Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes it? This came up in the game thread(about whether Marks or Mass makes it), but we have other issues such as DB making it or not, and such. I believe only 12 can make it, so we gotta narrow it down a bit, and pick the best 12.

Here's Mine:

G Tony Parker
G Manu Ginobili
G Brent Barry
G Beno Udrih
G Devin Brown
F Bruce Bowen
F Glenn Robinson
F Robert Horry
F Tim Duncan
C Rasho Nesterovic
C Nazr Mohammed
C Sean Marks
--------------------------
(Don't Make it)
F Tony Massenburg
G Mike Wilks
F Linton Johnson

·
Registered
287 Posts
As much as I love Sean Marks, I think Massengburg edges him out. Like I said in the game post, I think Massenburg's strength and defensive prescence gets him the nod but Marks really does deserve a roster spot. Not to say that Mass doesn't, but Marks has been with the team for so long without any action and now that he is getting time, he is playing well...I will be rooting for him.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree Massenburg is a better defender, and is stronger, but Marks always plays inspired whereas Massenburg play lackadasical sometimes, forgets to box out, and is not the offensive player Marks is. I think Marks deserves the spot over him, although Mass will probably get it because he has been here all year, and Marks has just recently started playing.

·
Registered
287 Posts
texan said:
although Mass will probably get it because he has been here all year, and Marks has just recently started playing.

I am not sure that will factor into the decision at all because, even though Massenberg has been on the team all season, Marks has been with the team, whether on the active roster or not, for 2 or 3 seasons now and knows the system, so familiarity won't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Looking over our roster like that, and I see that we have a great team. Kudos to the Spurs management! :clap:

I would also have to go with Massenburg instead of Marks. Marks has shown definite potential but I've seen him miss quite a few open jumpers. He also bobbles the ball too much down low and often finds himself getting blocked. For those reasons I would choose Massenburg.

I would really hate to have Devin Brown not make the playoff roster because of injury. He was our sparkplug against the Lakers last year, and the playoffs in general so he would be sorely missed.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ezealen said:
Pop said Devin probably won't be on the roster. Does that means he wouldn't get a ring? That'd be **** if he doesn't.

I know, but I'm holding out hope. Even if he is only back for the 2nd round or the WC Finals, I think he'd be more valuable than Mike Wilks or Linton Johnson. He is a sparkplug off the bench and gives us defense and shooting. Hopefully he gets to play, b/c he will increase our chances of winning a title.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
ezealen said:
Pop said Devin probably won't be on the roster. Does that means he wouldn't get a ring? That'd be **** if he doesn't.

Devin would still get a ring. Being off the playoff roster doesn't necessarily mean you're not part of the team anymore.

Playoff Roster:

1. Tony Parker
2. Beno Udrih
3. Manu Ginobili
4. Brent Barry
5. Bruce Bowen
6. Devin Brown
7. Glenn Robinson
8. Tim Duncan
9. Robert Horry
10. Rasho Nesterovic
11. Nazr Mohammed
12. Tony Massenburg

If Devin can't go, I'd replace him with Mike Wilks. We need big bodies for the playoffs, so T-Mass should make it. Sean Marks doesn't belong anywhere near the playoff roster. Glenn Robinson has to be included even if Devin is put on it, because he'd give us a lot more than what Wilks or Marks offer.

11,213 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
Sean Marks doesn't belong anywhere near the playoff roster.
Harsh words Koko. I on the other hand have been very impressed with Sean and I would be pretty p'd if he isn't on the roster.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess that Massenburg would be better for the playoffs, since he is bigger and more fouls on big guys like Amare and Shaq, but Marks has impressed me much more this season. Massenburg missed lay-ups, lets rebounds get away from him, and turns the ball over. However he is better defensively, and I guess that is what we need come playoff time.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Marks would be fine if he just didn't shoot the ball so damn much. He needs to understand his role, and look for his teammates before he chunks up jumpers. Supposedly he makes them in practice, but that doesn't really mean anything. I just personally think Marks is basically a weaker version of Robert Horry. Since we have Robert Horry on our team, I'd rather go with a tougher, more physical guy. But hey, don't get me wrong, Massenburg hasn't really done anything to merit a roster spot over Marks, but he's more of a banger and has that mean streak in him.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
1.duncan
2.parker
3.manu
4.barry
5.rasho
6. beno
7.bowen
8. horry
9.nazi
10.big dog
11.massanburg
12.brown
*note massanburg plays better deffense and has been playing with us since the opening gm and we need brown more in the west finals and finals any way so...

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
I posted this in a different thread, but it's very fitting here as well:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...MYSA040805.10D.BKNspurs.duncan.1b755bd70.html

Popovich isn't as sure when, or if, Devin Brown will return.

Brown had his back examined by doctors Thursday, but Popovich had yet to learn the results of the visit.

Though Brown was feeling better after receiving his second steroid injection last week, his recovery has slowed.

If Brown isn't healthy by the start of the playoffs, Popovich isn't sure whether he will put him on the playoff roster. Teams cannot change their roster once the playoffs start.

"You can't afford to waste a spot obviously," Popovich said. "It's going to be a real tough decision. If we have him and he can't play for us the first couple of rounds, and we don't have a body there for that depth that could obviously hurt us. Because this isn't going to be any cakewalk."

Not good news. Hopefully Devin's results from the doctor come back good, but it sounds as if he's probably not going to be on the playoff roster. That's a damn shame too.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well, sports fans, the playoff roster was finalized yesterday, I think, and there were really no major suprises...The only question, really, was whether or not Devin would be on it, but he is...Here it is:

G Brent Barry
G Devin Brown
G Manu Ginobili
G Tony Parker
G Beno Udrih
G/F Bruce Bowen
F Robert Horry
F Glenn Robinson
F/C Tim Duncan
F/C Tony Massenburg
C Nazr Mohammed
C Rasho Nesterovic

That leaves off Mike Wilks, Sean Marks, and Linton Johnson...there you have it, now lets play some ball...

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Guth said:
Well, sports fans, the playoff roster was finalized yesterday, I think, and there were really no major suprises...The only question, really, was whether or not Devin would be on it, but he is...Here it is:

G Brent Barry
G Devin Brown
G Manu Ginobili
G Tony Parker
G Beno Udrih
G/F Bruce Bowen
F Robert Horry
F Glenn Robinson
F/C Tim Duncan
F/C Tony Massenburg
C Nazr Mohammed
C Rasho Nesterovic

That leaves off Mike Wilks, Sean Marks, and Linton Johnson...there you have it, now lets play some ball...

No surprises there. And I agree, time to play some ball.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
No surprises there. And I agree, time to play some ball.
yep no more talk we need to play, im glad duncan has off and time to practise and time for rest his injury just these couple of days are going by real slow... i agree with the roster mybe marks will make it next yr.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Spurs add Brown, hope for best

Spurs add Brown, hope for best
Web Posted: 04/22/2005 12:00 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Devin Brown's season isn't over just yet. The Spurs included Brown on their playoff roster Thursday despite not knowing when, or if, he will be able to play.

Team officials debated whether to keep Brown inactive because he has yet to regain the strength in his right leg. He has not played since March 21 and likely will be sidelined at least for the start of the first-round series against Denver.

Brown's addition came at the expense of backup point guard Mike Wilks, who was left off the roster along with forwards Sean Marks and Linton Johnson III. Teams are not allowed to make roster changes for the duration of the playoffs.

Brown averaged 15 points and 5.9 rebounds in the eight games before a herniated disk in his lower back forced him onto the injured list. He also capably had defended some of the league's top perimeter scorers.

"Devin just makes our team better, if and when he's healthy," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

What the Spurs don't know is if or when Brown will be healthy enough to contribute. Though Brown received a pair of steroid injections, which alleviated the discomfort and inflammation, the disk injury caused him to lose much of the strength in his right leg.

Brown said the strength of his left leg tested at 300 on April12; his right leg just 65. In the week since, his right leg has improved to better than 250.

Brown's progress, while not quick, has been constant. He said he lacks explosiveness and tends to favor his right leg. But he also hopes to improve enough to play in a full-contact scrimmage within a week.

David Robinson had a similar disk injury during the 2001-02 playoffs where he lost the strength in his foot. He eventually returned, but his recovery, like that of Brown, was unpredictable enough that the team was unable to set a timetable for his return.

With Tim Duncan and Rasho Nesterovic limited by ankle sprains, Brent Barry recovering from a thigh bruise and Manu Ginobili needing any rest he can get, the Spurs are thankful they play only two games over nine days.

Nesterovic also might miss Sunday's opener. Sidelined the past six games with a sprained left ankle, he would have to show noticeable improvement in practice today and Saturday to be cleared to play.

Nazr Mohammed has played well in Nesterovic's absence, averaging 9.5 points, 11.7 rebounds and 2.8 blocks.

"I am a lot more comfortable," Mohammed said. "I still have a ways to go, but each game I got more and more used to the terminology and understood where I needed to be. I was reacting instead of thinking."

The Nuggets, meanwhile, decided against adding guard Voshon Lenard to their roster. Lenard, sidelined since tearing his left Achilles' tendon on opening night, received minutes in the final two regular-season games.

Backup forward Eduardo Najera hopes to play in the opener, despite fracturing his right hand Monday. Nuggets coach George Karl is unsure whether he will be ready.

Center Marcus Camby is expected to play Sunday after sitting out the final two games because of a strained right hamstring. In four games against the Spurs this season, he averaged 11.5 points, 10.8 rebounds and 3.8 blocks.

Since Karl became coach, the Nuggets are 28-4 with Camby in the lineup.

"I don't think we have beaten a tough team without Marcus," Karl said.

The Spurs had an equally difficult time when Duncan was sidelined. He returned for the final four games and played 20, 23, 28 and 23 minutes while shooting 43.6 percent.

Duncan admittedly has been tentative, at times, while testing his ankle. Still, coach Gregg Popovich doesn't plan to be as conservative with him Sunday.

"Come this weekend, it's playoff time," Popovich said. "He'll go whatever we need."

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
im glad to hear pop wont be worried about how many min. he gives duncan

11,213 Posts
Guth said:

G Brent Barry
G Devin Brown
G Manu Ginobili
G Tony Parker
G Beno Udrih
G/F Bruce Bowen
F Robert Horry
F Glenn Robinson
F/C Tim Duncan
F/C Tony Massenburg
C Nazr Mohammed
C Rasho Nesterovic

I really thought Sean Marks should have been on it. He's been playing some really good ball lately, but I guess his presents wouldn't have made that much of in impact. I'm suprised to see Devin on there. I hope that means his status is really improving.

·
Registered
256 Posts
as much as i enjoyed the way marks has been playing... devin only deserves to be on the roster, we wouldnt be where we're at without him

1 - 20 of 26 Posts