Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You could say that. Coppenrath and Sorrentine deserve 80% of the credit, but Gaines, Anderson and Scotty Jones were also program-changing guys who get forgotten by many since they weren't on the 2005 team. Both 600pt and near or over 600 rebounds in their careers. Anderson led the team in assists in 2003 when Sorrentine was out injured for the season.
I'm pretty sure that Anderson also had a triple double...a feat Voelkel never did.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Agree with the other posters...Bailey is fun to watch. He still makes some bone-headed plays, but they are getting fewer and farther between. The diving, hustle plays have got to get the staff's attention. I have to believe that he's going to get rotation minutes.
Patella is like a version of Elbaum that I can tolerate. Probably because I'm confident he could actually make a basket.

How many more games do we allow before we stop saying Giddens is nervous and conclude that he's just not that good offensively? I get why he's starting, but...Ryan Davis!!!
People just didn't want to believe UVM got a taller Dingba. Some of us have been saying that since the beginning. They also didn't want to believe that a guy left two power schools because let's face it, he couldn't hack it there. It's okay. If he does the job he needs to do which is rim protection, rebounding, to guard Jaevin Cumberland and the like in the non-conference, and create problems for league teams looking to drive to the basket, he'll be fine. Maybe he steals a game feasting on a bad league team. His raw ability and size makes people overestimate what he actually is.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Patella is like a version of Elbaum that I can tolerate. Probably because I'm confident he could actually make a basket.

People just didn't want to believe UVM got a taller Dingba. Some of us have been saying that since the beginning. They also didn't want to believe that a guy left two power schools because let's face it, he couldn't hack it there. It's okay. If he does the job he needs to do which is rim protection, rebounding, to guard Jaevin Cumberland and the like in the non-conference, and create problems for league teams looking to drive to the basket, he'll be fine. Maybe he steals a game feasting on a bad league team. His raw ability and size makes people overestimate what he actually is.
I specifically remember UVM fans pitching an absolute fit at the mere suggestion that perhaps there is a reason he keeps moving. He is what he is at this point. Should do well as an intimidator down low.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Went to the game yesterday. Always hard to tell which guys are looking really good, and which guys are just owning a sub-par D-2. I've got a few minutes, so some quick thoughts based on this and the Brown game...

*Lamb: He's Lamb. You're not going to learn anything about him in 15 mins against St. Mike's you didn't know already.

*Ev. Duncan: Shot well, particularly against Brown. Again, not really expecting to see anything new from him, just hoping for the best version of what we know he can give us.

*Giddens: All power, no finesse. We definitely tried to get him a bunch of looks around the basket in both games, which is good because I think he needs the reps. Kinda wish we had two years with him, because all of a sudden he's getting the most game minutes he's gotten since HS. I was more bearish than most on him, but I do think he'll be better than I expected. But he's gotta soften up those hands, and keep the ball up away from defenders in the post.

*Smith: My takeaway from the Brown game was that he has a good understanding now that after Lamb he's The Guy. It's hard to quantify, but he looked like he was playing more like a leader thus far.

*Patella: Love this kid, never gets cheated. Glad he's stuck around, because after watching him yesterday he could probably be a helluva player in D-2 if he desired. Has a great head for the game, and is always trying to make those unquantifiable hustle plays (tapping out rebounds, hands in the passing lane, etc.). I don't necessarily think we should see more of him, but it's nice to know that he maxes out every minute the staff gives him.

*Shungu: DNP

*R. Duncan: Not an offensive force, but did the things he does well: passes, rebounds from the guard position, plays D. Not sure yet if he's progressed, but certainly hasn't regressed.

*Davis: Definitely looks more comfortable out there. Probably a healthy combination of the weight loss (visually apparent), maybe his foot healing (not visually apparent), and probably just the fact that real big guys come along slower than other positions at this level (see: Drew Urquhart). Again, yesterday was the kind of game he should be able to show out, but it'd be nice to get a full, healthy year from him and see him take a big step forward.

*Powell: My one assessment on him is that it looks like his decision-making has improved a lot. By that I mean shot selection and passing. When he takes the right shots (and as importantly, doesn't take the wrong shots), he's pretty effective. Being smart on the court is so important. We've had several guys over the years who played mostly because they knew how to be effective on the court, not because they were superior athletes. All part of the maturation process.

*Demuth: Bummer he didn't play yesterday. Not sure what his ailment was (could just be illness; heard that was Shungu's issue yesterday, not just his hamstring). We just don't know what we have with him yet, certainly not based on 12 mins against Brown. We'll just have to wait and see; no conclusions to be drawn yet.

*Deloney: Certainly looked more comfortable yesterday (to be expected, against inferior players). He certainly has speed (fastest guard UVM guard with the ball since...?), and his driving/passing seems to be ahead of his long-range shooting right now. Fortunately he's got shooters to pass to. Decision-making and staying within his role will be important.

*Beckett: Would have liked to see more of him. I do think if we got pressed into a multiple-injury situation with a shortened bench, he could find a way on to the court and contribute. But at this point, we're not going 11-12 deep, so redshirting seems like a solid play. It's a luxury. I think getting him in the weight room and doing conditioning will help him a lot. He's got some room to work there.

*Walk-Ons: They're good kids, and we're getting what we pay for.

·
Registered
398 Posts
After watching the SMC exhibition it became clear to that the UVM will still largely relay on a perimeter-oriented, guard-dominant offense. I think there was some excitement that with Giddens and an electric Lamb they'd run offense through the post. That does not appear to be the case. That said, Becker did say "I think we took way too many threes" during the post-game press conference.

Ryan Davis continues to surprise. His footwork is extremely improved and has such a nice touch. He's still a below-the-rim player but he looks like he'll be much more assertive offensively this season. Then again, I remember he putting up huge numbers during last year's pre-season Canada trip.

Lamb was the only disappointment for me. Nothing to do with his stats (I try to not even look at box scores from pre-season games). Rather, there was no indication during his 16 minutes of play that he will be sliding over to SF this year. He transformed his body (and I'm sure he improved his outside shooting too) over the summer, but every time he touched the ball on offense he immediately posted up (and likewise Giddens then looked lost, as if asking "What I am supposed to do then?"). As someone who was hoping he'd become more of a wing this season I found this very discouraging. Ryan Davis looks to be more ready to play SF than Lamb.

Patella and Powell are as electric as ever and provided the type of athleticism we were all hoping to see out of them when they were recruited. However, as fun as they were to watch, they never seemed to have a great handle on the ball and were likewise making use of their substantial length and athleticism advantages over the SMC defenders. For example, in that highlight reel play (R. Duncan or Patella steal, passed to a charging Powell, who then almost lost put kept it alive for R. Duncan who too the rock straight to the rim) both Robin and Powell were bobbling the ball and I worry when playing against longer, more athletic D1 teams this could lead to turnovers. It's the fast-paced offense we all love to say (especially after four years of punishingly-slow, albeit successful, TBH-led offense).

It's hard to tell how this team will do defensively against stronger competition. A few too many open looks from 3 for St Mike's than I would've liked. I also want to see how Davis progressed defensively. I remember last year he at time struggled to stay in front of athletic bigs. His struggles against Louisville and Steven Enoch come to mind.

Don't mean to be a buzz kill! There is just a lot that still concerns me for a team that I was expecting to go 14-1 or 13-2 in the OOC. This group has tremendous upside potential--I just hope that's realized sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,369 Posts
*Patella: Love this kid, never gets cheated. Glad he's stuck around, because after watching him yesterday he could probably be a helluva player in D-2 if he desired. Has a great head for the game, and is always trying to make those unquantifiable hustle plays (tapping out rebounds, hands in the passing lane, etc.). I don't necessarily think we should see more of him, but it's nice to know that he maxes out every minute the staff gives him.
Patella would definitely be an all-conference first team, POY type a la Chris Santo and Harrison Taggart at a school like St. Anselm's if he was in NE-10.

There's still a lot of talent in front of him and it's very competitive for minutes on this team as we all know, and he's still probably not in the top 10 players on our team, but he's looking like someone that can get into most mid-major and certainly league contests.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm not worried about Giddens hands yet. As someone else said, Dingba had similar issues early last year and came around. It might be a matter of getting used to when passes are coming and how hard they are coming. He's not going to be a superstar, but he'll be a solid contributor. He was also having 1 or 2 extra defenders heading to him whenever he touched the ball in the post, and ended up with 3 assists passing out of those double teams. That might be his most useful contribution against smaller opponents.

I think Stef is taking on a similar role to what Ernie Duncan did, but with his own twist to it.

Though it didn't fall, it looked to me like Robin's shot was much more fluid than it was last year.

The guard rotation is going to be interesting with Shungu back. Robin seems to be the one they have the most trust in handling the ball. Deloney seems to be the one that is most likely to be able to create for himself (or create for others by himself). I think Shungu is just all-around solid.

Lamb wasn't needed to be a dominant force in this game. He showed in the 2nd possession that he could be, then he was looking to facilitate and get others involved.

I liked what I saw from Powell. He had a couple chances to put up a three, but kept the ball moving. A nice change from last year.

Davis looked great. His shot was falling and he looked smooth and composed around the basket. I hope that translates against a more athletic opponent.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Lamb was the only disappointment for me. Nothing to do with his stats (I try to not even look at box scores from pre-season games). Rather, there was no indication during his 16 minutes of play that he will be sliding over to SF this year. He transformed his body (and I'm sure he improved his outside shooting too) over the summer, but every time he touched the ball on offense he immediately posted up (and likewise Giddens then looked lost, as if asking "What I am supposed to do then?"). As someone who was hoping he'd become more of a wing this season I found this very discouraging. Ryan Davis looks to be more ready to play SF than Lamb.
I said it in the UVM season thread but I'll say it here. Becker isn't going to just up and decide to play the reigning player of the year in a new position which might sacrifice his effectiveness and this team's ability to win ball games because it would help him at the next level. He doesn't have the luxury that John Calipari does. I'm sure he'll play some wing when the situation calls for it, but I think everyone here would agree you let Anthony Lamb play where he's going to help UVM win basketball games.

Don't mean to be a buzz kill! There is just a lot that still concerns me for a team that I was expecting to go 14-1 or 13-2 in the OOC. This group has tremendous upside potential--I just hope that's realized sooner rather than later.
You really gotta temper those expectations. This team is not THAT good. 4-6 losses in the non-conference is totally within the realm of possibility. Stop listening to some of those media dweebs like the radio guy who projecting their dreams onto others and not actually looking at reality.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Looks like St. Mikes is better than expected. They're 2-1 with their only loss coming to #12 St. Anselm.

Do you guys think that their new coach is using SMC as a stepping stone to get a DI job?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
Do you guys think that their new coach is using SMC as a stepping stone to get a DI job?
I think he's a guy in his mid-40s with D-1 experience who doesn't necessarily think SMC will be his only head coaching job.

It's hard to say if a coach is using a job as a stepping stone, because on some level it's not up to them. Especially if it's a job like SMC where it's hard to win. I think his chief concern is probably winning ballgames and getting some respect back on the SMC name. The rest will sort itself out.

I hope he gets it going. It'd be nice to see that program get back to where they're competitive.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts