Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Jaaron Simmons will take his first Official Visit this weekend to St. Bonaventure. (Matt Schwade, FlyerHoops.net twitter - August 28, 2012)

Here’s the background to Jaaron Simmons' visit to Olean today:

Two years ago, former Dayton Coach Brian Gregory make it clear that Jaaron Simmons was his top recruiting priority in the HS Class of 2013, and Gregory offered Simmons a basketball scholarship before his sophomore year of high school, in June 2010.

3-Star PG Jaaron Simmons (Rivals.com profile)

Banning Early Offer May Stretch Recruiting Process (Doug Harris, DDN - August 7, 2010)

Jaaron Simmons, who is coming off a breakout freshman basketball season at Alter High School, received his first scholarship offer this summer when the University of Dayton told the 5-foot-11 guard he had a full ride waiting for him.

UD coach Brian Gregory hasn’t dipped into the middle school ranks, but he’s offered scholarships to other high school freshmen besides Simmons.​

From June 2010 until April 2011, Jaaron Simmons could have secured a UD basketball scholarship by simply calling Gregory and accepting the offer. Jaaron made it clear early on that he wanted to become a Flyer, but he didn’t want to commit early, presumably because he enjoyed being recruited by a number of BCS-conference schools.

When Archie Miller succeeded Gregory in April 2011, Archie surprized everyone by pulling Jaaron Simmons’ scholarship offer.

Archie told Simmons that Dayton would continue to watch and recruit him, but it was obvious that Archie thought he could land a better point guard than Simmons in the HS Class of 2013, and Dayton began pursuing other point guard options.

UD Still Recruiting Alter’s Simmons (Doug Harris, DDN - September 13, 2011)

Point guard Jaaron Simmons, a junior at Alter, was offered a scholarship as a freshman by the previous coaching staff at Dayton. He hasn’t gotten an offer from the current coaches yet, but they’ve hosted him on unofficial visits and have a high interest in him.

The Flyers aren’t the only ones. Simmons said he’s also hearing from Wisconsin, Iowa, Oregon State, Alabama, DePaul, Cincinnati and Xavier, and he has scholarship offers from Kent State and Ohio U.

"I like Dayton a lot, especially with the new coaching staff," Simmon said. "I like the new style of play and what they’re trying to do with their team. It’s close to home — people can come see me play. The whole aspect of it, I love it all."

The 6-foot Simmons is in no hurry to make a decision.

"A couple months ago, I wanted to get it over with. It was getting overwhelming. But I’m happy I waited," he said.

"I’m going to wait for the bigger schools to come in and see where I fit in."

Simmons Has Huge Opportunity Over Next Couple of Weeks (Matt Schwade, FlyerHoops.net - April 16, 2012)

July a Big Month for Simmons Future (Matt Schwade, FlyerHoops.net - July 11, 2012)

Great commitment for Archie Miller & Co. !

It is no secret that Kyle Davis was Archie Miller’s top priority in the HS Class of 2013.

Kyle took only one Official Visit (Dayton) before making his decision. Kyle really wants to be a Flyer !

Kyle Davis Commits to Dayton (Matt Schwade, FlyerHoops.net - August 26, 2012)

4-Star PG Kyle Davis (Rivals.com Profile)

On Monday, August 27, the Dayton coaching staff informed Jaaron Simmons that they would not be offering him a scholarship and that they would not continue to recruit him.

Simmons then accepted his first Official Visit invitation:

Jaaron Simmons will take his first Official Visit this weekend to St. Bonaventure. (Matt Schwade, FlyerHoops.net twitter - August 28, 2012)

Jaaron Simmons (The Bonnies Bandwagon II Message Board thread - started August 28, 2012)

Kettering Alter's Simmons To Take Official Visit (E Hoops Ohio - August 29, 2012)

2013 PG Jaaron Simmons of Kettering Alter High School will be taking an Official Visit to St. Bonaventure University this weekend located in Olean, New York. St. Bonaventure is a member of the Atlantic 10 Conference.

Simmons looked to be a lock to stay home and attend the University of Dayton, but with the recent commitment of highly-touted point guard Kyle Davis to the Flyers, it is assumed Simmons will go elsewhere.​

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Info for Bonnies fans:

2011-12 Boys Basketball Standings (Greater Catholic League - updated March 19, 2012)

2011-12 Boys Basketball Statistics (Greater Catholic League - updated March 19, 2012)

Jaaron Simmons 2011-12 Statistics & Game Log (Greater Catholic League - updated March 19, 2012)

Archbishop Alter High School - Boys Basketball (alterhighschool.org)

Archbishop Alter High School (alterhighschool.org)

Archbishop Alter High School (Wikipedia)

Notable Alumni:

Jim Paxson, professional basketball player and general manager (NBA)

Alter Class of 1975 / University of Dayton Class of 1979

Jim Paxson is an American retired professional basketball player. A first round selection (12th overall) of the Portland Trail Blazers in the 1979 NBA Draft, Paxson played for the Portland and the Boston Celtics of the NBA from 1979-1990 and was twice an All-Star. Paxson served as General Manager of the Cleveland Cavaliers for six years and now works as a consultant with the Chicago Bulls where his brother John Paxson is an executive.​

John Paxson, professional basketball player and general manager (NBA)

Alter Class of 1979 / Notre Dame Class of 1983

John Paxson attended Archbishop Alter High School in Kettering, Ohio, following in the footsteps of his elder brother, Jim, who would go onto a star career at the University of Dayton, and, later, in the NBA, as a member of the Portland Trail Blazers. By his senior year, John was considered as one of the top guards in the country and was named to the 1979 McDonald's All-American Team.​

Best of luck to the Bonnies in landing Jaaron Simmons !

·
Registered
880 Posts
The Bonnies had two guys on campus last weekend (including my personal top prospect Matt Atewe) and have three on campus now. Nicholson is in town and the team got their A-10 Championship rings a couple nights ago. Hopefully the climate is right to pick up a verbal or two.

I like how you had this post all lined up but with Dayton bowing out, you were afarid you almost didn't get to use it. Thanks for the effort!

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Looks like St. Bonnie and UD will both be going after another Canadian. Atewe and Pierre have played together on the same AAU team I believe. Not sure if Atewe has lined up a visit to UD yet though. He would be a nice pick up for either school.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I'd like to see Simmons commit to SBU, but I'm even more intrigued by Jaylon Brown out of the Indianapolis area. Can Butler fans offer any insight into his game? Bona is a finalist for him, too, and I loved his film.

Matthew Atewe will be tough to get. While his unofficial went well last weekend (an official should come in September or October), Atewe is set to visit Kansas State on September 14. Memphis and Marquette have also offered.

It should be noted that Atewe has had a rough go of it in recent years. His mother passed away relatively recently and he had said he wanted to stay "close" to home. Unless he plays in the MAAC, you can't get much closer to Toronto than SBU playing D-1 ball. Hopefully the kid doesn't become too enamored with the "BCS" label.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Jaylon Brown would be a great pickup for you guys. UD was really scouting him hard also, we're just gonna have a hard time getting another PG to come at this point with Davis and Price.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wasn't Dayton also going after Scootchie? Is he still in play?

We seem to be crossing a lot of recruiting lately.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes. Yes.

Indeed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Muddy thanks for the links etc. on Simmons. Interesting stuff. Bona would be a good spot as Kloof would be a senior during Simmons frosh season. He would have a great opportunity for playing time early on.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
I like Simmons' game a lot. He's a typical, solid PG. He's not elite at anything, but can do everything well. His shooting got improved dramatically from his sophomore to junior year. He can score in bunches, and has been well schooled on how to lead an offense by the winningest coach in Ohio HS basketball history (Alter's offense makes SLU's look like the old Loyola Marymount teams).

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Jaaron Simmons committed to RPI # 192 Houston on March 31st.

·
Registered
198 Posts
He hath returned.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
He's baaaaaaaack! The guy lays low for about 2-3 weeks when he's made to look foolish and then returns as if it never happened.

Edit: Notice how the board will go into a downward spiral again now that he's back.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Muddy, not up on your current events? Denzel Gregg was signed this week.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
Perhaps now that he is signed with you guys, the Bonnies fans can find out if Gregg is still enrolled at St. Thomas More and whether he will be eligible to play this coming season. All I know is that he was enrolled at STM and then at some point he tool a "personal leave" from the school. I have no idea if he returned, nor do I know if he needed that scholastic year to be eligible to play in college. There was some debate as to whether he was there for a prep year or if he was still completing high school.

There was also a mention of an A10 rule that required players who were released from their NLI by another A10 school to sit out one year if they signed with a different A10 school.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts