Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
welcome to the new reality. This is the world we live in now. The only reason why you play at the AE level is because no one better recruits you. The minute you prove you can play people start getting in your ear about where you can go. that is what happened to both these guys. Think about Garcia for a second. Recruited by pikiell, played for boals now Geno(who would leave in a heartbeat if offered a better gig). All this and not one ncaa appearance. Why would he not go live the big ten or big east life for a year? guarantee himself an ncaa tournement, with chartered flights and 30 pairs of shoes and ball boys who will wake up at whatever time to help you get your game better. Especially now when there will be a potentially shortened season due to coronavirus. And you don't have to sit out.

I would expect foreman to jump ship as well. Once the flood gates open it is hard to stop.
Yup. I'm a Wake Forest grad who became a Vermont fan once Wake basketball became unwatchable. Last year, Wake's football QB was the best player in America who no one knew about. Next year, when he should be a fifth-year Demon Deacon senior, he'll be the QB at Georgia. Their basketball center had a breakout year punctuated by a 30-point, 17-rebound performance in a win against Notre Dame. Next year (appeal pending), he'll be starting at center for Kentucky. It happens to the higher-majors too. But FWIW, I love being an AE fan. Most of the players stay for four or five years and appear to be actual student-athletes, unlike their counterparts at high-majors who are serving pro hoops internships.

·
Premium Member
33,132 Posts
Does anyone know what the early-entrant “draft process” even consists of in a COVID-19 world? Like, are these guys doing workouts on Zoom in front of NBA scouts and getting feedback? Have to think whatever the process is it’s pretty limited.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
149 Posts
The details finally come out. Andrew Garcia was the first to leave, which triggered the others to go. All of them are appreciative of Geno Ford and Garcia was quick to dispute any notions of a locker room problem. The non-conference schedule was built specifically for the senior-heavy roster: West Virginia, Kansas, Florida, games at MSG. The seniors had the entire season planned out for them to give them the best chance at success, and then they turned their back on the program, leaving Stony Brook to play this daunting non-con without the talent they thought they would have.

"What I worry about is that I messed up something great we built here together. If I hadn’t decided first, I think we might have kept this together.” - Andrew Garcia

Well, you didn't keep them together because you chose to go. So your platitudes mean nothing to me. You said it yourself that you thought "no one could beat you". And you still chose to leave and set off this domino effect.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
He's a 21-year old kid with a lot of bad actors whispering in his ear. Some day maybe these kids will decide that being a senior heavy team and trying to get to the Dance to win a game is a risk worth taking.

But if Garcia had said, "I love SBU but if I have a chance to have Duke on my diploma I'm taking that chance" at least I'd respect it more. Rather than just leaving to be a role player on a mid-level P5 team.

·
The People's Champ
700 Posts
He's a 21-year old kid with a lot of bad actors whispering in his ear. Some day maybe these kids will decide that being a senior heavy team and trying to get to the Dance to win a game is a risk worth taking.

But if Garcia had said, "I love SBU but if I have a chance to have Duke on my diploma I'm taking that chance" at least I'd respect it more. Rather than just leaving to be a role player on a mid-level P5 team.
Facts! 100%! Comes off as they're afraid to do what it takes to get to the next level. Settling for a role and hoping others will take him to the next level. Best of luck to them, though. Going to miss watching them play in the AE.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts