Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how we missed this one. :whoknows:

King and his court

At some point this coming offseason the NBA needs to circulate a memo, one addressed specifically to the league's top executives that says when your phone rings in mid-February, and the caller ID flashes a 916 area code, send the call to voicemail. If you don't, you may find yourself trading your first-born child for a second-round draft pick in 2057.

Geoff Petrie is that damn good.

Like Edward Burns in the movie Confidence, Petrie can be disarming. With that Princeton smile and a natural eye for talent, the two-time NBA Executive of the Year has spent the last 11 years building the Sacramento Kings into one of the most talent rich teams in the league, and he's done it on the backs of what some define as questionable deals. Questionable, only in the sense that the team Sacramento is dealing with often winds up with less than what they surrendered.

This is all thanks to Petrie, who, when he's not looting another team's roster, is scouring the globe to find the next diamond in the rough. Because of the Kings success during Petrie's tenure, Sacramento often winds up with mid to late first-round picks, choices that are at best a crapshoot for most teams, yielding a Richard Jefferson for every Frederic Weiss lurking in the weeds. Petrie, however, has been masterful, turning his mid round picks into talent such as Stojakovic (drafted with the 14th pick in '96), Williamson (13th in '95) and Hedo Turkoglu (16th in '00) as well drafting players like Jason Williams (7th in '98) who was dealt to Memphis in exchange for Bibby.

So move over Jerry West. There's a new genius in town. Just be sure not to take his phone call.

·
Banned
4,016 Posts
Petrie is easily one of the best Gm's in the leauge. I think having him around the organization will keep the Kings a playoff bound team for quite some time.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'm just happy that the Maloofs extended Petrie's contract!! :clap:

·
Registered
521 Posts
AnDrOiDKing4 said:
He is a damn good GM, im thankful as a Kings fan we have the best GM in the NBA.
Most Definitely!! :king:

:banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Banned
8,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
maKINGSofgreatness said:
Yeah, I'm glad they extended Adleman too, soon to be the longest tenured coach in the league if Sloan follows through and retires.

Petrie gives Kings fans hope.
Pretty soon we'll have the longest tenured coach, longest time in playoffs, longest everything. To top that we just need a championship and we'll go down as one of the best teams in the NBA. :yes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts