Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Mark Price was a one time All-NBA 1st team and really only had 4 good seasons under his belt. He never became a great PG, but he was a good one. When we think of All-time great PGs, we dont think of Mark Price.

John Stockton was a monster throughout his career and is definitely considered an all-time great. Stockton had about 11 All-NBA seasons with 2 first team selection and a career average of 10.5 assists a game. He is a member of the top 50 NBA Players club and when we think of great PGs Stocktons name comes to mind.

Nash has 1 All-NBA 1st team and 2 All-NBA 3rd team. He has an MVP which none of the two have won, but it was not a dominant MVP performance. When all is said and done in Nash's career, do u think that Nash will have a career like Mark Price (one great Season) or John Stockton (great career and all-time great pg)?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
The first Steve Nash. There are already comparisons of players where they say like, "He's a taller Steve Nash" or "Steve Nash with defense" things of that nature. I think with one more good playoff run he'll be a hall of famer.

Mark Price is way underrated too. I don't know why his name doesn't come up more than it does. A lot of guards learn from his game, you can tell. Remember when one of our coaches gave Crawford a Mark Price video? A lot to learn about he played.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That's really weird. Whenever I think of players to compare Steve Nash to, Mark Price almost always comes to mind.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Nash was better than Price and I loved those Price-Daugherty Cavs teams.

·
Registered
681 Posts
HKF said:
Nash was better than Price and I loved those Price-Daugherty Cavs teams.
I have to disagree with you there. I was pretty young during his prime, but I hated Mark Price, which means I respected how good he was as a player. He used to give opposing PG's fits, much the way Steve Nash does today. Why do you think Nash is better than Price was?

·
Registered
664 Posts
inuyasha232 said:
ill wait till he gets to the finals.
but he doesnt need to win in the finals to go HOF.
i mean, stockton,and i think oscar robertson didnt win it all....

Robinson won a ring with the Bucks, though it was mostly due to Lew Alcindor.

I agree with the guy who said he will be the first Steve Nash, because you can't really compare him to either Stockton or Price. Stockton was a lot more efficiant and better passer then Nash, but Price could outshoot and probably outscore Nash any day of the week in his prime.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
However, one thing that Nash is better than Stockton and Mark Price is being a vocal leader. Stockton never really vocal with his team.

No one said Price isn't good, but I woudn't consider him great and put him in Kidd, Payton class and of course not Magic or Stocktons either.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Rednecksbasketball said:
Robinson won a ring with the Bucks, though it was mostly due to Lew Alcindor.

I agree with the guy who said he will be the first Steve Nash, because you can't really compare him to either Stockton or Price. Stockton was a lot more efficiant and better passer then Nash, but Price could outshoot and probably outscore Nash any day of the week in his prime.
true that.
just hope nash continues his play for the rest of his career.
the mavs offense never got him to his full potential,which is the level hes at now.
the question is, can nash continue this style of play for the rest of his days in the nba?
wat if his team decided to trade him(heaven forbid) to a more defensive minded team?
will he adapt well and still be dominate?

imo, the suns organization is a perfect fit for him.he has great offense and court awareness like jkidd.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well Nash has always been good, and I think he is good at adapting to what ever system he is put in. such as with Dallas, he didnt need to score very much, just pass the ball. and he did great in Dallas, he was an allstar and a vital part of that team, he then goes to Phoenix, which has a totally diffent philosophy, and he flurishes there too. if Nash went to a defensive team, it may take him a while but he should fit in, and do good there as well.

as for him putting up these numbers for the rest of his carrer, that will only happen if he retires at the end of the season. his numbers will start to decline, like everyone elses.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Rednecksbasketball said:
Well Nash has always been good, and I think he is good at adapting to what ever system he is put in. such as with Dallas, he didnt need to score very much, just pass the ball. and he did great in Dallas, he was an allstar and a vital part of that team, he then goes to Phoenix, which has a totally diffent philosophy, and he flurishes there too. if Nash went to a defensive team, it may take him a while but he should fit in, and do good there as well.

as for him putting up these numbers for the rest of his carrer, that will only happen if he retires at the end of the season. his numbers will start to decline, like everyone elses.
wow, u answered the questions correctly!
REPPED.
the answers u put were the ones i was looking for, except for him playin at the allstar level in dallas.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
I agree that he's the first Steve Nash, I just think he has a different style of play then either of those guys.
As far as ranking the three, I think when all is said and done, he'll be considered better then Price, but not as good as Stockton.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Steve Nash's defense is terrible, even when he was younger. As he gets older and slower, he won't be able to keep up at all on defense and his offense won't be as good. I'll give him 2 more years of playing at this level before we see a huge dropoff in production.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Incidentally, why doesn't anyone consider Mark Price great? He was a major player on some fantastic teams. IMO he's a hall of famer.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Mark Price is under rated, the youngin's these days dont research on Non-flashy, Non dunkers... speaking from experience, I know some young people who automatically dismisses players like Price, Daugherty, Hornacek, Schremfpt etc.

·
Your Humble Homer
11,083 Posts
You can't really compare Nash to Price or Stockton.

The only thing Nash and Price have in common is good FT percent.

I would say Nash is a better passer then Price was. And a better shooter then Stockton.

But I still believe Nash (in this offense) will put up 12pts 11assist type of numbers, even when hes 34+

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Price is an excellent comparison for Nash, especially offensively. Both are crafty, sharp and efficient shooters with terrific passing skills. If I had to nitpick, I would give Nash the slight edge in passing, and Price a small advantage in shooting.

I don't think Price belongs in the HOF, though, because he didn't have enough seasons in his prime and he faded rather quickly after turning 30.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts