Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this won't happen, due to salary cap issues and obvious character issues, but after reading Canzano's article, I started thinking about available 2 guards. There was mention of a comment made to Nash by another GM that all the Blazers needed now was consistent play from the 2 guard position. Would Spree, with maybe a one year deal under McMillian, be something to think about, or would it just ruin the idea of bringing our young guys along, letting them develop. I think Spree would bring the effort everynight, as long as he understood that he was not going to get a long term deal from the team for a lot of money. Bringing in Spree is probably something I would not do, but interesting to think about what he could bring to the team that we don't have right now at that position.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
To many possibilities for causing disruption on a young team which I believe is still fragile while it develops and comes into it's own.

Plus Spree needs 14mil + to feed his family. :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
4,497 Posts
I wouldn't mind signing him for the Veteran's Minimum...although we'd have to cut someone.....

:dead:

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Hey, while we're at it, let's bring back Qyntel! I hear he's available! He'll bring energy every night and can't be any worse than what we have right now, right? RIGHT!?!?

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
While it might make sense from a short term Bball perspective, it would be completely hypocritical from the PR side. Blazer management would be a front page laughingstock for the national media to clown for weeks. Any possibly contrived failure(s) by the club (ie anything short of a championship) would be referenced back to that move. So while Spree might be enough of an upgrade (at a position obviously needing one) to get this club into the playoffs, I can't see it happening.

btw... if it was my call and he could be had for a vet minimum, I'd probably look into it to see if he has anything left. Last year he stunk, but maybe he was less then 100% physically.

STOMP

·
Registered
568 Posts
Gunner said:
He'd choke! :dead: Though I would like to see him try that with NMac.

Shoot....forget tryin that with Nate.....

I'd like to see him try it with big Mo Lucas around....

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
No. Character counts. We don't need any more coach-choking, can't feed my kids on $10M/yr, ball-hogging 'former' players on this team.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
No no a thousand times no.
Want a list of reasons?
1. Management has said until they are blue in the face that at this time they are not looking to trade for a veteran player. This would not require a trade but someone would have to go so in reality it's the same thing. Later on, after Nate establishes who on the team can do what, the Blazers may look for a piece, a Buck Williams or Danny Ainge type, but it will not be Latrell Sprewell.
2. Do you think if Sprewell could still play that someone anyone wouldn't have picked him up?
3. He has a history of being a cancer and being disruptive to young players.
4. He has a long history of trouble with the law and with coaches, exactly what management does not want.
5. He would hinder the team from being able to develop Webster and/or see what Dixon can do.
6. He would be a PR nightmare.
7. He is not and never has been a winner.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
If it were up to me, I'd take him for the vet minimum and cut Smith or Blake. he's simply a better player.

Unfortunately, it'd be a PR disaster and so it just ain't going to happen.

Spree has put himself in a tough situation. He's not good enough to be worth the hassle to add to a contending team, and he's too unpalatable from a marketing perspective for bad teams like Atlanta and Portland.

Guess that's why he's still unemployed right now.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with what has been said, that management won't go for a PR nightmare, but it is interesting how the fans have really taken to Patterson, who really plays hard and hustles every night, something that Sprewell could also do for the team. BTW-I think someone said he wasn't a winner, but hasn't he been on teams who got to the conference championships and the NBA championships?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Blaze said:
I agree with what has been said, that management won't go for a PR nightmare, but it is interesting how the fans have really taken to Patterson, who really plays hard and hustles every night, something that Sprewell could also do for the team. BTW-I think someone said he wasn't a winner, but hasn't he been on teams who got to the conference championships and the NBA championships?
No. His Warrior, Knickerbocker, and Timberwolves teams did not win conference championship or NBA championships. Closest his teams got, was the Timberwolves of '03-04 getting to the WCF, but not winning.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Not quite, Red Hot & Rolling, the Knicks did get to the NBA finals, lost in 5 to the Spurs, but some guy named Patrick Ewing may have had a lot to do with it. When I say he's not a winner I mean a guy who takes a team to the next level. Sure, you could add him to the Spurs and they'd still win, but add him to a decent team won't make them a good one.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
the Knicks did get to the NBA finals, lost in 5 to the Spurs, but some guy named Patrick Ewing may have had a lot to do with it.
Do you mean:

a) Ewing is the reason they got to the Finals, or

b) Ewing is the reason they lost in 5 to the Spurs?

Ewing didn't have a whole lot to do with that playoff run, as I recall, being injured throughout most of the playoffs. Spree and Camby were the workhorses for that group, and Houson was in his prime, if I'm remembering right.

Dan

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
dkap said:
Do you mean:

a) Ewing is the reason they got to the Finals, or

b) Ewing is the reason they lost in 5 to the Spurs?

Ewing didn't have a whole lot to do with that playoff run, as I recall, being injured throughout most of the playoffs. Spree and Camby were the workhorses for that group, and Houson was in his prime, if I'm remembering right.
you are.

I've heard enough of his former coaches (Adelman, Don Nelson, Van Gundy) heep praise on Spree's work ethic and locker room contributions to question how valid the reputation he has is, nonetheless... stemming mainly from the PJ incident, that is the reputation.

I always find it weird when fans veamently act like they really know what a guy is like be it good or bad. It's fine that they might like/dislike a guy for whatever reason(s), but IMO it's silly to posture that they know how they are personally. Heck, I suspect that I'd find most of the players in the league to be intolerable on one to one basis. From my experience, most top jocks are... not people I'd like to know. I think many/most put on a different face in front of the camera then off, usually hiding what selfish entitled jerks they are in the real world. Too many times I've seen supposive good guys be exposed as anything but to buy into the next guys act. I suspect Spree is closer to the norm then the exception, but I really don't care if I ever find out. I just want to see some good hoop. At 35 years old, there is good reason to question whether Latrell has much game left in him.

STOMP

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
crandc said:
Not quite, Red Hot & Rolling, the Knicks did get to the NBA finals, lost in 5 to the Spurs, but some guy named Patrick Ewing may have had a lot to do with it. When I say he's not a winner I mean a guy who takes a team to the next level. Sure, you could add him to the Spurs and they'd still win, but add him to a decent team won't make them a good one.
You could say the same thing about Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, or many other "winners"

Horry had The Dream, Shaq Daddy, and Duncan

Kerr had Jordan and Duncan

Spree had Ewing and KG during his successful season.

I wouldn't consider Spree a "loser" or "not a winner", but I still don't want him in Portland.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As for other free agent 2 guards, after Sprewell, Hoopshype has Dajuan Wagner, Qyntel Woods, Wesley Person, and Rodney Buford. I would take Wes Person as long as it doesn't cost too much.

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
STOMP said:
you are.

I've heard enough of his former coaches (Adelman, Don Nelson, Van Gundy) heep praise on Spree's work ethic and locker room contributions to question how valid the reputation he has is, nonetheless... stemming mainly from the PJ incident, that is the reputation.

I always find it weird when fans veamently act like they really know what a guy is like be it good or bad. It's fine that they might like/dislike a guy for whatever reason(s), but IMO it's silly to posture that they know how they are personally. Heck, I suspect that I'd find most of the players in the league to be intolerable on one to one basis. From my experience, most top jocks are... not people I'd like to know. I think many/most put on a different face in front of the camera then off, usually hiding what selfish entitled jerks they are in the real world. Too many times I've seen supposive good guys be exposed as anything but to buy into the next guys act. I suspect Spree is closer to the norm then the exception, but I really don't care if I ever find out. I just want to see some good hoop. At 35 years old, there is good reason to question whether Latrell has much game left in him.

STOMP

You're right,

Being a good athlete comes hand in hand with being a jerk..... :rolleyes:

I have been around pro athletes a lot throughout my life and I think its the complete opposite....There's more good apples than bad apples...

Some might seem like it when annoyed and hounded to the point that they're irritated and lash out a little bit, which is perfectly human....But anyone no matter athlete or not would act that way in any kind of situation....

However that being said....

Bonzi Wells and Rasheed Wallace were not nice guys...

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Ahh... hell... naw.

Sorry, Spree. Your family can "starve" for all I care.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts