Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...YSA031605.4C.BKNspurs.notebook.1404fc5b2.html

The Spurs' coaches worked out free-agent guard Derrick Dial after Tuesday's practice.

Dial, 6-foot-4, was a second-round pick of the Spurs in the 1998 draft. After spending one season in Greece, he appeared in 41 games for the Spurs from 1999-2001. The team didn't re-sign him following the 2000-01 season.

Dial has since played briefly for Toronto, New Jersey and Orlando. He was most recently in Phoenix's training camp before being waived.

The Spurs have one opening on their roster they can choose to fill.

I remember him awhile back. He was pretty much like Mike Wilks this year back in 1999-2001 as far as the roster spot (12th man).

We do need another wing player while Manu is out, because Barry/Bowen/Brown are having to play a lot of minutes, and if one of them goes down we are pretty much screwed.

I guess this also means that Linton Johnson still isn't ready to play

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
ezealen said:
We have too many players as it is!
Exactly what I was thinking! How do we have a roster spot open?! Seems like we have more players than we can handle. :laugh:

I faintly remember seeing Derrick Dial play. I don't remember that he did anything too amazing though.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Here is our roster:

G Tony Parker
G Beno Udrih
G Mike Wilks
G Brent Barry
G Manu Ginobili
G/F Devin Brown
F Bruce Bowen
F Tim Duncan
F Robert Horry
F Tony Massenburg
C Rasho Nesterovic
C Nazr Mohammed
-------------------------
F Linton Johnson
C Sean Marks
Open Roster Spot

We have this spot, because we waived Romain Sato, and I think Jamison Brewer once he came over in the trade from New York. The original plan was to resign Sato, but I guess they are exploring other options. Dial isn't a bad 12th Man, and would normally be on the inactive list. However, if any of yall remember Charles Smith, I think he would be a better option. I don't know where he is in the league right now, or if we could sign him, but I'd rather have him than Derrick Dial.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I remember about Dial is that he was an athlete. He didn't have much of a shot, and he was a little undersized at the wing position. I'd be curious to see what he has improved since the time he was last here.

It seems like he's in training camp every year for a NBA team, but never makes and I don't hear about him until the next training camp.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just remember going to a Spurs vs. Wizards game a couple of years ago and it was the 1st or 2nd game that Dial got in. He had something like 14 points, with a 3 or 2, but what I remember is that the guy could jump out of the building. He had a couple of monster dunks, one of which was a putback that was one of the most disgusting Spurs dunks I had ever seen P.M (that is, Pre-Manu). He is an athlete that is for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts