Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
115,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tim Duncan, who declared himself "a Spur for life" in March, reportedly has followed through on his intentions to remain in San Antonio.

The 36-year-old franchise cornerstone has agreed to a three-year contract to return to the Spurs, Yahoo! Sports reported Tuesday. The website reported the contract is expected to be worth approximately $36 million, or in the same range of the deal that Kevin Garnett agreed to with the Boston Celtics last week.

Duncan, a two-time MVP, averaged 15.4 points and 9.0 rebounds last season. The 15-year veteran, selected No. 1 overall by the Spurs in 1997, has career averages of 20.3 points and 11.3 rebounds in 1,111 games and has helped the Spurs win four NBA championships.

The Spurs also have agreed to deals with two of their key role players from last season, when San Antonio won an NBA-best 50 games.

Guard Danny Green, a restricted free agent, agreed to a three-year, $11.3 million contract (fully guaranteed), a source familiar with the negotiations told ESPNNewYork.com's Ian Begley, and forward Boris Diaw, an unrestricted free agent, agreed to a two-year, $9 million deal to return to San Antonio, a source confirmed to ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8...an-antonio-spurs-reportedly-agree-3-year-deal

·
Site Founder
15,518 Posts
Drop off/management desk/assistant coach position for third year.

But then again, I said the same for Fish, and look where he is now. :(

·
Premium Member
14,320 Posts
I love that Duncan and Garnett are still contributing to playoff teams right now... even if Garnett is a bitch.

I've been a fan of Tim Duncan since I first saw him play on tv when he was sophomore or junior at Wake Forest... he needs to keep playing so that I don't feel so old. Who knows... maybe guys like Duncan and Garnett will stick around ala Robert Parrish.

Duncan will be 39 when this contract is up, which makes comparisons to Moses Malone interesting (I'm just comparing age, not games, not ranking them, etc...)... Malone also averaged 15 and 9 in about 30 minutes as a 36 year old but only played sparingly from 37-39 and didn't contribute much (back surgery, I think).

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
wow i'm surprised the spurs paid duncan this much in the twilights of his career. talk about respect.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
wow i'm surprised the spurs paid duncan this much in the twilights of his career. talk about respect.
He's still one of the better centers in the league, and he can basically write his own ticket in San Antonio for the rest of his life. When you consider some of the other deals that have been thrown around, $12 million for a seven-foot defender with an offensive game isn't so crazy, especially when he doubles as the best player in your franchise's history and is bound to get some "respect money".

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
I don't know that more than a couple of big men were as good or better than Timmy last year. There just aren't that many of them who actually contribute on both ends at a high level.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
3 more years for $11.3 total?
Heck, that is a great deal for the Spurs!

And i'm glad for Duncan, who although once whored his ass to Orlando, will retire with the team he always played for.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
I don't know that more than a couple of big men were as good or better than Timmy last year. There just aren't that many of them who actually contribute on both ends at a high level.
Depends entirely on how you classify the bigs. Do you still separate them into PF/C distinctions? Do you classify all 6'9+/250+ guys as simply "bigs"? Do you classify all post guys as "bigs"? If you still separate them into their classic designations: do you classify Timmy D as a C, as he should be... or as a PF, which he insists upon.

The only way I would put him in the "top few" (not couple, he isn't top two) would be if you classify him as a classic C. Dwight, Bynum, Hibbert are all clearly better in my opinion. Noah and Chandler possibly. Although their limited offensive game coupled with Duncan showing in the playoffs that he's still there makes me waver on that. Bogut can't stay healthy long enough to be considered better. Al Horford can be put up on that level right now, I'd say. Obviously Duncan's top of the line playoff game is better, but what Horford gives you all season long is presently better, although he wasn't healthy last year either. Is Marc Gasol good enough on defense to surpass what Duncan gives you? Nene has his health issues. Is Cousins there yet?

I'm sure I missed somebody, but if you're going by classic definitions of positions, and throwing Duncan in as a 5 - then yes, he's up with the top few still. Definitely not top couple. If his wife confronts you about it, and demands you reclassify him as a 4 - then no, he's not up there. And he's definitely not up there if you go by modern definitions of a post big man vs perimeter big man.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Hibbert and Bynum are not clearly better than him. Did you watch the playoffs?

·
They'll be fine as long as they continue to stock the team with youth. I think Duncan will play all three years, then retire and possibly take a position in the office.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts