Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The 1972 Miami Dolphins may not want to believe this, but their record might be in jeopardy this year. Coach Bill Cowher is a believer in the Indianapolis Colts.

“We sit here now at 7-3 with a six-game season, basically. We are tied with Cincinnati and obviously face a big challenge Monday night going into Indianapolis to face the best team in football,” said Cowher. “I can say by looking at them the last couple days, I can see why they are 10-0. They don’t have a whole lot of holes in them. They are a very complete team. They are a very balanced team. They haven’t been in many close games.”

The Colts continue their race through the competition the NFL has been throwing in front of them each weekend; last week they traveled to Cincinnati to face the 7-2 Bengals and scored touchdowns on their first five offensive possessions. By comparison, the Steelers’ first five offensive possessions in Baltimore netted four three-and-outs and a field goal.

“They hit some big plays, and Indianapolis scored every time they got the ball,” said Cowher. “They’re good. You watch them and the one thing that you see is that they are the No. 1 team in the league in third downs. When you look at it on paper, you would say that’s not a good matchup, but I really think what has happened with their offense, they do a great job of keeping drives alive.

“When you watched game last week in Cincinnati, on a number of third-and-10s and third-and-12s, they converted in the first couple drives. It can get demoralizing for a defense. Then you keep giving them snaps and with some of the playmakers they have, a defense will break down and they get a big play.”

The Colts offense may be prolific, but it’s hardly high-tech. Offensive coordinator Tom Moore learned the trade as an assistant under Chuck Noll with the Steelers, and one of the things he took from here is that it’s all about the execution.
Steelers.com

Should be an interesting game, hopefully the Colts won't break the record and Pittsburgh wins! :D

Steeler game notes

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
Steelers 30
Colts 23

Roethlisberger 24-34 260 yds 2 TD

Staley 22-80 1 TD
Parker 11- 50
Bettis 6-27 1 TD

Ward 11 rec 140 yds 1 TD
Randle EL 6 rec 90 yds 1 TD

Polamula 2 sacks 1 intc

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
problem with our 3rd down D is I have idea but Lebeau is running a 4-3-4 on 3rd down, instead of last' years 3-2-3-3

we don't have the DT's to get pressure on the QB and Porter & Haggans haven't played DE in year's, I'll tell of you this Porter is best as a rusher when he is standing not in a De stance.

WE have got to back to 3-3-5

It should be

DE Kirshke
DT Smith
DE Kiesiel
LB Haggans
LB Farrior
LB Porter
DB Polamalu
DB Taylor
DB Townsend
DB Colclough
DB Hope

instead of

DE Porter
DT Smith
DT Vonoffon/Kirshke
DE Haggans
LB Foote
LB Farrior(whwn healthy)
LB Haggans
DB Polamalu
DB Taylor
DB Townsend
DB Colclough
DB Hope

Dime D should be 2-4-5

DL Hampton
DL Smith
LB Haggans (Drop back)
LB Farrior [ Cross Blitz]
LB Porter [ ]
LB Harrison (outside blitz
DB Polamalu
DB Taylor
DB Townsend (blitz)
DB Colclough
DB Hope

Colclough & Hope double Townsend's man

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cpawfan said:
I expect Parker to have a huge game with Ben back. No more 8 men in the box
I sure hope so!

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pittsburgh ~ 24
Indy ~ 21

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
IF the Steelers win they will have to run for 250+ yards and control the clock 35-40 minutes IMO....if Parker and Staley combine for over 200 yards then they can do it.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
Parker is not the Key running the Ball it will onew of the power backs (Bettis, Staley) the Colts DL is very petite and will get worn out tackling these 2 monsters which can set for the big Parker run.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts