Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Notre Dame’s Pursuit of Committed Prospect Suggests Hoops Recruiting Is Mirroring Football (Jeff Eisenberg, Yahoo! - October 2, 2012)

Earlier this offseason, Tom Crean took to Twitter to complain that "more and more people never stop recruiting other school's pledges" soon after top Indiana target Trey Lyles announced he was reopening his recruitment.

Kansas commit Brannen Greene told SI.com last week he's still being recruited with the fervor by other staffs as if he were still undecided.

Then on Tuesday, via CBSports.com's Jeff Borzello, comes the story of Austin Torres, a 6-foot-6 Indiana native who committed to Central Michigan last week only to renege on that pledge when Notre Dame coach Mike Brey offered a scholarship four days later.

"I told coach Brey on Thursday that this was a dream and something I wanted to pursue," Torres told CBSSports.com. "I was sure I wanted this to happen. And then I decommitted on Friday."

However you feel about Brey's decision to pluck Torres from Central Michigan, it's a reminder of one thing: Nothing is final in recruiting in either football or basketball until the signing period begins and pen can finally hit paper.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
The difference there is that Carter SIGNED with Bona and I have it on very good sources that his recruitment continued through street agents, shady dealings, etc. This is my primary beef with Bob Hurley, Sr. The moment Mike Rice got the job at Rutgers, I was told to look for Carter landing there. I brushed it off because of his signed LOI, but we all know what happened in the end.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
In a better world, coaches would all be gentlemen and verbals would be honored in spirit. Yet with so much money and so many coaching jobs on the line, this behavior is common and increasing.

Ultimately, though, I side with players. They should be able to change their mind. It's their life, after all. Nobody is forcing them to switch allegiance. Sure, they get pressure, but most players want to play at the highest level possible. They are the ones making the choice to switch schools. It's up to them to tell other schools to back off or stop taking their calls.

The truth is, quite a few recruits "settle" for an A-10 school but would rather have gone to a BCS team. We don't like it as fans, but we have no claim over a player's allegiance. There is a system in place. Students can sign a LOI, and if they break it there's a one-year penalty.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
In reality, there is no such thing as a committed prospect. You are either signed or unsigned. Yes, occasionally a signed prospect will bail, but that's very rare without a coaching change.

·
Registered
839 Posts
WH, I agree in the sense that it is the players life, and can change their mind if just a verbal commitment. I do think the players should make every effort to live up to the verbal - or not make the verbal if they are not sure. I think coaching changes should allow for an LOI to be broken. I do not agree with coaches pursuing a player after a verbal. I do think that was a rotten deal with Eli and Bona, but maybe it worked out OK for the Bonnies.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I think there are a couple of things the NCAA can do to make the commitment process more equitable for the recruit and the school.First, if a recruit is offered a scholarship (regardless of the sport) rather then making a verbal commitment they can sign a LOI immediately if they are in their senior year of high school. Second, anyone accepting a scholarship has that 'ship' renewed automatically every school year for four years assuming academics are in order and they are participating ( if not injure) in practices, Third, any recruit signing LOI is at their discretion released from the LOI without any prohibitions should their coach leave the school prior to the start of school.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
I see nothing wrong with staying on a kid if all they have done is verballed to a school. At that point, the kid has no legal obligation to the school and can change his mind just because he feels like it. If a school stopped recruiting a kid and then he un-verballed, they would be behind the schools that had not stopped recruiting.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I think there are a couple of things the NCAA can do to make the commitment process more equitable for the recruit and the school.First, if a recruit is offered a scholarship (regardless of the sport) rather then making a verbal commitment they can sign a LOI immediately if they are in their senior year of high school. Second, anyone accepting a scholarship has that 'ship' renewed automatically every school year for four years assuming academics are in order and they are participating ( if not injure) in practices, Third, any recruit signing LOI is at their discretion released from the LOI without any prohibitions should their coach leave the school prior to the start of school.
Sounds good to me.

·
Resident Arachnid of the MPT
21,701 Posts
This stuff has been going on a long time. During my years, I remember a story in the Collegian about Lefty Driesel (then at JMU) stealing verbally committed recruits from Richmond.

I recall that someone on Lefty's staff convinced the prospect's mother that UR was located in a ghetto and that her son would be consumed by the violence of the city. She was shocked to learn from Collegian reporter that we were in the suburbs. That she was confused on that matter also says something about our own recruiting practices during the Dooley years. <sigh>

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
One used to expect more from Notre Dame. With each passing season, you realize that ND is really no different than a school such as Tennessee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts