Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tough loss I'm sure, but at least it looks like Pat Calathes continued his emergence. I never would have believed he would turn in to a legitimate player before the last half-dozen or so games.

Who hit the shot to force overtime?

·
Registered
768 Posts
Man could that one kid shoot. Not Stokes but the other guard, great lift and high arching trey's, flat out player. In the 2nd half he did a lil drive-and-dish. I thought they said he was only a sophomore and had already achieved a thousand points. Hawks played well against a good team, their lack of stops when they needed them did them in, IMO. End of a tremendous career for a couple of Hawk players.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't mean to be the sour grapes guy, but the Hofstra fans were freiken classless (just students I mean) walking back from the game they were marching around campus doing their cute lil Hofstra chants (of which they had 2)...they are a damn good team though...we played well, and they still beat us...officiating was bad, they got more calls in the first half, we got more in the 2nd, so it ballanced out...no excuses, but I sure was pissed at the way their students acted...it was Nova-esque :curse: ...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
TheHawkGoesMarchingIn said:
Don't mean to be the sour grapes guy, but the Hofstra fans were freiken classless (just students I mean) walking back from the game they were marching around campus doing their cute lil Hofstra chants (of which they had 2)...they are a damn good team though...we played well, and they still beat us...officiating was bad, they got more calls in the first half, we got more in the 2nd, so it ballanced out...no excuses, but I sure was pissed at the way their students acted...it was Nova-esque :curse: ...
Your are right. It is sour grapes. But they had an amazing cheerleader. Usually only guys lift cheerleaders over their heads. They had a girl do it. Boy, I was really impressed by the muscle tone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't mean to be the sour grapes guy, but the Hofstra fans were freiken classless (just students I mean) walking back from the game they were marching around campus doing their cute lil Hofstra chants (of which they had 2)
Oh no, not students chanting on your campus. What is this world coming to?!

This world "classless" gets thrown around without a thought these days. From the sounds of it what the Hofstra students did may have been annoying, it may have been irritating, but I would hardly call it classless. What was so bad about it, where they interrupting the St. Joe's students sleepy time?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
JoDete93 said:
Oh no, not students chanting on your campus. What is this world coming to?!

This world "classless" gets thrown around without a thought these days. From the sounds of it what the Hofstra students did may have been annoying, it may have been irritating, but I would hardly call it classless. What was so bad about it, where they interrupting the St. Joe's students sleepy time?
Hofstra fans came and supported their team well. I have no problem with it. I did find a few of their players classless but they can say the same thing about Jalloh who continues to show his immaturity. I think I will be saying the same thing about Jalloh in 2 years.

·
Registered
119 Posts
no excuses, but I sure was pissed at the way their students acted...it was Nova-esque

If they were cheering and chanting for their team, I'd call it "any school"-esque.

I'm positive St. Joe's students would chant "the hawk will never die" if the scenario were reversed.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
The strangest chant I heard - CAA, CAA, CAA. Truthfully, I can't see any A10 team yelling A10, A10, A10 when wacking a Big 6 team. Wierd.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Hofstra fans were obviously happy. It was the biggest postseason win in their history (they only have 2), and have a record of futility vs the Hawks that is now up to 2-24 all time.

Their players did do some taunting of the Hawks players and students at the buzzer. They obviously had a chip on their shoulders due to the NCAA snub. It is a little old to see the new trend of the shirt flap in the face of you opponent after the game. I think that is worse than fans chanting. There was a major incident in the recent Philly Catholic league final that was set off by a shirt taunt....

As Phil says, you have to learn how to both win and lose in college. This is new ground for Hofstra. The Hawks will see them again in MSG next season, and my guess is the taunting will still be fresh in their minds....

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
That was a funny looking team. Most of the Hofstra players looked like they had never touched a weight in their lives. Still, the guards were very good. One was a fabulous shooter, the other scored on some of the most difficult runners I've seen in awhile. Evidently, that's how this player (Stokes) normally scores. I'd take Carl Elliott and Mo Rice over that pair, but yes, they are a heckuva guard tandem.

I thought what killed Joe's, however, was their interior defense. They jumped out too much when the Hofstra guards drove and left their men open. And the Hofstra big guys converted almost every time. Better to make the guards take tough runners than to give up open layups. The Hawks missed the shotblocking of frosh Ahmad Nivins, who played a little but was ineffective owing to his severely sprained ankle.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
What an absolutely frustrating loss. It seemed the Hawks couldn't hold onto the ball. Hofstra looked good as advertised, but one should never lose to a school from Long Island.

·
Banned
3,992 Posts
PVP said:
The strangest chant I heard - CAA, CAA, CAA. Truthfully, I can't see any A10 team yelling A10, A10, A10 when wacking a Big 6 team. Wierd.
It happened in the ATL a couple of years back. Some drunken idiot got on one of the 3 or 4 story escalators on the outside concourse. It gave a perch above the large crowd of fans (many of whom were Texas fans who had just been defeated).

And this wild lunatic was yelling "SMELL THE GLOVE OF THE ATLANTIC 10 CHAMPIONS!" as loud as he could, over and over again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm very excited about next year. The Hawk sophomores took over the scoring since Feb 14th.

In the last 7 games Rob Ferguson has scored in double figures in 7 -7, Abdulai Jalloh 5 -7, and most surprisingly Pat Calathes 4 - 7 games.

Pat's points in the last 7 games:

17 March 4th
17 March 21st

Ave 10.7 points from a guy that only averaged 4.4 points for the entire season. He's much more relaxed, much more in control (compared to the first 1 1/2 years of his tenure), and willing to drive to the basket. Last year his was continually yanked minutes into the game for making unforced turnovers

Those three guys, a healthy Nivins, and three stud freshman guards are going to put the Hawks back in the hunt for an A-10 championship.

·
Registered
768 Posts
AH, you are on point. Is this the same kid? Calathes improved tremendously in the last quarter of the season. His shooting stroke doesn't really look any better but he seems to have straightened out that knuckleball he was shooting in the beginning. You could see it on his 3-point shot and esp. on his free throws, which he shoots at a high percentage. A couple of times he drove and hit a little pull-up that was especially exciting because he showed some aggressiveness. He needs to be a little tougher around the hoop by drawing some contact and getting to the line more, but I don't want to knit pick. With experience I'm sure he'll continue to progress, way to go Pat!!

·
Registered
517 Posts
You got to be kidding me. Right?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.