Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to start this yet as, well, I may the only poster in it regularly. But, we have some things to discuss.

Last season SBU had NO seniors and could have returned everyone. However, there have been two defections by players whose roles were reduced this year. So Miles Latimer and Jeff Otchere are both out. Seems like Latimer came here to play for Boals. He gave it a shot with Geno and with his decreased roll and maybe not quite being in complete sync with Geno has decided to move on. A post on the SBU boards from someone who is obviously close to Jeff basically says that they love Geno but need an offense that will allow Jeff to "Bottom line is Jeff’s got to get better on O and in the meantime seek out Lob throwing, Drive draw dish guards to make it easy on himself on that side of the floor."

I'm quite confident those are the only two guys leaving. SBU is adding Frankie Policelli who should be an upgrade for SBU. He looked great in practice all year, but that was with the second team and reserves so I'll take that with a grain of salt. What SBU desperately needs, DESPERATELY, is a pass first point guard. They have offers out to some JUCO's and may be looking into the transfer market, but to me, that is the entire key to next season. If they don't get a floor general then every game will be a crap shoot next year again. Shoot a high percentage and win, shoot poorly and lose. I'd prefer to have some offensive sets to fall back on if the shots aren't falling.

[TR]
[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]

·
Registered
188 Posts
So as of today, you've got Juan Felix Rodriguez transferring in from Monroe College. He's a scorer - 18 ppg - but I don't know how much of a distributor. Also, I don't know if he'll be eligible this fall - Monroe listed him as a sophomore. Does Monroe play juco hoops?

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
So as of today, you've got Juan Felix Rodriguez transferring in from Monroe College. He's a scorer - 18 ppg - but I don't know how much of a distributor. Also, I don't know if he'll be eligible this fall - Monroe listed him as a sophomore. Does Monroe play juco hoops?
He is a JUCO transfer, yes. Immediately eligible.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mount St. Mary’s Transfer Omar Habwe has committed to Stony Brook. Averaged 9.4 points per game as a sophomore. 6'6" forward will play right away.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mount St. Mary’s Transfer Omar Habwe has committed to Stony Brook. Averaged 9.4 points per game as a sophomore. 6'6" forward will play right away.
Appears to be a grad transfer with one year to play, per Verbal Commits. His playing time dropped to under 20 minutes a game last season - hard to figure why after a solid soph year.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
149 Posts
Juan Felix Rodriguez is a bigger deal for me. JUCO transfer who looks to be a true PG’

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Eve of destruction seems to be eerily accurate with Jeff Goodman reporting both Garcia and Olaniyi are expected to transfer.... Tough break for SBU and the league at large (with the usual disclaimer if there's even a season next year etc etc).

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
149 Posts
I hate being in this conference.

I’m so angry. I have an entire rant. Maybe I’ll post it later. I’m too emotional right now. This confirms everything I already knew.

·
Premium Member
33,132 Posts
I hate being in this conference.

I’m so angry. I have an entire rant. Maybe I’ll post it later. I’m too emotional right now. This confirms everything I already knew.
Really has nothing to do with this conference and more to do with the state of the world. I mean, Olayini is not going to return to a school he's already graduated from when there is likely not going to be a basketball season; will likely pursue pro opportunities. Common sense.

·
Registered
43 Posts
welcome to the new reality. This is the world we live in now. The only reason why you play at the AE level is because no one better recruits you. The minute you prove you can play people start getting in your ear about where you can go. that is what happened to both these guys. Think about Garcia for a second. Recruited by pikiell, played for boals now Geno(who would leave in a heartbeat if offered a better gig). All this and not one ncaa appearance. Why would he not go live the big ten or big east life for a year? guarantee himself an ncaa tournement, with chartered flights and 30 pairs of shoes and ball boys who will wake up at whatever time to help you get your game better. Especially now when there will be a potentially shortened season due to coronavirus. And you don't have to sit out.

I would expect foreman to jump ship as well. Once the flood gates open it is hard to stop.

·
UMBC fan
3,889 Posts
Tough losses for SBU, but good points above by @nycwolfie in regard to coaching change and lack of postseason success.

While his recruiting has been average at best, I give Odom credit for keeping all his talent at UMBC for their senior years. UMBC caught a break in terms of Lyles being worn out in school changes, but turning down programs such as Florida and Kansas still must not have been easy.

I think SBU has some intriguing JUCO prospects coming in, though. There are so many good, athletic basketball players these days that even with the abundance of transfers teams can still put together decent teams.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We still got Foreman! One of the best 3 point shooters in the nation last season.
UVM will be ready for Foreman after our first taste of Foreman's capabilities. Benny and company will be ready, just like last game we played SBU. IF the season is played!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts