Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen 3 of his games recently, both when he was at SG and when Jent moved him back to PG, and I've got to say, that despite his immense talent, he is an awful NBA basketball player. Perhaps the worst decision maker playing PG in the league. Everything has to start w/ a one on one move for him. He doesn't understand how to operate within a team structure. He really only seems capable of running plays involving at most one other player, and that's a play where he initiates dribble penetration to break down the defense to try to get the ball to someone. When he doesn't have the ball, he just stands there on the other side of the court, and doesn't really seem to have any concept of spacing or how to move wo/ the ball. For a PG, a possession where you are reduced to having to take a jab step dribble at someone and then step back and take a fade away 20+ footer should be considered a failure. For Francis, long stretches of the game go by where it seems like this is the result he's looking for. And after he forces some awful shot or turns the ball over as he is wont to do, he often compounds the problem by fouling someone while attempting to make a steal or get an offensive rebound.

When he was younger, and was making these mistakes, I said, well, he's very talented, and he just has to learn how the NBA game works and how to get people the ball where they can be effective. But, if he hasn't learned it yet, I don't see much reason to think that he ever will.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Budweiser_Boy said:
Umm no, Francis will never average 8 assists over a full season.
Perhaps you though I meant Marburyville as a compliment? I didn't.

But hey, thanks for responding!!!! No one else did, lol.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
The worst is where he puts himself in isolation and just dribbles for 10 seconds at a time doing nothing. Waiting for the defender to blink so he can make a move or something. He just sits there. And sits. And sits. He's also a turnover machine, so that just makes it all worse. If you're going to be a shoot-first PG, at least make your decisions early in the shot clock and don't be 100% selfish.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Budweiser_Boy said:
Marbury >>>>> Francis

The Knicks are just a god-awful mess right now, even moreso than the Magic.
Hmmm, Marbury or Franchise? I really have such negative sentiments about both of them that I don't think I could choose.

I'll give you that Marbury's more effective at carrying out the type of boneheaded decisions that the Franchise and he make, but both players lead you the same place... lotteryville (or early exits in the playoffs, at best).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Francis doesn't seem like as big an ******* as Marbury (I don't think he kicked that photographer on purpose but whatever) but neither of them should ever be allowed to play PG in the NBA. Marbury is the better shooter and has more range but Francis seems to care more whereas Marbury is just happy to be playing in NY. Francis would never put up with the **** going down in NYC. It's sad because both have the talent to put up 22 and 8 every night but neither is committed to becoming a good point guard.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
SeaNet said:
I'll give you that Marbury's more effective at carrying out the type of boneheaded decisions that the Franchise and he make, but both players lead you the same place... lotteryville (or early exits in the playoffs, at best).
I don't think Marbury makes "boneheaded decisions." At worst, he's too scoring conscious but, considering the teams he's been on when that was true, it's fairly understandable. Unlike Francis, he's a top-notch play-maker for others. Yes, he does it off his own offense, but that's true of a lot of great point guards like Oscar Robertson, Gary Payton and Isiah Thomas.

Marbury will lead lottery talent to the lottery. He'll lead playoff talent to the playoffs, as he did as a member of the Suns.

That's true of pretty much everyone. The only player during my lifetime who could lead lottery talent to the playoffs was Michael Jordan. Maybe Shaquille O'Neal could, too, though he hasn't yet had that chance.

Francis, in my opinion, is a less-talented version of Marbury. He doesn't have the same passing skills, though he's probably as gifted a slasher.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Bl_ckB_st_rd said:
The Big O was not a PG
There were no firm distinctions between guard positions back then, but Robertson is most often designated a point guard by everything I've seen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Minstrel said:
There were no firm distinctions between guard positions back then, but Robertson is most often designated a point guard by everything I've seen.
From everything Ive ever seen he was a 3 more than anything.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't believe that people think so highly of Marbury, a PG w/ no feel for how and when to involve his teammates and how and when to look for his own offense. He's a fake star. The kind of guy who has to be the leader but is incapable of leading his team anywhere. 10 years in the league and he still hasn't done anything. Its not just the teams he's been on. Its him. As far as leading lottery talent to the lottery and playoff talent to the playoffs, Steph was leading that Suns team last year right into the ground. When every team you leave gets better wo/ you, you are part of the problem.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Bl_ckB_st_rd said:
From everything Ive ever seen he was a 3 more than anything.
Then you haven't been looking in the proper places. Start here, then look here

At 6-5 and 210 pounds, Robertson was the first "big guard." Magic was only one-year old when Robertson registered his first NBA assist, crashed the boards for his first NBA rebound and sank a jumper for his first NBA points.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Minstrel said:
I don't think Marbury makes "boneheaded decisions" <b>as often as he used to.</b> At worst, he's too scoring conscious but, considering the teams he's been on when that was true, it's fairly understandable. Unlike Francis, he's <b>can be</b> top-notch play-maker for others. Yes, he does it off his own offense, but that's true of a lot of great point guards like Oscar Robertson, Gary Payton and Isiah Thomas.

Marbury will lead lottery talent to the lottery. He'll lead playoff talent to the playoffs, as he did as a member of the Suns.

That's true of pretty much everyone. The only player during my lifetime who could lead lottery talent to the playoffs was Michael Jordan. Maybe Shaquille O'Neal could, too, though he hasn't yet had that chance. <b>Jason Kidd is also capable of doing this when he first gets to a team.</b>

Francis, in my opinion, is a less-talented version of Marbury. He doesn't have the same passing skills, though he's probably as gifted a slasher.
I agree with most of this, but I added a few points in bold. I will also add that Marbury has to be in the proper offense for him to be sucessful. I don't believe he could adapt to a motion offense.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
SeaNet said:
I can't believe that people think so highly of Marbury, a PG w/ no feel for how and when to involve his teammates and how and when to look for his own offense. He's a fake star. The kind of guy who has to be the leader but is incapable of leading his team anywhere. 10 years in the league and he still hasn't done anything. Its not just the teams he's been on. Its him. As far as leading lottery talent to the lottery and playoff talent to the playoffs, Steph was leading that Suns team last year right into the ground. When every team you leave gets better wo/ you, you are part of the problem.
:confused: How is saying Marbury is better than Francis thinking highly of Marbury :confused:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts