Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much to say about this game. I'm setting the over/under of UVM players in double figures at 5. Whatcha got?

Also, I assume we see Lamb play today.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not bad, but I don't know how to feel about Giddens on the offensive end... lots of other things that could be said Delony and Bailey looking good, but it's an exhibition... nice to see the full cast of characters

·
Registered
316 Posts
Patella should be a rotation guy, although minutes will be scarce. I’m not too worried about Giddens. Any offense from him is gravy. Deloney looked great pushing the pace albeit against much weaker competition than last week. I thought Beckett looked pretty poised for a freshman. There won’t be any available minutes so maybe he redshirts but he should be effective down the line.

Massive step up in 5 days so let’s hope for a good week of practice.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Same here, Deloney and Patella looked good, Giddens not good at the offensive end. Not good hands, you can’t teach that. Lamb looks 100%. Not much one way or the other from the rest of the team, other than Robin Duncan not bringing much to the table in my opinion. Will be interesting to see his playing time once Shungu returns and Deloney (hopefully) continues to progress.

·
Premium Member
32,315 Posts
I think everyone knows what we are going to have in Lamb, Stef, and Everett so it’s been nice to see two kids we really need to step up and be far more productive, Davis and Powell, play very well in both pre-season games. Hoping Patella becomes a rotation piece, he’s been good in both games.

Giddens projections seem to be all over the place, but fact is he doesn’t need to be anything more than a plus version of Dingba for this team to be really good.

Deloney looked good when I was watching.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Lots to work on from the tape here. Starters collectively lacked energy and flow, the second group came in and provided both. Davis looks like he’s taken a big step, doing a lot of things well. Agree with statements on Deloney, has some intangibles. Giddens for starters needs to keep the ball up high.

Yes, this is just one game and an exhibition at that, however if we want to win this Friday we will need to see a completely different product from our first group.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Lamb looked like someone who has been getting over an injury. Hopefully, he will have more going on at St. Bonaventure.

Davis really is playing well. He has a great touch around the basket. He and Deloney seem to have very good communication. Deloney penetrates, Davis sneaks under the basket, Deloney hits him with a slick pass and Davis makes the bunny. Very pretty basketball.

Patella has become one of my most favorite players. In addition to his high energy play he is a very skillful short range scorer and responsible defender. I think he will play more than we thought.

Hats off to St. Mikes. Down 30+ they played like it was a tie game.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Giddens not good at the offensive end. Not good hands, you can’t teach that.
At the start of last season Dingba had the same hands of steel but he did learn to catch and control the ball more with his finger tips and not try to crush the ball. Hopefully the coaching staff can help Giddens in the same way.

·
Registered
721 Posts
At the start of last season Dingba had the same hands of steel but he did learn to catch and control the ball more with his finger tips and not try to crush the ball. Hopefully the coaching staff can help Giddens in the same way.
We’ll see. I think he is going to help us no doubt, but it’s clear his bad hands are why he never lived up to his billing coming out of high school. Hard to teach that at this point in his career.

·
Premium Member
32,315 Posts
Lamb looked like someone who has been getting over an injury. Hopefully, he will have more going on at St. Bonaventure.
Lamb played 15min total, no real reason to play him anymore then that. Not like UVM needed Lamb, or any of the starters, to *really* play to win this game.

Against St. Bonaventure he'll be out there for 30min+, same with Stef most likely.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Who do we think redshirts now that they're done the exhibition games?

I think Beckett has to, he'll have virtually no minutes.

I hope the two walk on freshmen RS as well. Their parents may not want to pay for an extra year of school though!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Who do we think redshirts now that they're done the exhibition games?

I think Beckett has to, he'll have virtually no minutes.

I hope the two walk on freshmen RS as well. Their parents may not want to pay for an extra year of school though!
Unless the coaching staff thinks the walk-ons will be able to contribute in the future, they probably won’t redshirt. They may very well just be practice players, which is fine. I thought Garrison might have the talent to play some, but now it’s clear he is not a D1 player.

Agree on Beckett; he needs to thin down a bit and get stronger. But it looks like he could be a good role player with decent offensive skills.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Unless the coaching staff thinks the walk-ons will be able to contribute in the future, they probably won’t redshirt. They may very well just be practice players, which is fine. I thought Garrison might have the talent to play some, but now it’s clear he is not a D1 player.

Agree on Beckett; he needs to thin down a bit and get stronger. But it looks like he could be a good role player with decent offensive skills.
UVM will pull the old dress the player for every game and if he never plays apply for a redshirt year strategy I'm sure. The walk ons aren't getting red shirt years unless they volunteer for it. They're practice bodies.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Anyone know why Duncan Demuth wasn't dressed? I'd like to have him for the Bonnies. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but one of the coaches confirmed that Shungu would be available for Friday's game.

Agree with the other posters...Bailey is fun to watch. He still makes some bone-headed plays, but they are getting fewer and farther between. The diving, hustle plays have got to get the staff's attention. I have to believe that he's going to get rotation minutes.

Lamb looked rusty to me. I also really hope that he stops looking to the refs for bail out calls when he makes a turnover. He's better than that. He needs to lead by example.

Isiah seems to be quietly rounding into a solid contributor...finally.

How many more games do we allow before we stop saying Giddens is nervous and conclude that he's just not that good offensively? I get why he's starting, but...Ryan Davis!!!

Deloney is almost worth the price of admission all on his own. He's going to be such a treat to watch.

·
Registered
116 Posts
While I think Davis is the better overall player, he fits in really well with the second unit. If he's on the court with Lamb and Stef, he's not going to get as many shots.

When he's in there with Deloney, they seem to have great chemistry and play well together.

Like Bernie and the other guy kept saying last night, it's almost like we can do a hockey line up change and not have much drop off. Obviously we're better with Lamb on the floor, but watching Davis and company score every time down the floor was pretty great.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Never heard of him, is he the original Voelkel?
You could say that. Coppenrath and Sorrentine deserve 80% of the credit, but Gaines, Anderson and Scotty Jones were also program-changing guys who get forgotten by many since they weren't on the 2005 team. Both 600pt and near or over 600 rebounds in their careers. Anderson led the team in assists in 2003 when Sorrentine was out injured for the season.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts