Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Peddie hired Babcock, who hired Sam Mitchell. Anyone familiar with Mitchell will tell you that his single largest complaint as an NBA coach is not the way his team plays defence, which it should be, but the amount of time he has had to devote to media responsibilities.

Mitchell, for the record, hates the daily give and take and isn't particularly adept at it. Yesterday morning he thought he was being funny when he gave some grief to Fan 590 morning show host Gord Stellick on his promotional stint on the rightholders station.

It never looks good on anyone to fight with just about the nicest man on earth, which Stellick happens to be. But Mitchell was only being himself. He thought he was being funny. Instead he came off as rude and small.

And when you coach a lousy team with tickets to sell in a market that remains unaccepting, playing the wise *** on the sports radio morning show isn't a way to help yourself or your organization.
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/03/17/963710-sun.html

It's a couple of days old, but I don't really think that matters.
I haven't read too many of Steve Simmons' articles, but this one caught my eye.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
ummm who the hell is steve simmons???? like i no most of the jacka errr reporters that cover the raptors...but ive never heard of this "steve simmons"

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Yes and Steve simmons sure knows his basketball :laugh:

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
is anyone else shocked they managed to get the leafs involved in a article about the raps :rolleyes:

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Stellick is a hockey guy. Nuff said. And he's ugly and fat and that's why he's on the radio.

Simmons is also ugly and happens to be balding. His job is also a step above prostitution, if that.

Mitchell has all his hair, wears suits to work, has an exclusive job, and isn't too ugly to have to hide from TV cameras. Steve Simmons is starting beef with the wrong guy. Reminiscent of 50 Cent dissing Nas.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Budweiser_Boy said:
Mitchell has all his hair, wears suits to work, has an exclusive job, and isn't too ugly to have to hide from TV cameras. Steve Simmons is starting beef with the wrong guy. Reminiscent of 50 Cent dissing Nas.
:rotf: :laugh:

PROPS THAT IS AMAZING

·
Registered
211 Posts
I thought the article was interesting. I mean it must be obviously be something MLSE looks for when they make these type of hirings. I can understand it for the Maple Leaf side more because of the spotlight on them,the size of the hockey media & their opinions change on a daily basis.The Raptors doing that is suprising to me because they actually have to sell tickets & have to grow the fanbase. I'm not a fan of this though. All this stuff leads to is miscommunication between the team/fans & boring ***,predictable interviews.

·
Registered
183 Posts
blowuptheraptors said:
Blank Steve Simmons and Blank Gord Stellick. Neither of them know blank.
Gordie knows. The former GM of the Leafs. Made a great trade in his day.

Russ Cortnall for John Kordic. :krazy:

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Steve Simmons used to write the last page sports column in the Sun, right? The last page in the worst paper in the city = you rule.

This is pure media ego-ism. The sports media in this city has gotten SOO lazy that they feel that the Raptors have an obligation to do their work for them. What ever happend to, you know . . . . reporting? When Sam refuses to hand feed them crap, like whether or not he played in the NCAA tourney, they get pissy.

He claims that Mitchell is focusing too much on the media and not enough on the team's on court play, yet he is writing an entire article about media relations.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Boy are you guys a bunch of homers. Simmons is clearly a hockey guy first, historically, but his article wasn't anti-Raptors. All he was pointing out was that MLSE has hired people who are uncomfortable dealing with the media, which is probably a bad idea in a oversaturated marketplace like Toronto. In my opinion, he's right, Babcock, Ferguson and Mitchell aren't particularly adept in dealing with the media. And he's got a point about Mitchell's behaviour on 590's morning show, the guys on that show lob up softball questions, it should be easy to come off as the good guy. He's also got a point about Mitchell not complaining about his own team's defense, although I personally think he wants to keep criticism in-house, not in the media, which I completely respect. Viewing that article as Raptors-bashing is absurd.

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
well i disagree with simmons av liked micthell sincve he's becum head coach and he's had to deal with alot in his short stay. the raps basketball i watch now is so much betta than the rubbish o'neil had this team doing. keep it up sam.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Simmons is definitely a hockey guy. He appears every week on the TSN ripoff of ESPN's The Sports Reporters. I take all of his statements on basketball with a grain of salt. If this type of stuff came from a guy like -----------, I might be more willing to see his point of view.

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
JoSo said:
Simmons is definitely a hockey guy. He appears every week on the TSN ripoff of ESPN's The Sports Reporters. I take all of his statements on basketball with a grain of salt. If this type of stuff came from a guy like -----------, I might be more willing to see his point of view.
Just curious, what makes you feel his opinion (or Doug Smith for that matter) is any more valid than Simmons'? Just because someone is a basketball reporter, doesn't mean they know anything about basketball.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did I do something wrong in writing ---- from the Toronto Star's last name? Sorry, I didn't mean to write anything I shouldn't have.

Budweiser_Boy said:
Just curious, what makes you feel his opinion (or Doug Smith for that matter) is any more valid than Simmons'? Just because someone is a basketball reporter, doesn't mean they know anything about basketball.
I take Simmons as the kind of guy who writes about basketball because writing about the lockout is completely done. I don't think he's covered the Raptors as extensively as a ---- of the Sun or Doug Smith. He's not at every post game scrum, he's not at every press conference. He's a guy who happened to hear Sam on the radio being his usual snarky self.

I don't blame the guy, I felt the same way the first time I saw a Sam Mitchell post-game scrum on Raptors TV. He's one of those "love him or hate him" guys, there's no room for an in-between with Sam.

·
duke of new york, a#1
16,132 Posts
In an effort to curtail the amount of hateful threads directed at said writer, and in an effort to prevent said writer from getting free press as a result, a moratorium has been put on his name and his articles are not to be linked. It was a group vote. Sorry if you weren't aware, JoSo.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts