Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts
Ed O said:
Telfair was very, very good today. I've never been convinced that Jack is (or will be) better than Telfair, but as one who has questioned (and continues to question) picking him with the 13th pick last year, I wanted to chime in and give him some props.

I prefer to have a very good pass-first PG to a very good shoot-first PG, and Telfair was definitely closer to the latter today. With that being said, I'd prefer ANY very good PG to any other lesser PG... and these kinds of games, given his age and his experience level, bode very very well for Sebastian's future in the NBA as an above-average (and perhaps much more) player.

Ed O.
Good post Ed. Telfair had a very good game to day. At this time he better than Jack im my opinion and probably always will be.

Part of Telfair's assists come from passing to Miles and Zack. Miles had a very poor game today and although Telfair may not have gotten more assists to Miles the whole team would have played better and resulted in Telfair or someone else getting those assists. Because of Miles Zack was seldon in position to get into his game and this also resulted in lack of assists. Turning the ball over so many times negated so many assists as well.

The team just cannot play that poorly and score well in the "stat" department. Disapointing loss but some good things did happen.
Look out Memphis!

gatorpops

For years I wanted a pass-first PG. I still would like a PG with a pass-first mentality but at the same time, I have come to realize the importance of a PG with the ability to go off on someone for 27 pts on occasion.

If you have a PG who is an excellent passer but with limited offensive skills, it is tougher for him to get those assists as the opponent doesn't really have to worry about guarding him. However, when you have a PG who can and will score given the opportunity, it opens the game for both him and the rest of the team because the opposing team must guard the PG and cannot essentially play 5 on 4.

I have been cautiously optimistic about Bassy and wondered at times if he would pan out. One game doesn't change that opinion, but tilts the scale a little more to the optimistic side and a little less to the cautious side.

Also while Jack has shown skills and abilities, I think it is becoming increasingly clear that this is Bassy's team and that he is a key cog in how far we can go.

Gramps...

For Three! Rip City! said:
Sebastian going out and establishing himself as a serious offensive threat is the best thing he can do right now in my opinion. Even if he does lose some assists in the short term. Once the oppponents have to respect all parts of his game, then we'll have a true all star at the point.
Excellent point. The reason that I believe Steve Nash is better than Jason Kidd is that he's a more reliable shooter. Is Nash relied upon to score as his primary job, or even secondary job? No. But his duties of setting up the offense and finding the best opportunity to score on a given trip down the floor are helped enormously by the fact that defenses have to guard him anywhere inside of 35 feet. You've got to play him honest, whereas other point guards, even some very good point guards - like Jason Kidd - you can sometimes get away with sagging a little bit. That used to be the story with Telfair. By establishing himself as a reliable outside shooter Telfair may find himself with a defender a little closer to him... making it that much easier to drive around him, or find passing lanes.

I'll take a loss in NYC if it means opposing defenses are going to loosen up a bit.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.