posted by LupinIV
I smiled when I read Hughes signed with the Wiz.

Of the many GS games I saw last season, Hughes was the one who usually stunk it up big time. It normally goes like this: “…Hughes dribbles, he drives, he shoots… rebounded by…”

He has no J and not as good a finisher as you’d think. They tried to make him into a PG after they realized he couldn’t make it as a 2 or 3. Guess what? Hughes played the point in such a way that he was benched in favor of Arenas. You know, Arenas the rookie…. shooting guard.

I’d play Lue or Whitney ahead of Hughes anyday. At least I know what to expect from them. With Hughes, the only certainty is that he’ll miss a lot of shots.

Why’d anyone want a PG who was outplayed by Arenas? In fact, why’d anyone want a Warrior cast-off?? If he couldn’t help the worst team in the NBA, How’d he help your team?

I’m very intrigued with what MJ will do to Hughes. I smell bust, but I won’t bet against MJ.
If you think he got outplayed by Arenas then you obviously have no idea what happened with him.

I will be the first one to say he was a poor outside shooter, but seriously who was he going to pass it to on the wings? JRich the rookie, or Antawn "I can't play SF" Jamison. His situation with the Wizards will be different and you can smile all you want, because I am smiling right along with you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Originally posted by BCH


If you think he got outplayed by Arenas then you obviously have no idea what happened with him.
What happened with him??

Did Hughes have an injury? Bust up with teammates? Refuse to fetch the coach coffee???

Or did he figure that losing his starting job to a rookie in the last yr of his contract is the smart way to go?

Enlighten us please.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,447 Posts
I like the signing of Hughes in GSW they have nothing in the form of an outside jump shooter ,Yes he's a struggling outside shooter but so would anybody who plays on a team with no Post presence, playing on the same floor with Rip and Jordan should make him a better player and a smarter player plus who was his coach Cowens,or Brian Winters come on those guys are terrible so is that franchise, Doug Collins will bring out the best in his game, his size,athleticism and speed as well as his ability to create will be assets to a team with 2 5-10 pg's, You say you'll play Lue or Whitney obviously you haven't been watching Wiz games, Whitney can't run an offense and is terrible defensively and Lue's a classic shot clock killer ala Travis Best ala Damon stoudamire guys who dribble and dribble until the shot clock gets low then forces a shot, Hughes is definetly an upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Larry Hughes was used at the PG spot because the Warriors had no one else to start at PG at the beginning of last season. Mookie Blaylock's skills had diminished greatly due to old age, and the fact that he'd rather go play golf than practice. However, as the season progressed, Hughes was seen as a flop at PG. So the Warriors decided to experiment with Gilbert Arenas. Arenas did suprisingly well and won rookie of the month in January or February if I remember correctly.

This isn't to say that Hughes is a bad player. He'd made a good starting shooting guard on any team in the league in need of one. Even during his dismall season last year, he posted up fairly decent #s and is easily capable of putting up 15 to 18 ppg, 5 reb, 5 assists, & 2 steals every night which is pretty good though in a back-up role, his attitude will ultimately make him suffer (perhaps MJ can be a good mentor to teach teamwork).

Saying that the Wizards made the wrong move in signing him is very premature. Although he won't get much minutes next season as he has in his career, everyone should look at the long run and not so much next season. It's already a given that Jordan will retire after next year. With that said, that opens up a spot for Juan Navarro, one of the better Euro PGs, to play in the season after this coming one. This leaves you with Navarro with Lue or Whitney backing up, and Hughes backing up Hamilton. With Hamilton continuing to develop under Jordan's guidence & Navarro seasoning in pro ball in Europe, the backcourt situation looks pretty good for the Wizards in the future.

If Hughes works on his jumpshot and defense, he'd open up his game. With Jordan, who happens to be the best offesive SG ever and one of the best defensive SGs ever, Hughes is in good hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Originally posted by jazzy1
Yes he's a struggling outside shooter but so would anybody who plays on a team with no Post presence
I don't understand. Why would everyone struggles with the outside shots without post presense? Eh, I don't seem to remember Chris Mullin or MJ ever played with post presence... They didn't struggle with their outside shots.

Hughes is always going to be Ason (no J) Kidd. With or without post presence around him.



Originally posted by jazzy1
You say you'll play Lue or Whitney obviously you haven't been watching Wiz games, Whitney can't run an offense and is terrible defensively and Lue's a classic shot clock killer ala Travis Best ala Damon stoudamire guys who dribble and dribble until the shot clock gets low then forces a shot, Hughes is definetly an upgrade.
Yes, I watched many Wiz games (I couldn't avoid them, they were on ALL the time). Yes, I know all the flaws of Lue and Whitney. Yes, I'd play them ahead of Hughes. No, I would never take any of them on my fantasy league them or otherwise.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top