Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Luiz_Rodrigo said:
I never saw him playing, so I just hope that he´s a good player.
Same here.

I didn't think we needed another guard though. And what happened to Mike Wilks? :whoknows:

·
Registered
256 Posts
signed him only for manus injury?

i'm with lineoffire in thinking that spurs didnt need another guard....but i guess we'll have to see what he can do

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
glover is a nice bench player i jus hope nothing happens to wilks, i rely like him

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Wow, surprise to me.

Glover is one of those guys I was kind of surprised didn't stick around as a 10th man or so in the NBA. He improved his numbers every season I believe until his last one, then was out of the league last year and until now. For a 10 day contract, why not? It shouldn't hurt us under any circumstance.

From what I've seen of him he is probably most comparable to our own Devin Brown.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
With Ginobili still out, Spurs add Glover for guard depth

With Ginobili still out, Spurs add Glover for guard depth
Web Posted: 03/18/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Tim Duncan made his return Monday. Two nights later, it was Tony Parker's turn. Now nearing full strength, the Spurs expect to regain the services of their designated energizer tonight against Charlotte.

The Coyote, it appears, will be free to roam the SBC Center.

As for the team's other crowd-pleasing performer? Manu Ginobili likely will miss at least one more game. Ginobili's groin continues to improve, team officials said, but he isn't expected to play against the Bobcats. He has missed four games.

Ginobili had his most extensive workout Thursday since straining his groin March 8. He spent 45 minutes on the court and played one-on-one with the team's newest addition, shooting guard Dion Glover.

Glover, 24, signed a 10-day contract and will be eligible for the playoff roster should they keep him that long. After averaging 8.3 points and 3.1 rebounds in 287 NBA games over five years, Glover began this season with Ulker Istanbul in the Turkish Basketball League. He was released last month.

Glover became a part-time starter for Atlanta after being drafted 20th in 1999. He signed with Toronto midway through last season after the Hawks cut him.

The Spurs worked out a handful of players, including former draft pick Derrick Dial, before signing Glover. They also looked at bringing in a power forward to improve depth behind Tim Duncan and Robert Horry.

Though the Spurs continue to explore options, for now, Glover gives them another threat should they meet Phoenix, Seattle or Dallas in the playoffs and use a small lineup.

Point guard Mike Wilks, placed on the injured list to make room for Glover, also remains a candidate for the final opening on the playoff roster. Adding a bigger guard such as Glover, who has a thick 6-foot-5 frame, increases the Spurs' depth at the wing position — a necessity when they choose to go small.

In addition to Glover's size and athleticism, the Spurs were pleased to see he was motivated to remain in good shape the past month despite being without a team. He also shot well during his workout.

"And I hadn't always considered him much of a shot-maker," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

Sounds like they are excited about Glover. The article says he's only 24 years old, but that's wrong. According to his NBA profile he's 26 going on 27 in October. If Glover is as good as he was 2 years ago when he was last in the NBA and has added a jump shot, I'm sure he's not far off from Devin Brown.

Career line for Dion Glover:

21.1 MPG - 8.3 PPG - 3.1 RPG - 1.6 APG - 41 FG% - 32 3PT% - 76 FT%

This season for Devin Brown:

17.9 MPG - 6.9 PPG - 2.5 RPG - 1.3 APG - 42 FG% - 38 3PT% - 79 FT%

Pretty similar.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Sorry to dissapoint you, but Dion Glover had a really bad season in europe, he played for turkish team Ulker, didn't play along his teams expectations and got fired before the 2 phase of competition started

link

link to Glover's euroleague profile

Maybee the different game style in europe was the reason he played that bad... anyway people were wondering how in the world did he ever play as a NBA starter...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Don't you have to be on the team by March 1st before you are allowed to be on the playoff roster?

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I like him(as a 12th Man). I remember him as a Hawk. He was a decent shooter and slasher. Not starter material, but as a 12th man he's pretty good. There is no risk whatsoever in giving him a 10 day contract, so I think this was a good move, although I would rather a PF than a SG on our roster.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
I thought that was how it worked, but the article says that if Glover stays the full 10 days he'd be elgible for the playoffs. Then again, the article also said Glover was 24 years old, so I don't know.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
If he keeps up this play, not only do I want him to remain with the team for the rest of the season, I want him to be on the playoff roster. He wasn't overly flashy or a great offensive player, but his hustle and grit is needed on this team, and he would be an asset in the playoffs.

11,213 Posts
texan said:
If he keeps up this play, not only do I want him to remain with the team for the rest of the season, I want him to be on the playoff roster. He wasn't overly flashy or a great offensive player, but his hustle and grit is needed on this team, and he would be an asset in the playoffs.
I think we're getting ahead of ourselves here. Sure he played very well, but it was only one game. I think we should wait atleast one more game to decide if he's as good as he seems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts