Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new sportsline article on skiles and the bulls...

"I'm not some crazy guy all the time," Skiles said. "I know people make that assumption. I watched all the games, kept up with the league. I watched college games. I spent time with my family. For the first time since I was 5 years old, I was out of organized basketball. I tried to take advantage of it by resting and gaining perspective."

And he came back for this?

:laugh: :cry:

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/7065655

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
How long can he last? I mean this guy quit, QUIT, on a team playing nearly 600 ball in Phoenix. Someone with his competitive spirit wont last long under the current circumstance

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
How long can he last? I mean this guy quit, QUIT, on a team playing nearly 600 ball in Phoenix. Someone with his competitive spirit wont last long under the current circumstance
which is maybe why he's trying to change the current circumstance - you know, to teach these knuckleheads something about being competitive.

jason kidd did his thing to scott skiles same as he did it to byron scott. hmmm. maybe he just has a thing with the name scott!

:laugh:

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Originally posted by <b>mizenkay</b>!

jason kidd did his thing to scott skiles same as he did it to byron scott. hmmm. maybe he just has a thing with the name scott!

:laugh:
jkidd better not start nothin with me then.

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bump.

this thread is now dedicated to PC LoadLetter's avatar. i thought this was a pretty decent, if not somewhat depressing article. :| and is it just me, or is the bulls squad that showed up against the jazz the real thing - or a fluke. i think it's finally coming together, and like always, better LATE than never...c'mon bulls!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am glad to see the bulls putting a game together where they actually played for 4 quarters.

I would like to see the lineup of KH, JC, ER, TC and EC, pretty young but athletic, if they learn how to play team defense they could be pretty tough.

Let's hope for a strong finish, and with some great offseason preparation we could see a strong start for 2004-2005 season, yeah but I think we all said that last year.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
ususally, i'm right on board with your thoughts. Its sometimes like you know exactly what i'm thinking about, or you can change my mind right away.

But in this Skiles case, i have to jump off, because this seems different than Phoenix to me. There was a different dynamic in Phoenix. Mostly veterans. They were a succesful team, and at the end point Scott was searching for reasons why the team got in a long slump. Turns out he asked the players in public if he should be the one to go, if they thought he was holding them back.

In short, the Suns were all searching for answers, and Skiles made a public error, and the cardinal sin of self doubt in front of the troops and fans. After that, the confluence of events caused a chain reaction of negativity...a few more losses, tons more media/public pressure and questioning.

He didn't necessarily quit. The team and Scott made a mutual decision to part ways, under a barrage of negative resultant Karma. It seems like the lifespan of an NBA coach is about three seasons nowadays B4 most teams begin looking for another voice.
I don't blame him or the Suns. He's a young emotional guy (emphasize young), and i think he's learned his lesson about temperament and perspective and do's and don'ts.

But the biggest difference to me is that The Bulls are more his baby than the Suns were. And he seems sensative to the fact that they are very young, and they are not to be coached the same way. And Skiles himself seems like a different coach, and older wiser coach. And i can't believe he is working under any fantasy about turning this thing around overnight.

What heartens me about Skiles, is all the praise he gets around the league. I think he could be one of the survivors, if the emotional young guy can learn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts