Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have signed forward Glenn Robinson. Per club policy terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Robinson has averaged 20.8 points and 6.1 rebounds in his 679 game NBA career. The two-time All-Star spent the entire 2004-05 season on the injured list before being waived by New Orleans on 3/2/05. Robinson began the season with the Philadelphia 76ers before being dealt to the New Orleans on 2/24/05 in exchange for Jamal Mashburn and Rodney Rogers.

Please add the link next time. Since I knew where you got this link from, I got it for you. - Koko

LINK

·
Registered
427 Posts
Is he available for he playoffs? I thought that if you sign someone after the trade deadline they can't be on the playoff roster. Anyways, sign pick up for the Spurs definantly can't hurt.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not too positive about this move. He is out of shape, a cancer in the lockerroom, and plays 0 defense. hopefully Pop can straighten him out

·
Banned
662 Posts
Thats fricken Random.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Talk about unexpected. I really don't know what to say about it. They cut Dion Glover to sign Robinson, so it's not like anything was lost, even though I liked the way Glover played.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
Not sure when the 'Big Dog' will be available to play but I like the pick up by the Spurs.

Robinson has always been a very good stand still shooter with pretty good range.

He has proven over the course of his career, especially in the last few seasons, that he is not the type of player to take a team on his back and carry them to success but he can be a very valuable role player.

I like how he fits in with the Spurs. In their system a good shooter can flourish. Nice signing for San Antonio, especially considering I am sure they got him relatively cheaply.

Glenn Robinson:

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Anyone know what the deal is with this guy? Has he really been injured this year or was Philly just so disgusted with him they stashed him away on the DL? Philly fans know?

But yeah, pretty much like tdizzle was saying, this could be a low-risk high-reward situation. If he can't get up and down the floor faster than Rasho or can't knock down any shots, he'll get cut, and everyone will move on. If he plays like the Glenn Robinson of old, which I'm not expecting, the Spurs will look brilliant for taking a flyer on the guy,

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
Anyone know what the deal is with this guy? Has he really been injured this year or was Philly just so disgusted with him they stashed him away on the DL? Philly fans know?
OB don't play guys that won't D up. That's just the way he is. They gave the Big Og every chance in preseason, he wouldn't do it. So he went on the inactive list to rot. Ironically I forgot all about him when debating with someone about O'Brien a few weeks back, he claimed that Willie Green's position on the depth chart (behind K-2 and Iggy Pop) proved that OB doesn't play kids. I pointed out that other than McKie all the wing players in Philly were kids. I should have mentioned that the Big Og had been swallowed up by the Black Hole of Calcutta in the discussion.

·
Registered
342 Posts
First I knew it was a joke.
Second, not being hated by SA fans doesn't affect whether he is the player who has been the most hated by his own fans.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Unless Pop has magic ointment to force him to play defense, I don't understand this move. But we'll see how it pans out, maybe he just needs motivation from the right players and coaches?

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
To answer someone's previous question Glen Robinson CAN play in the post season for the Spurs. This is because he hasn't been on any teams active roster since after March 1st (which is the magical deadline for signing players who can play in the post season.. however this only applies to players that are still on someone's active roster after this date).

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
I don't understand this signing for the Spurs. Glenn has been out of shape and injured all season, he must have really recovered well for the Spurs to decide to pick him up. He is known as a lazy, selfish player that doesn't play defense. He doesn't seem like a Spurs type player at all unless the Spurs are convinced they can change him I don't see him as a good pick up.

Maybe he can finally get a ring with the Spurs after all these years in the league.

·
Registered
263 Posts
i'm sure that the spurs wont ask much from glenn if healthy enough to play. he missed so much playing time that it would be normal to be rusty and not hitting full potential as a spur and unfair to himself if he is already asked to contribute major minutes. if anything i could see him play maybe five mins a game to give rest to bowan and barry at the small forward position.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
I think he just wants that ring...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts