Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When these 2 guards arrived on the NBA scene out of the `96 draft, everyone was envisioning a head-to-head rivalry comparable to that of Magic vs. Bird to carry the league and pleasure the fans through the next decade.

Since then, it's been a one-sided domination by Allen Iverson. It's quite clear to everyone who has had the biggest impact on the league and on his team: AI took the 76ers to the FINALS, won the league MVP, 2 AS MVP's, and I lost count of how many scoring titles he won. He's also defied his critics and has continued to improve his game under then former head coach, Larry Brown. He's done all this while his so-called counter part, Stephon Marbury has been bounced around from team to team like a journyman utility player, not the AS pt guard he was drafted to be, and he's now struggling with his game under Larry Brown in NY. In his most recent games this year, he scored 10pts in one game and only 4pts in another.

I know I am biased but I am disappointed that Starbury hasn't kept up his end of the bargain in delivering the fans his exceptional bball talent on the court.

Thanks Starbury for cheating the fans out of what could have been a superstar rivalry with AI. It looks like we're one superstar short.

Starbury has left us with nothing but questions and only one answer, that AI has WON this battle hands down!

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Wait, let me get this straight; you're getting mad at Marbury for not being as good as you want him to be?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not mad, I just don't think he or his game lived up to all the hype. :boohoo:

·
Registered
768 Posts
alleninsf said:
I'm not mad, I just don't think he or his game lived up to all the hype. :boohoo:
I'm pretty sure no one ever expected this to be Magic vs. Bird. They both were very good college players, but not dominant the way Magic and Bird were. Bird carried Indiana State all the way to the title and Magic won it the same year with Michigan St. Marbury had one very good season at Georgia Tech, A.I. had two had Georgetown but never came close to a title. In terms of bust, I don't think you can call Marbury a bust, b/c he's still very productive. A bust is Sam Bowie, Michael Olowakandi, Darko (too young to tell still), Shawn Bradley, Kwame Brown (still has time), and so on. Marbury is hardly a bust, and neither have really been on dominant teams in the NBA except for the Sixers title run. Part of the excitement about Bird v. Magic was that they played on championship teams, these two don't.

·
Wrong About Everything
13,525 Posts
alleninsf said:
When these 2 guards arrived on the NBA scene out of the `96 draft, everyone was envisioning a head-to-head rivalry comparable to that of Magic vs. Bird to carry the league and pleasure the fans through the next decade.

Since then, it's been a one-sided domination by Allen Iverson. It's quite clear to everyone who has had the biggest impact on the league and on his team: AI took the 76ers to the FINALS, won the league MVP, 2 AS MVP's, and I lost count of how many scoring titles he won. He's also defied his critics and has continued to improve his game under then former head coach, Larry Brown. He's done all this while his so-called counter part, Stephon Marbury has been bounced around from team to team like a journyman utility player, not the AS pt guard he was drafted to be, and he's now struggling with his game under Larry Brown in NY. In his most recent games this year, he scored 10pts in one game and only 4pts in another.

I know I am biased but I am disappointed that Starbury hasn't kept up his end of the bargain in delivering the fans his exceptional bball talent on the court.

Thanks Starbury for cheating the fans out of what could have been a superstar rivalry with AI. It looks like we're one superstar short.

Starbury has left us with nothing but questions and only one answer, that AI has WON this battle hands down!
This posty is almost shameful. You're talking about one of the greatest players in NBA history. Stephon Marbury has had a great(not good, great) career, and to be dissapointed in him is an insult. When YOU have a career that matches up to AI's then you can talk.

·
Registered
768 Posts
sliccat said:
This posty is almost shameful. You're talking about one of the greatest players in NBA history. Stephon Marbury has had a great(not good, great) career, and to be dissapointed in him is an insult. When YOU have a career that matches up to AI's then you can talk.
Theres no doubt that Marbury is one top players in todays game. But one of the best in the history of the NBA? I think your using the term "great" a little loosely. He struggles to get his team into the playoffs every year and has never really carried his team through the playoffs. His stats speak for themself but they've never really materialized to anything special. I think your a little safer going with one of the better players in this generation. Either way, I think we both agree that who ever started this thread is way off.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Mattjb34 said:
Theres no doubt that Marbury is one top players in todays game. But one of the best in the history of the NBA? I think your using the term "great" a little loosely. He struggles to get his team into the playoffs every year and has never really carried his team through the playoffs. His stats speak for themself but they've never really materialized to anything special. I think your a little safer going with one of the better players in this generation. Either way, I think we both agree that who ever started this thread is way off.

Great players win playoff games.

·
Registered
212 Posts
i'm not a fan of marbury's game but i've never seen a player get as much hate as him for no reason at all.

he hasn't been in any good situations, and the one time he was in a decent situation (Phoenix) he got them to the playoffs and hit some pretty clutch buckets.

Marbury's not even that much of a cancer...i'm pretty sure career wise he has more APG and a higher FG% than Allen. If we call him a cancer we have to call AI one too.

Marb's a fantastic player, and still young and his body certainly will hold up longer than Iverson's. i'm gonna give him another 5-6 years before I really can place him.

Of course he's not going to live up to AI, though. AI's a once in a life time player, one-time-a-draft player. He's clearly the best from 96 and that was a deep draft. I wouldn't be disappointed in Marbs for not living up to AI. AI's in an elite class with some of the greatest whoever played this game. Marbs is in an elite class for the generation.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The Effin One said:
i'm not a fan of marbury's game but i've never seen a player get as much hate as him for no reason at all.

he hasn't been in any good situations, and the one time he was in a decent situation (Phoenix) he got them to the playoffs and hit some pretty clutch buckets.

Marbury's not even that much of a cancer...i'm pretty sure career wise he has more APG and a higher FG% than Allen. If we call him a cancer we have to call AI one too.

Marb's a fantastic player, and still young and his body certainly will hold up longer than Iverson's. i'm gonna give him another 5-6 years before I really can place him.

Of course he's not going to live up to AI, though. AI's a once in a life time player, one-time-a-draft player. He's clearly the best from 96 and that was a deep draft. I wouldn't be disappointed in Marbs for not living up to AI. AI's in an elite class with some of the greatest whoever played this game. Marbs is in an elite class for the generation.
First of all, no one hates Marbury. I enjoy watching him play, he's a very entertaining scorer and player. He's subject to the criticism b/c his game doesn't produce results. The one decent team he played on was the Suns (I exclude the early years in Minnesota b/c Garnett wasn't fully the beast he is now) with Amare, Marion, and I believe Jim Jackson. That was a very good team that made the playoffs but was bounced in the 2nd round, I believe. That same team exceled the next year under Steve Nash, winning numerous more teams and advancing farther in the playoffs until they lost to the eventual champions. Marbury has never carried a team to the playoffs the way that great players do, that is why it's hard for me to consider him a great player. There are many point guards that do more for their teams, which should be ranked higher than Marbury. Once again, this is not hate, I like Marbury but these are facts. Marbury is a very good player that is still young (26, I think) and still has time to improve, I hope it works out in NY. Hopefully he'll listen to LB, it should make him better, I see no reason why he shouldn't be just as good as Chauncey (he's a better athlete, better scorer, prob. not as clutch tho), I think it's all in his head.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Statsically Allen Iverson's the better player, when it really came down to it, Ai was clutch quick fast and speedy and led the team to the finals in 2001. And don't be suprised if the 76ers make noise this year and a title in 2007. Ai's the greatest player EVER to play the game, and if you judge on rings, that's pretty biased, Magic Johnson Larry Bird, all those greats have more rings then Iverson, but none have ever came into the league, after getting out of jail, wanting to play football, and at the same time came to an organization that stunk out of the world.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sixerfanforlife said:
Statsically Allen Iverson's the better player, when it really came down to it, Ai was clutch quick fast and speedy and led the team to the finals in 2001. And don't be suprised if the 76ers make noise this year and a title in 2007. Ai's the greatest player EVER to play the game, and if you judge on rings, that's pretty biased, Magic Johnson Larry Bird, all those greats have more rings then Iverson, but none have ever came into the league, after getting out of jail, wanting to play football, and at the same time came to an organization that stunk out of the world.
How can he be the best player ever? You're going to need to back that ludicrous statement up with something of substance.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Mattjb34 said:
First of all, no one hates Marbury. I enjoy watching him play, he's a very entertaining scorer and player. He's subject to the criticism b/c his game doesn't produce results. The one decent team he played on was the Suns (I exclude the early years in Minnesota b/c Garnett wasn't fully the beast he is now) with Amare, Marion, and I believe Jim Jackson. That was a very good team that made the playoffs but was bounced in the 2nd round, I believe. That same team exceled the next year under Steve Nash, winning numerous more teams and advancing farther in the playoffs until they lost to the eventual champions. Marbury has never carried a team to the playoffs the way that great players do, that is why it's hard for me to consider him a great player. There are many point guards that do more for their teams, which should be ranked higher than Marbury. Once again, this is not hate, I like Marbury but these are facts. Marbury is a very good player that is still young (26, I think) and still has time to improve, I hope it works out in NY. Hopefully he'll listen to LB, it should make him better, I see no reason why he shouldn't be just as good as Chauncey (he's a better athlete, better scorer, prob. not as clutch tho), I think it's all in his head.
The whole Phoenix situation you have is skewed. When Marbury was on the Suns in that year they made the playoffs, Amare was injured half of the season, and JJ was still young and not even starting. Also, Amare wasn't the dominant player he is today, he was a rookie. When Steve Nash came to the Suns, he didn't single-handidly turn them around. JJ got a lot better, Amare got a lot better and was actually healthy, they added Q, and they added a couple bench pieces such as Jim Jackson. Marbury had none of that, all Marbury really had that Nash had was Marion. (This is also a reason why I don't think Nash really deserved the MVP).

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ras said:
When Steve Nash came to the Suns, he didn't single-handidly turn them around. JJ got a lot better, Amare got a lot better and was actually healthy, they added Q, and they added a couple bench pieces such as Jim Jackson. Marbury had none of that, all Marbury really had that Nash had was Marion. (This is also a reason why I don't think Nash really deserved the MVP).
Ok, here you have a point. Both Joe Johnson and Amares game take off the next year when they play with Nash. Man, they must have really worked hard on their game over the summer, right? Wrong. Sure, you can contribute some of their progress to them getting older and more mature but the biggest reason they exceled is Steve Nash. You see, you're making my point here. With a better point guard, Steve Nash, above average players like Amare and Joe Johnson look better and the Suns magically start scoring more and become dominant. Amare was there when Steph was, he was R.O.Y., how can you say that Marbury didnt have that? Joe Johnson all of a sudden goes from decent bench player on the Celtics to a very rich man. C'mon fellas, how can you really dispute Nash's impact on their team.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Here's one the 1st seed in the western conference should have an easy trip to the NBA finals, and if it juust so happens to face the 2nd seeded Spurs, they are in 1st place right? Well that was wrong, and it was wrong because the team didn't deserve it, Nash didn't deserve it. Phoenix was the only victum in the WCF. Steve Nash is a mediocre point guard managing to find 2 championship-calabar situations. Too bad they don't go to fruitation.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sixerfanforlife said:
Here's one the 1st seed in the western conference should have an easy trip to the NBA finals, and if it juust so happens to face the 2nd seeded Spurs, they are in 1st place right? Well that was wrong, and it was wrong because the team didn't deserve it, Nash didn't deserve it. Phoenix was the only victum in the WCF. Steve Nash is a mediocre point guard managing to find 2 championship-calabar situations. Too bad they don't go to fruitation.
Since when has anyone had a "easy trip to the finals"? This is PRO ball with PRO players, not pee wee league. I don't know what the hell your talking about and I give up trying to teach you how this game is played. P.S. I forgot that the NBA loves giving the MVP trophy to mediocre players like your beloved Allen Iverson, my bad. (Not a knock on A.I., just trying to prove a point.)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Mediocre: Stephon Marbury
New York Knicks
Position: G
Height: 6-2 Weight: 205
College : Georgia Tech
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 16.3
RPG 3.3
APG 6.5
SPG .91
BPG .00
FG% .471
FT% .620
3P% .278
MPG 38.9

Philadelphia 76ers Allen Iverson (G)
Position: G
Height: 6-0 Weight: 165
College : Georgetown
Player file | Team stats

2005-06 Statistics
PPG 32.8
RPG 2.9
APG 8.1
SPG 2.23
BPG .08
FG% .441
FT% .795
3P% .286
MPG 43.8

I think Stephon's Numbers this year and Allen Iverson's proves my point END OF THE LINE

·
Registered
768 Posts
Mattjb34 said:
Kid, I said that like 30 posts ago.... I never was on Marbury's back, the MVP post was more of a credit to Nash (who Ras and you believe is overrated) than it was against A.I. Try to stay with me. A.I. earned the MVP in '01. Just like Nash deserved it last year. Both of which, I would take over Marbury. Try to follow along. Just so you know, I could care less about stats, its wins that matter. I could walk into the NBA and take as many shots as I need to get 30 ppg but I wouldn't win anything. Some people get caught up in that stat stuff. Take it easy on the caps lock too, tough guy talk on message boards doesnt work out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts