Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duncan workout offers hope

Spurs notebook: Duncan's workout offers hope
Web Posted: 04/08/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

DALLAS — After watching Tim Duncan work out Thursday morning at American Airlines Center, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich remains hopeful the two-time MVP will be able to play in the final three to five games of the regular season.

"It looks like that's possible," Popovich said. "We'll see how he does with a few more days of (workouts)."

Duncan, who has been sidelined since spraining his right ankle March 20, performed some defensive slide drills and worked on his lateral movement. He also ran in a circle to further test the ankle.

"It's a good step forward," Popovich said. "It's still painful, of course, but the pain tolerance is such that he's out there trying to work through it right now."

Popovich isn't as sure when, or if, Devin Brown will return.

Brown had his back examined by doctors Thursday, but Popovich had yet to learn the results of the visit.

Though Brown was feeling better after receiving his second steroid injection last week, his recovery has slowed.

If Brown isn't healthy by the start of the playoffs, Popovich isn't sure whether he will put him on the playoff roster. Teams cannot change their roster once the playoffs start.

"You can't afford to waste a spot obviously," Popovich said. "It's going to be a real tough decision. If we have him and he can't play for us the first couple of rounds, and we don't have a body there for that depth that could obviously hurt us. Because this isn't going to be any cakewalk."

Brown's condition appears to be worse than Duncan's. It will be a shame to if Devin can't play in the playoffs, because he's one of the guys who plays with heart and guts on this team, plus he's a talented player. It will be a blow not to have him for the playoff roster.

As for Duncan, it's good to see he's making progress, but like Pop said we're all going to have to wait and see how his ankle responds to the workouts.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
very good news wow. i hope he comes back five gm till regulare season wich is like in 2-3 gm left with out duncan yes. but on brown situation malik realy mest him up. i hope its not a carrer ending injury any word on that

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Devin was such a great player last year in the playoffs, especially against the Lakers. We need him there if we want to have another spark plug off the bench to throw at people. :(

·
Registered
287 Posts
Another notebook update: Tim will not play Tuesday against Portland. He had a good workout yesterday, but he does not have the lateral movement yet to play.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guth said:
Another notebook update: Tim will not play Tuesday against Portland. He had a good workout yesterday, but he does not have the lateral movement yet to play.

No big surprise to me.

I think the Memphis games are a realistic goal for Duncan's return, because those aren't double-headers either.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Guth said:
Good to hear. We will not need him much against the Blazers.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
i hope he gets healthy soon. I am rooting for him to knock the crap out of the suns this playoffs. I am tired of hearing about all the running. I want to see the defensive teams battle like normal.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
dang it. not so much that our team wil suffer but im tied of people saying he wont play in the playoffs and if he does he will not be near 100 percent. owell we will prove them wrong soon enough. the memphis gm is sat right

11,213 Posts
TheRoc5 said:
dang it. not so much that our team wil suffer but im tied of people saying he wont play in the playoffs and if he does he will not be near 100 percent. owell we will prove them wrong soon enough. the memphis gm is sat right
Well they're half rite. He will be back in time for the the playoffs but his ankle may actually never be 100%. Re-injuring his ankle like could have really worn out the ligaments. He probably won't start feeling towards 100% till sometimes next season, but his ankle will be that much weaker and he'll be more prone to injuries.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
ezealen said:
Well they're half rite. He will be back in time for the the playoffs but his ankle may actually never be 100%. Re-injuring his ankle like could have really worn out the ligaments. He probably won't start feeling towards 100% till sometimes next season, but his ankle will be that much weaker and he'll be more prone to injuries.
true but i doubt pop will put duncan out on the floor if he is not near 85 percent

11,213 Posts
TheRoc5 said:
true but i doubt pop will put duncan out on the floor if he is not near 85 percent
If I had to give an estimate I'd say he's around 75%/80%, but then again I'm not Duncan. Duncan should most likely be that healthy before the playoffs, and next season I think he'd be close to 90%, but then again, I'm not God :biggrin: .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts