Orlando vs Toronto: Orlando in 4.

New Orleans vs Boston: Boston in 4.

Detroit vs Indiana: Detroit in 4.

<b>2nd Round</b>

Orlando vs Miami: Orlando in 5.

Detroit vs Boston: Detroit in 7.

<b>3rd Round</b>

Detroit vs Orlando: Detroit in 6.

I realize I'm a homer, but Detroit has improved in the offseason, while the team that beat them got worse, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian
East:
1. New Jersey Nets
2. Indiana Pacers
3. Toronto Raptors
4. Detroit Pistons
5. Boston Celtics
6. Orlando Magic
7. Milwaukee bucks
8. Miami Heat

Playoffs:
New Jersey beats Miami
New Jersey beats Boston
Boston beats Detroit
Indiana beats New Jersey
Indiana beats Milwukee
Indiana beats Toronto
Toronto beats Orlando
DUDE! You are KILLING ME! You are the reigning KING OF COMEDY on this forum!

You're saying that the Hornets AREN'T GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS? What? That Philly isn't going to make the playoffs, either? Larry Brown and Paul Silas are the two best coaches in the Eastern Conference--those two teams ARE GOING TO MAKE THE DAMN PLAYOFFS!

And Toronto in the NBA Finals? DAMN! Take a look at Toronto, after Hakeem goes down with an injury (AGAIN) and Jerome Williams goes down with an injury (AGAIN):

PG Alvin Williams (not one of the top 15 starting PGs in the NBA)
SG Vince Carter (a STAR, no doubt about it, he'll have a big year)
SF Morris Peterson (not one of the top 15 starting SFs in NBA)
PF Antonio Davis (decent player, but a terrible contract)
C Eric Montross (ugh!)

Backups:

Lindsay Hunter (a terrible player, and he's their sixth man)
Michael Bradley (not ready to contribute, is he? He better be!)
Michael Stewart (ugh!)
Mamadou N'Dyaiae (great name, anyway!)
Chris Jefferies (ugh!)

Smell you later, fellers:

Keon Clark
Chris Childs
Dell Curry

BOTTOM LINE: Toronto has some MAJOR payroll problems and the WORST BENCH IN THE LEAGUE. Not to mention the WORST STARTING CENTER IN THE LEAGUE (Eric Montross! You've gotta be kidding me!). Not to mention a coach who stopped being able to reach NBA players at LEAST five years ago (Lenny needs to GO). This team is NOT going to make the PLAYOFFS! Which means it FOR SURE won't be going to the NBA Finals!

Here's a more realistic projected 2002-03 East standings:

1 Nets
2 Hornets (finally, a homecourt advantage)
3 Pistons
4 76ers (nice offseason tinkering to upgrade team defense)
5 Magic (assuming that Keon Clark signs sometime soon)
6 Pacers (assuming some improvement from some youngsters)
7 Wizards (assuming MJ stays healthy)
8 Celtics (the Vinny Baker trade will be a disaster)
---
9 Heat (will make the playoffs if MJ goes down again)
10 Raptors (see above)
11 Bucks
12 Hawks
13 Bulls
14 Knicks
15 Cavs

·
Registered
450 Posts
EAST:

Regular Season
1.Boston Celtics
2.Toronto Raptors
3.New Orleans Hornets
4.New Jersey Nets
5.Orlando Magic
6.Detroit Pistons
7.Milwaukee Bucks
8.Indiana Pacers
------------------------------------------------
9.Philadelphia 76ers
10.Miami Heat
11.Chicago Bulls
12.Washington Wizards
13.New York Knicks
14.Atlanta Hawks
15.Cleveland Cavs

Playoffs

Round 1:
Celtics vs. Pacers-Celtics in 4
Raptors vs. Bucks-Raptors in 5
Hornets vs. Pistons-Pistons in 5
Nets vs. Magic-Magic in 4

Round 2:
Celtics vs. Pistons-Celtics in 5
Raptors vs. Magic-Raptors in 7

Round 3:
Celtics vs. Raptors-Celtics in 7

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
I've remade the brackets after numerous moves have happened, and my thought process has changed a little since my last predictions.

1.) New Orleans Hornets
2.) New Jersey Nets
3.) Atlanta Hawks
4.) Detroit Pistons
5.) Philadelphia 76ers
6.) Boston Celtics
7.) Orlando Magic
8.) Toronto Raptors

Round 1:
Hornets over Raptors
Nets over Magic
Hawks over Celtics
Sixers over Pistons

Round 2:
Hornets over Sixers
Hawks over Nets

Round 3:
Hornets over Hawks

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by PhillyPhanatic
I've remade the brackets after numerous moves have happened, and my thought process has changed a little since my last predictions.

1.) New Orleans Hornets
2.) New Jersey Nets
3.) Atlanta Hawks
4.) Detroit Pistons
5.) Philadelphia 76ers
6.) Boston Celtics
7.) Orlando Magic
8.) Toronto Raptors

Round 1:
Hornets over Raptors
Nets over Magic
Hawks over Celtics
Sixers over Pistons

Round 2:
Hornets over Sixers
Hawks over Nets

Round 3:
Hornets over Hawks
The Hawks #3 in the East? PLEASE!

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
The Hawks #3?????????? Come on they get one player in Robinson and all of a sudden they're one of the best teams in the East. There is no way. They don't even have a SG unless you put Terry there and then you got either Vaughn or Dickau starting. Don't make me laugh please.

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
1. New Orleans Hornets
2. Orlando Magic
3. Detroit Pistons
4. Indiana Pacers
5. New Jersey Nets
6. New York Knicks
7. Miami Heat
8. Boston Celtics

missing the playoffs:

9. Philadelphia Sixers (just BARELY)
10. Atlanta Hawks
11. Toronto Raptors
12. Chicago Bulls
13. Milwaukee Bucks
14. Washington Wizards
15. Cleveland Cavs

1st Round:
Hornets beat Celtics in 5
Magic sweep Heat
Knicks upset Pistons (OH my... revival of a rivalry)
Pacers beat Nets in 5

2nd Round:
Pacers beat Hornets in 6
Magic beat Knicks in 7

Eastern Conference championship:
Magic beat Pacers in 6

NBA World Champions:
Kings beat Magic in 6. Go Kings!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Re: Standings and Playoffs in the East 2002-2003

Originally posted by robyg1974

DUDE! You are KILLING ME! You are the reigning KING OF COMEDY on this forum!

You're saying that the Hornets AREN'T GOING TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS? What? That Philly isn't going to make the playoffs, either? Larry Brown and Paul Silas are the two best coaches in the Eastern Conference--those two teams ARE GOING TO MAKE THE DAMN PLAYOFFS!

And Toronto in the NBA Finals? DAMN! Take a look at Toronto, after Hakeem goes down with an injury (AGAIN) and Jerome Williams goes down with an injury (AGAIN):

PG Alvin Williams (not one of the top 15 starting PGs in the NBA)
SG Vince Carter (a STAR, no doubt about it, he'll have a big year)
SF Morris Peterson (not one of the top 15 starting SFs in NBA)
PF Antonio Davis (decent player, but a terrible contract)
C Eric Montross (ugh!)

Backups:

Lindsay Hunter (a terrible player, and he's their sixth man)
Michael Bradley (not ready to contribute, is he? He better be!)
Michael Stewart (ugh!)
Mamadou N'Dyaiae (great name, anyway!)
Chris Jefferies (ugh!)

Smell you later, fellers:

Keon Clark
Chris Childs
Dell Curry

BOTTOM LINE: Toronto has some MAJOR payroll problems and the WORST BENCH IN THE LEAGUE. Not to mention the WORST STARTING CENTER IN THE LEAGUE (Eric Montross! You've gotta be kidding me!). Not to mention a coach who stopped being able to reach NBA players at LEAST five years ago (Lenny needs to GO). This team is NOT going to make the PLAYOFFS! Which means it FOR SURE won't be going to the NBA Finals!

Here's a more realistic projected 2002-03 East standings:

1 Nets
2 Hornets (finally, a homecourt advantage)
3 Pistons
4 76ers (nice offseason tinkering to upgrade team defense)
5 Magic (assuming that Keon Clark signs sometime soon)
6 Pacers (assuming some improvement from some youngsters)
7 Wizards (assuming MJ stays healthy)
8 Celtics (the Vinny Baker trade will be a disaster)
---
9 Heat (will make the playoffs if MJ goes down again)
10 Raptors (see above)
11 Bucks
12 Hawks
13 Bulls
14 Knicks
15 Cavs
Hey dip****, I had the Pacers going to the Finals. Also hilljack, just a personnal question but why do you say dude so much that really annoys me.

I see Mash going down and the Hornets not making it. You got to remeber last year, before Mash was healthy they were not in the playoff picture. If he gets injured, I have a feeling that tells me he will, they will not make the playoffs.

Larry Brown is a Phil Jackson type of coach and that is why he doesn't stay with a team for that long. He can coach talent but he can not develop it. Philly is in a jam. They are not going to make the playoffs this year, Brown will be fired, and the team will be scrapped. This happened with every other team he has been with. Like the Clippers and the Pacers. He is good at coaching but once people get old and younger guys come in he does not give the young guys playing time, and the old guys disentigrate and can no longer make the playoffs. Phil knows when to get out. Brown waits til it gets ugly.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by Malakian
Hey dip****, I had the Pacers going to the Finals. Also hilljack, just a personnal question but why do you say dude so much that really annoys me.
Dude! What's a hilljack?

I see Mash going down and the Hornets not making it. You got to remeber last year, before Mash was healthy they were not in the playoff picture. If he gets injured, I have a feeling that tells me he will, they will not make the playoffs.
Mashburn played in only 40 games last year, the Hornets had NO homecourt advantage in Charlotte, and Paul Silas STILL guided that team to the #4 spot in the East. SO, even if Mash plays in only 40 games again, the Hornets WILL have a homecourt advantage THIS year, PLUS both PJ Brown and Elden Campbell are in the last years of their contracts, which means that they have a LOT to play for next year, which means they'll have big years. PLUS, the team has added Courtney Alexander, who gives the team a nice slasher off the bench, and both Lee Nailon and Jamaal Magliore should continue to improve. The Hornets WILL make the playoffs--and, if Mashburn plays in a lot more than 40 ballgames, they'll be one of the 2-3 teams to beat in the East.

Larry Brown is a Phil Jackson type of coach and that is why he doesn't stay with a team for that long. He can coach talent but he can not develop it. Philly is in a jam. They are not going to make the playoffs this year, Brown will be fired, and the team will be scrapped. This happened with every other team he has been with. Like the Clippers and the Pacers. He is good at coaching but once people get old and younger guys come in he does not give the young guys playing time, and the old guys disentigrate and can no longer make the playoffs. Phil knows when to get out. Brown waits til it gets ugly.
Well, you're right about one thing, Larry Brown doesn't exactly excel at developing young players. It doesn't matter--Philly has a solid veteran team that CANNOT POSSIBLY have more injury problems NEXT year as it had this PAST season! Despite all the injuries, Larry Brown STILL guided that team to the #6 spot in the East--needless to say, they had a better record than both Toronto AND Indiana. DESPITE the injuries. PLUS, Greg Buckner is a much better defender than Matt Harpring, he's a nice pickup for Philly--PLUS, Derrick Coleman is in the last year of HIS contract, he ALWAYS puts up huge numbers when he's playing for a new contract. And Allen Iverson is ALWAYS at his best when his back is against the wall. Iverson will have a HUGE year next year. BOTTOM LINE: Predicting that a Larry Brown-coached team starring The Great Allen Iverson ISN'T going to even MAKE THE PLAYOFFS is, well, IDIOTIC.

ALSO: You STILL haven't explained to me how Toronto is going to make the Eastern Conference Finals next season. AGAIN, when Hakeem Olajuwon and Jerome Williams inevitably end up on the injured list, here's the team that Toronto is looking at:

Starting lineup:

PG Alvin Williams (pretty mediocre starting NBA PG)
SG Vince Carter (will have a huge year next year, I think)
SF Morris Peterson (decent young player)
PF Antonio Davis (decent starting PF, but obviously overpaid)
C Eric Montross (the worst starting center in the NBA)

Bench:

Lyndsay Hunter (this guy is AWFUL, and he's their sixth man)
Dell Curry (assuming he re-signs to the veteran minimum)
Michael Bradley (their best big guy coming off the bench)
Michael Stewart (terrible player, terrible contract)
Mamadou N'Dyaiae (give me a break)
Chris Jefferies (why do people think Fresno Staters are good?)

That is the WORST BENCH in the league! And that is the WORST CENTER situation in the league, too! That team is NOT going to make the playoffs, no matter WHAT kind of year Vince Carter has! And don't forget about the fact that Lenny Wilkens should've been out of the league FIVE YEARS AGO! He's out of touch!

AS FOR THE PACERS. That team has a lot of question marks. Will Jamaal Tinsley get better or regress? Will Jonathan Bender ever justify being traded for Antonio Davis and being selected #5 overall (ahead of significantly better players such as Wally Szczerbiak, Richard Hamilton, Andre Miller, Shawn Marion, and Jason Terry, to name a few)? Will Isiah Thomas ever learn how to coach? What to do about the logjam at small forward (Al Harrington, Ron Artest, Bender)? Who is this team's backup PG? And HOW IN THE HELL is this team going to be able to afford to re-sign ALL of the following dudes after next season (all of them are free agents in 2003): Reggie Miller, Jermaine O'Neal, Brad Miller, Ron Artest, Jonathan Bender, and Jeff Foster?

Sorry, dude. You're saying that the Pacers are INEXPLICABLY going to go from the #8 team in the East to the NBA Finals. And you're saying that the Raptors are going to go from the #7 team in the East to the Eastern Conference Finals. You guys need to understand that the only reason these two teams even MADE the PLAYOFFS at ALL last season was because a) the Heat got off to a GODAWFUL start, b) the Knicks collapsed after Jeff Van Gundy quit, c) MJ went down with his injury (the Wiz were playing some great ball shortly before that happened), and d) the Bucks TOTALLY collapsed. In other words, both Indiana AND Toronto are LUCKY that they even MADE THE PLAYOFFS AT ALL last season!

I used to think that the Pacers hype was ridiculous, that they wouldn't even make the playoffs at ALL next season. But I've since changed my tune. I think this team should be able to improve a LITTLE BIT next season--#6 in the East sounds about right to me. #1? That's RIDICULOUS.

I mean, DUDE!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Dude! What's a hilljack?

It's Hillbilly Bob's brother Jack.

Mashburn played in only 40 games last year, the Hornets had NO homecourt advantage in Charlotte, and Paul Silas STILL guided that team to the #4 spot in the East. SO, even if Mash plays in only 40 games again, the Hornets WILL have a homecourt advantage THIS year, PLUS both PJ Brown and Elden Campbell are in the last years of their contracts, which means that they have a LOT to play for next year, which means they'll have big years. PLUS, the team has added Courtney Alexander, who gives the team a nice slasher off the bench, and both Lee Nailon and Jamaal Magliore should continue to improve. The Hornets WILL make the playoffs--and, if Mashburn plays in a lot more than 40 ballgames, they'll be one of the 2-3 teams to beat in the East.

Okay put New Orleans at eight.

Well, you're right about one thing, Larry Brown doesn't exactly excel at developing young players. It doesn't matter--Philly has a solid veteran team that CANNOT POSSIBLY have more injury problems NEXT year as it had this PAST season! Despite all the injuries, Larry Brown STILL guided that team to the #6 spot in the East--needless to say, they had a better record than both Toronto AND Indiana. DESPITE the injuries. PLUS, Greg Buckner is a much better defender than Matt Harpring, he's a nice pickup for Philly--PLUS, Derrick Coleman is in the last year of HIS contract, he ALWAYS puts up huge numbers when he's playing for a new contract. And Allen Iverson is ALWAYS at his best when his back is against the wall. Iverson will have a HUGE year next year. BOTTOM LINE: Predicting that a Larry Brown-coached team starring The Great Allen Iverson ISN'T going to even MAKE THE PLAYOFFS is, well, IDIOTIC.

They have too much dead weight. Coleman will be off the books forever after next year and he knows it. Mutombo is not getting younger. He might break his back or something. Inexplicably, Brown did not groom Dalembert last year. Who is the second option? Eric Snow? Trust me. This team is toast.

ALSO: You STILL haven't explained to me how Toronto is going to make the Eastern Conference Finals next season. AGAIN, when Hakeem Olajuwon and Jerome Williams inevitably end up on the injured list, here's the team that Toronto is looking at:

Starting lineup:

PG Alvin Williams (pretty mediocre starting NBA PG)
SG Vince Carter (will have a huge year next year, I think)
SF Morris Peterson (decent young player)
PF Antonio Davis (decent starting PF, but obviously overpaid)
C Eric Montross (the worst starting center in the NBA)

Bench:

Lyndsay Hunter (this guy is AWFUL, and he's their sixth man)
Dell Curry (assuming he re-signs to the veteran minimum)
Michael Bradley (their best big guy coming off the bench)
Michael Stewart (terrible player, terrible contract)
Mamadou N'Dyaiae (give me a break)
Chris Jefferies (why do people think Fresno Staters are good?)

That is the WORST BENCH in the league! And that is the WORST CENTER situation in the league, too! That team is NOT going to make the playoffs, no matter WHAT kind of year Vince Carter has! And don't forget about the fact that Lenny Wilkens should've been out of the league FIVE YEARS AGO! He's out of touch!

I think that they will resign Keon Clark. Last year, they had people getting injured left and right. Carter has something to prove this season.

AS FOR THE PACERS. That team has a lot of question marks. Will Jamaal Tinsley get better or regress?Have you even seen the shape he is in. He has worked out all summer with Al Harrington. Him and Harrington are tanks. He will not run into a wall this year because he will be in good enough shape. Will Jonathan Bender ever justify being traded for Antonio Davis and being selected #5 overall (ahead of significantly better players such as Wally Szczerbiak, Richard Hamilton, Andre Miller, Shawn Marion, and Jason Terry, to name a few)? Bender will have a breakout season. Will Isiah Thomas ever learn how to coach?I don't think you can name too many rookie coaches that have developed talent while getting into the playoffs at the same time. What to do about the logjam at small forward (Al Harrington, Ron Artest, Bender)? Artest can play 2. Bender can play 2. Harrington can play 4. You could have a lineup on the floor of Tinsley, Artest, Bender, Harrington, and O'Neal. Who is this team's backup PG?Maybe Kevin Ollie. Donny is working on it. And HOW IN THE HELL is this team going to be able to afford to re-sign ALL of the following dudes after next season (all of them are free agents in 2003): Reggie Miller, Jermaine O'Neal, Brad Miller, Ron Artest, Jonathan Bender, and Jeff Foster?Artest can play 2. Bender can play 2. Harrington can play 4. You could have a lineup on the floor of Tinsley, Artest, Bender, Harrington, and O'Neal. And HOW IN THE HELL is this team going to be able to afford to re-sign ALL of the following dudes after next season (all of them are free agents in 2003): Reggie Miller, Jermaine O'Neal, Brad Miller, Ron Artest, Jonathan Bender, and Jeff Foster?

In 2003 Reggie, Jermaine, and Brad will be FA. Reggie will either retire or take a significant pay cut, which will free up cap space. Jermaine will be signed to the max. Brad will get around 8 or 9. You don't relize there is a soft cap. They can go over as far as tey want as long as they are resigning their own. They could give each and every one of them a max contract. They would be punished by the luxury tax, but that is the only thing that would happen. bottom line- They will all either be resigned or traded. Donny doesn't let significant players walk.

Sorry, dude. You're saying that the Pacers are INEXPLICABLY going to go from the #8 team in the East to the NBA Finals. And you're saying that the Raptors are going to go from the #7 team in the East to the Eastern Conference Finals. You guys need to understand that the only reason these two teams even MADE the PLAYOFFS at ALL last season was because a) the Heat got off to a GODAWFUL start, b) the Knicks collapsed after Jeff Van Gundy quit, c) MJ went down with his injury (the Wiz were playing some great ball shortly before that happened), and d) the Bucks TOTALLY collapsed. In other words, both Indiana AND Toronto are LUCKY that they even MADE THE PLAYOFFS AT ALL last season!Pacers took the Nets to double OT game 5. That means very valuable experience for the young guys. Raptors will not have as many injuries. Each will improve. What did they say about the Nets last year? Believe me. It can be done.

I used to think that the Pacers hype was ridiculous, that they wouldn't even make the playoffs at ALL next season. But I've since changed my tune. I think this team should be able to improve a LITTLE BIT next season--#6 in the East sounds about right to me. #1? That's RIDICULOUS.
Yeah, why did you add numbers to your name? I saw that ridiculous post where you said just because your standings said so, the Pacers would not make the playoffs. They will be top 2 and will no longer be scared of the playoffs. Plus, they have lots of talent that has not even reached its potential by a long shot. So if not this year, it will be next year. It is just a matter of time.

I mean, (Hair on an elephants ***)!

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
Originally posted by robyg1974
The Hawks #3 in the East? PLEASE!
If someone said last year for 2001-2002 predictions that the Nets would go to the Finals, and Boston and Detroit would also be the top seeds in the playoffs, that'd be looked at as crazy now.

The East has no true dominate team, so don't have a problem with Atlanta making that kind of jump especially with the addition of Glenn Robinson, cause with his addition they now have a legit scorer on the team.

-Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
There's no reason Indiana can't win the east next season. They started out great, finished great and faultered in the middle. Just remember Indiana won their final 5 games and took the Nets to 5 games in the playoffs. Harrington will be back at 100%, Tinsleys slimmed down, Benders bulked up, Artest is still the man when it comes to defense in the NBA, and Jermaine O'Neal is still p-ssed off about the playoffs.
Also there's no reason why Atlanta can't make the playoffs and I gotta go so i cant say why.
ill respond later

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
1. Nets
2. Hornets
3. Celtics
4. Hawks
5. Magic
6. Pacers
7. 76ers
8. Raptors