Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apersonally am getting a little frustrated with a couple of the starters minutes and how they are shaking down. Now if the backups were flat out out-playing the starters, it'd be one thing, but then you'd think the backups should be starting, no?

So I can see that Joel is averaging 22mpg and he and Theo are basically interchangable IMO. I though maybe Joel was getting limited minutes due to foul trouble, but he's averaging less than 3 fouls per game, so...?

Sergei I understand is young and new, but hey he's 4 of 8 from 3 on the season, isn't turning the ball over a tone, looks adequite on D, and is 6'8".But he's only getting 14 mpg. As a starter he sould be getting nearly tripple that. if that were the case and he scored and rebounded at that clip he'd be going for 9pts, 4 boards and 4 assists. Possibly more as he would probably start to feel more comfortable.

The team is doing about what I expected, but I'd really like to see Sergei get more time, especially since they are giving him the start.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
I agree. You cant get a solid, confident starter by giving a guy 14 minutes a game, sometimes even as few as 8 minutes or so.

Monia is going to be a player. Out of all our young swingmen right now(Outlaw, Martell, Viktor), I think he is the most "sure thing". I dont think or hope he will be the best of all them, but I do believe he is going to definatley have a long career in this league.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Joel and Sergei are white.

As is Steve Blake who gets no PT.

As is Viktor who sits on the IA list.

:eek8:

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MARIS61 said:
Joel and Sergei are white.

As is Steve Blake who gets no PT.

As is Viktor who sits on the IA list.

:eek8:
As much as I hate to go there and really don't think theis thread should go there, it did cross my mind, but then I remembered that it wasn't a factor in Seattle nor in hiring a lead assistant.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Joel and Theo get equal minutes because, like you said, they're interchangable and both injury prone. Fewer minutes means less opportunity for injury.

Sergei is a good player, but slowish. He gets beat on a lot of matchups. But, he's earned the starting spot by probably giving more effort in practice. If there's a matchup Nate sees Sergi doing well against, he'll likely play more. But usually, he gets outplayed early on because of inexperience. He is a rookie, after all.

Viktor... I don't know what the hell is up with that except maybe they are trying to work Ruben into the lineup as much as possible before the trade deadline.

Remember that Martell, Travis, and Charles Smith barely sniff playing time, and last time I checked, they're not white.

·
Registered
6,411 Posts
BlazerCaravan said:
Remember that Martell, Travis, and Charles Smith barely sniff playing time, and last time I checked, they're not white.
And Ha isn't playing either. Not sure which side that supports, but there you have it.
If anything, it seems like we are not-playing a whole lot of people. That's probably ok after 8 games, but at some point if we continue to lose and we continue to play the same few guys, we'll have to wonder just how awful those guys behind the bench really are.

barfo

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
Nate will figure things out, just give him a little time...

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Schilly said:
As much as I hate to go there and really don't think theis thread should go there, it did cross my mind, but then I remembered that it wasn't a factor in Seattle nor in hiring a lead assistant.
I DO NOT THINK THAT RACE IS AN ISSUE HERE but there were rumblings that Nate wasn't happy with the Sonics' draft picks in the years leading up to him coming to Portland. Looking at the previous four first rounders (they had no first in 2002 and had two in 2003):

2004, Robert Swift: white
2003, Luke Ridnour: white
2003, Nick Collison: white
2001, Vlad Radmanovich: white

Almost certainly coincidence, but I wanted to point it out. A point on the other side, of course, is that each of them (with the exception of prep-to-NBA Swift) got minutes under Nate.

Ed O.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ed O said:
I DO NOT THINK THAT RACE IS AN ISSUE HERE but there were rumblings that Nate wasn't happy with the Sonics' draft picks in the years leading up to him coming to Portland. Looking at the previous four first rounders (they had no first in 2002 and had two in 2003):

2004, Robert Swift: white
2003, Luke Ridnour: white
2003, Nick Collison: white
2001, Vlad Radmanovich: white

Almost certainly coincidence, but I wanted to point it out. A point on the other side, of course, is that each of them (with the exception of prep-to-NBA Swift) got minutes under Nate.

Ed O.
I agree I don't think race is an issue, I was just saying the thought crossed my mind.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I agree that Sergei should get more time as a starter, but being at the 2 he can't match up well against everyone. I think Nate is doing what he needs to do at that position. He has been watching the opponent and putting his two best options in accordance. Sergei needs time on the floor to get comfortable and he is getting better. Dixon, SUPRISINGLY, has been considerably better coming of the bench since Sergei began starting. It isn't the greatest combination, but it is getting fairly consistant production out of the position.

The Joel and Theo division is working out pretty well because they aren't straining themselves and they are both playing well with everyone on the floor. Although I think Joel should get more PT in the fourth QT. I think Nate is going with Theo for experience, but having Joel's picks would be more beneficial to the offense at times when we lose track.

I really wish they would use Kryapa at the 2. He was really great at defending "star caliber" SG's last year and I think would do a better job in most match up's then Sergei. Sergei would also do a great job at taking on Ruben's minutes, if he happens to leave.

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Re: Przybilla's minutes.

True, he's averaging a relatively low number of fouls, but he has gotten into early foul trouble in two games. Golden State and New York (1st game) In those two games, he averaged 14 minutes per. Throw those games out and he's averaging 25 minutes per game. Przybilla needs to not get into early foul trouble and he'll play more. It's pretty simple.

BTW, if Nate is racist, why would he be starting 2 white dudes?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts