Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Do you want Steve Franchise on your team?

• Yes

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 66.7%
  • Maybe So

Votes: 5 11.1%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you want him on your team?

·
Registered
614 Posts
no...PG that turns the ball over 4 times a game is a no no... plus his shooting isn't exactly enough to put him in as a shooting guard (42% fg, ~30% 3pt?)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yeah, he's off and on. I remember in houston he'd drop 26 and 8 on someone then the next game he scored like 5 points. Frustrating to watch at times.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
It would depend a great deal about what's surrounding him. If I have a team that has a lot of good, unselfish passers, he wouldn't hurt me too bad at the 1. But he's going to try to be a 2 too much, he's not good for a T-E-A-M. He's the type of guy that looks destined to put up good numbers on mediocre teams because of percieved character issues.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Hell nay.

His attitude and his overall approach to the game is weak. He hotdogs way to much...he just isn't a team guy. He would be a good fit on the Harlem Globetrotters.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I was thinking about this while thinking about Steve Francis' trade scenarios. I would only want Steve Francis on my team when I have a superior guard (mainly in terms of fame, someone like Gilbert Arenas wouldn't fit). Obviously, this is pretty much limited to Kobe, McGrady, Paul Pierce and maybe a couple of others. I say this because he would these guys obviously command a lot of respect, and Francis would have to give the ball up to them. In any other situation he would dominate the ball.

Then the other problem is once you have that backcourt, adding a bit of talent in the post. Does Milwaukee have two guys making approximately the MLE that they could trade to Orlando? Say like, Joe Smith and someone else. So then you've got Francis and a re-signed Redd in the backcourt and then you can draft Bogut or Taft.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
HEATLUNATIC said:
HELL NO!!!

Hes an overrated cancer!
Judging by the responses in this thread, it's safe to say he isn't overrated.

He's not one of the best point guards in the league or anything, but he's not that bad. Just because he's sucked for the past month, doesn't mean we should forget how he carried that team at the beginning of the year.

He's good enough to take a bad team and make it a marginal playoff team. A team like Atlanta or the Clippers would be well-advised to trade for him, since the bottom-feeders every year without him.

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
RP McMurphy said:

He's not one of the best point guards in the league or anything, but he's not that bad. Just because he's sucked for the past month, doesn't mean we should forget how he carried that team at the beginning of the year.

He's good enough to take a bad team and make it a marginal playoff team. A team like Atlanta or the Clippers would be well-advised to trade for him, since the bottom-feeders every year without him.
This is along the lines of what I think. If my team is average or better, I wouldn't bother, you aren't going to improve. If my team has a custom reserved seat at draft lottery, then I think it's worth the risk.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
He needs to be in the right situation, which is quite hard to find for someone like Francis, who absolutely must have the ball in his hands to be effective. That said, if he can ever learn to give up the ball more quickly and be content as a piece and not the whole puzzle, he'll be a much better player.

People who say he's a cancer and sucks don't watch much basketball period.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
RP McMurphy said:

You are so on the head... it's like whenever we have one of those "Who is overrated?" threads and guys like Antoine Walker and Wally Sczerbiak always pop up. How are they overrated when people are always claiming they suck?

The Magic would be stupid to dump him the way the Hornets did Davis.

·
do better
41,522 Posts
EHL said:
He needs to be in the right situation, which is quite hard to find for someone like Francis, who absolutely must have the ball in his hands to be effective. That said, if he can ever learn to give up the ball more quickly and be content as a piece and not the whole puzzle, he'll be a much better player.

I agree wholeheartedly.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
EHL said:

He refused to play in Canada!

He couldnt make it work with Yao when damn near every star guard in the league would kill to play with a C of his caliber!

Hes pretty much tanked since they traded his boy Mobley!

Lets not forget that hes also one of the most selfish players in the league!

Franchise is a great talent but he'll never be a part of a championship team!

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Pan Mengtu said:
Nay. His turnovers plus his insane dribbling kills him in my opinion. Of the 30 starting PGs in the NBA, i'd have a hard time placing him in the average range (13-17). I can think of several backup PGs who I think are better.
This is a perfect example of getting caught up in all of the negative hype surrounding Francis right now. Why don't you give us a list of 13-17 starting point guards who are better, and the backups as well.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Yay. Steve Francis is a fantastic point guard when he wants to be. That's about all that can be said about him. Just have to take the negatives with the positives. Regardless, he's a top 10 point guard in the league.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Nay. I prefer a true PG who is more worried about playing defense and creating for teammates than whining to the officials. He's got talent up the ***, and as EHL said, if you can utilize it right, I'd take him in a hearbeat. Until then, I'd rather have a more traditional PG, even if he's a little less talented.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts