1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
W- NOV. 9 BETHUNE-COOKMAN
W - Nov. 14 at Cornell
W - Nov. 17 at Canisius
W - Nov. 24 vs. Niagara (at Blue Cross Arena)
L - Nov. 28 at Ohio
L - DEC. 1 BUFFALO
W - DEC. 4 SIENA
W - Dec. 8 at Arkansas State
W - DEC. 15 CLEVELAND STATE
W - DEC. 19 CITADEL
L - Dec. 22 at NC State
W - DEC. 31 IONA
L - Jan. 5 at Colorado State

NONCON FORECAST: 9-4

A-10 FORECAST: 8-8

OVERALL PREDICTION: 17-12

The Bonnies start off with an easy win over Bethune-Cookman and begin to shake off the Andrew Nicholson flashbacks.

Cornell's great season a few years ago is becoming a distant dream. The team has been more defensive minded and cannot score all that well. Bonnies are better defensively and have more offensive weapons, taking their first road game of the season.

Canisius, where Jim Baron has set up shop as coach, is next. The traveling Bonnies hand their old coach a beating as he starts to rebuild a program that lost 25 games last year.

Niagara, frequently a thorn in Bona's side, has a dynamic young backcourt that includes the son of former Knicks Anthony Mason. Niagara is young at almost every position and lacks size, so the Bonnies have to attack them inside. A win at "home."

On the road again, the Bonnies fall to an experienced, high-scoring Ohio bunch that's the best in the MAC and a borderline top 35 team. This is a winnable game, but only if Bona slows it down and makes it a physical contest. Kloof will have to contain DJ Cooper.

Buffalo is a tough, physical and balanced team that usually finds a way to win 20 games. Javon McCrea is a beast down low. Siena, another upstate rival, has restocked with good guards and athletes. Even with Nicholson, Bona lost occasional home games to other nearby schools. I see a home split here.

If the Bonnies are as good as I think, however, they will grab both.

Arkansas State is not from, err, from the Empire State, but they knocked off Bona in Olean last season. This time Bona gets that game back by imposing themselves physically in a close-knit affair.

Cleveland State lost all its top players from a 22-win team. Gary Waters will get them back up to speed quickly, but not fast enough to beat Bona at home.

The Citadel lost 24 games last year and really has no business even being in Olean. A win.

Top 25 team NC State will take Bona quite seriously after last year's scare in New York, but the Pack is just too good. A win would be huge and signal NCAA possibilities, however.

Iona is young with only a handful of players left from last year's NCAA tournament team. A dangerous team, but Bona is too big and experienced.

Bonnies travel to Colorado State for their final noncon game. These cross-country flights usually don't end well for A-10 teams. CSU returns a talented backcourt that helped propel the school to its first NCAA bid in almost a decade.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I very much hope that we don't lose to Buffalo in the RC. I would rather lose to Cleveland St. or Siena. But 9-4 sounds spot on and I would be very happy with that. 8-8 in the conference will get us to Brooklyn and hopefully some post-season action. As optimistic as I am, I still feel very cautious. going 8-8 in the conference wont be easy, need to win at least 5 at home, hopefully 6. Thanks for the write up.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Very fair, WH. Like my Ninja Turtle compadre, I'd be really disappointed if we lost to Buffalo at home. Bona still has superior athletes at most positions (aside from McCrae). Also, that game at Canisius will be no walk in the park. Their little (and I mean little) gym is usually a morgue, but it gets rocking when a WNY rival comes to town. I'd be happy walking out of there with any win. If Bona can manage to go 10-3 during the OOC slate, I'll be very optimistic about their A-10 fortunes.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This Canisius team is hurting, BR, but then again, the Bonas have found a way to lose in their place even with a much better team.

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Canisius certainly stunk last season, but they had a number of transfers sitting out (Sosa, Asprilla, and Heath) who were supposed to save the previous coach's bacon. I'm not necessarily buying that level of quality, as none of the three have done much at the D-1 level, but their fans seem excited. Add those three to Billy Baron and that could be a tough early road game. I definitely expect the Bonnies to win, but have been stung too many times in that band box to get too big for my britches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts