Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Duncan is already considered second to non among big men. He has had no major injuries, and certainly has not reached his prime yet. The same cannot be said for Shaq. He's being hampered by an arthretic toe (if any of you have grandparents ask them when it goes away), and has reached his prime in the 2000 season.

Cap room allows the Spurs to persue agents. Seeing that Parker has become a PG phenom, I don't see why they need a future All-Star backing up a All-Star. Center position should be addressed, and there are quite a number of elite bigs coming out of their contracts.

Ginobili is the future SG for SA. Nuff said. Steve Smith becomes mentor and backup during his remaining years in SA. He also comes at a steal for the SA, not having to shell out major bucks to get him.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've actually been saying for a couple of months now that the Spurs should be considered a legit title contender NEXT year. Everybody seems to think that it's between the Lakers and the Kings--not true.

I also have been puzzled for the past couple of months about this retarded Jason Kidd-to-San Antonio talk. It's pretty obvious that the Spurs will throw their money at a big man--either Michael Olowokandi or Brad Miller--to replace David Robinson. Not only does Robinson's retirement leave a big hole at a key position (and sorry, people, Tim Duncan will CONTINUE to be this team's starting PF, I know he plays a lot of his minutes at C, but that's not the point), but the team, like you point out, already has an incredibly inexpensive and GOOD starting point guard. Not to mention a GOOD backup point guard now in Speedy Claxton.

I will be surprised if the team re-signs Steve Smith after next season, though. I'd look for the team to sign Olowokandi and Jon Barry next summer, this team would be AWESOME then! Here's how the Spurs MIGHT look starting in 2003-04:

Starting lineup

PG Tony Parker (32 minutes/game)
SG Emmanuel Ginobili (32 minutes/game)
SF Bruce Bowen (28 minutes/game)
PF Tim Duncan (40 minutes/game)
C Michael Olowokandi (32 minutes/game)

Key reserves: Malik Rose (28 minutes/game), Jon Barry (20 minutes/game), Speedy Claxton (16 minutes/game), Danny Ferry (12 minutes/game)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throwing in Barry gives them 3 SG, 1 too many. Barry seemed happy filling for Stack in Detroit and I don't see why he wouldn't like to be a potential 6th man down in SA. Speedy can play both SG and PG if needed, considering Parker is the only PG.

The free cap room can address the SF and C position though the C needs a upgrade after Robinson leaves. Malik stays a solid backup for Duncan. Ferry fills in as backup SF.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
There are so many good teams, with so many stars each, saying this might look foolish a few years down the line.

-Petey

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Many NBA teams have improved a lot, the Spurs are definitely one of the biggest favorites next year, they have a young core around Duncan and they'll be up there in the West again, The Western conference will hold down the championship dominance for a long time to come

1 - 5 of 5 Posts